I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
TikiSoo

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by TikiSoo »

laffite wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:23 pm Blazing Saddles is the worst movie I have ever seen (or close) I have made two attempts.
Everyone else loves it to death so I chalk it up "not getting it." I didn't like The Producers either. OTOH, Young Frankenstein is one of the funniest movies ever for me, and Airplane! was very funny. So I am not completely bereft. As far as I know, my sense of humor is still i-n-t-a-c---t..
Well stated, laffite.
I was amazed when showing it to my teen at the offensive language and stupid humor. But I had seen it as a kid, first run in the theater and it was hilarious to me, my brothers & my parents. Guess Americans had a more liberal sense of humor back then, it wasn't offensive to any of my Black, Asian or still-in-the-closet-gay friends.
But seeing it now, it's shocking. If I were viewing it the first time as an adult, I would be incredibly disgusted. Times change.

It's like those Hillbilly movies of the 80's. I was too old to see them when they were first out, so the humor just seems juvenile to me now.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

TikiSoo wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:40 pm It's like those Hillbilly movies of the 80's.
What are "Hillbilly movies of the 80's"?
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:23 pm Blazing Saddles is the worst movie I have ever seen (or close) . . . The racial jokes were awful. And this from Mel Brooks!! Truly astonishing!
Richard Pryor was one of the writers of Blazing Saddles. I wouldn't at all be surprised if much of the "awful" racial jokes were provided by Pryor . . . who was never shy about using the "N-word."

". . . I don’t think you could ever get away with the ‘N’ word being done by so many white people so many times. And I kept asking Cleavon [Little] and Richard, ‘Are we going overboard here? Is this too much? Are we going to be in trouble?’ You know, Richard said the most brilliant thing, ’cause he was a very good writer and a realist. And he said, ‘You know, Mel, if the racists and the bad guys use it, then it’s perfect. But if good people use it, then you’re in trouble.’" -- Mel Brooks

The gag "The jig is up!" "And gone!" to me sounds like pure Pryor.

I was employed at a movie theatre that showed Blazing Saddles, which did boffo box office. The campfire scene -- which I found thoroughly juvenile and unfunny -- always got the biggest laugh from audiences (an observation that taught me about the successful strategy of appealing to the lowest common denominator).

I never got the spectacular financial success of Blazing Saddles and I don't get its enduring, indomitable popularity and appeal. But then, Mel Brooks' brand of over-the-top, everything-AND-the-kitchen-sink humor never grabbed me.

The one element of Blazing Saddles that I did like -- and still like -- is the title tune performed by Frankie Laine.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

EP Millstone wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:06 pm Richard Pryor was one of the writers of Blazing Saddles. I wouldn't at all be surprised if much of the "awful" racial jokes were provided by Pryor . . . who was never shy about using the "N-word."
According to the making-of documentaries I've seen on the subject, Brooks says most people assume the same thing, but in fact the only parts that Pryor worked on were the bits with Mongo.
Watching until the end.
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:23 pm
Blazing Saddles is the worst movie I have ever seen (or close) I have made two attempts. The last probably 10 years ago. The gags were like some cheap Wannabe SNL succession of skits that fell absolutely flat. I remember holding my hands over my face and yelling, "I don't believe his!" The racial jokes were awful. And this from Mel Brooks!! Truly astonishing!

Everyone else loves it to death so I chalk it up "not getting it." I didn't like The Producers either. OTOH, Young Frankenstein is one of the funniest movies ever for me, and Airplane! was very funny. So I am not completely bereft. As far as I know, my sense of humor is still i-n-t-a-c---t..
It is odd coincidence that you should mention two attempts to watch it. I had made two attempts preciously to watch: Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) and felt much the same about it as you find: Blazing Saddles (1974). I was able to watch it in full several days ago because we have moved to a state in which certain herbs are not illegal. I have been using sativa to control inflammation which does not respond to normal medication. The dosage is light and so the change in my perspective was slight but it did allow me to appreciate some of the underlying humour in the movie. That is all that was required for me to appreciate the movie for what it is.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:58 pm
laffite wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:23 pm
Blazing Saddles is the worst movie I have ever seen (or close) I have made two attempts. The last probably 10 years ago. The gags were like some cheap Wannabe SNL succession of skits that fell absolutely flat. I remember holding my hands over my face and yelling, "I don't believe his!" The racial jokes were awful. And this from Mel Brooks!! Truly astonishing!

It is odd coincidence that you should mention two attempts to watch it. I had made two attempts preciously to watch: Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) and felt much the same about it as you find: Blazing Saddles (1974). I was able to watch it in full several days ago because we have moved to a state in which certain herbs are not illegal. I have been using sativa to control inflammation which does not respond to normal medication. The dosage is light and so the change in my perspective was slight but it did allow me to appreciate some of the underlying humour in the movie. That is all that was required for me to appreciate the movie for what it is.
I wonder how much sativa I would need to get through Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death. (I almost spelled it Cannibis) I doubt it would be enough even to appreciate the movie for what it is. That might be the unkindest cut of all, to see it for what it is. But I know of course what you mean, it's a palliative, even a forgiveness. Apologies to CWITAJOD fans for using CWITAJOD as a foil to anything the least bit good. That would make a good word. All it needs is a definition. Word buffs ... ?

The year 1974 including a few years before and aft was not good for me. I was living a modestly dissolute life and things like Movies, Culture, Television, and other common distractions were not in my sphere of my immediate awareness. If I had seen Blazing Saddles when it came out or close, I might be singing its praise. This thought is inspired by what someone said here, that it played well at the time but later it was a shock. I can see now I never had a chance.

I hope your inflammation dissipates soon. Interesting to know that there exists a medicinal herb that works better that a pharmaceutical. I have never experienced this. I was prescribed the same or a type of same for something and I don't remember how it went or even what I wanted it for, probably for fun but I had a legitimate reason in there too. I think it was for sleep, haha. It was all the rage to be able use a legal outlet, not some side street dumpy looking store but from a respectable looking edifice operating a legitimate business (which they were) on the Boulevard. I don't doubt that my movie watching was improved. And listening to music was mightily enhanced. I'm not sure my State even has those outlets anymore. Please don't think I am implying any untoward-ness on your part. Perish that thought, I am just getting carried away here.

I DO wish you wellness. We went a whole week there without a meme but you posted one a couple of days ago. That's a good sign. I think you are on the mend.

//
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 2:08 am
I wonder how much sativa I would need to get through Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death. (I almost spelled it Cannibus) I doubt it would be enough even to appreciate the movie for what it is. That might be the unkindest cut of all, to see it for what it is. But I know of course what you mean, it's a palliative, even a forgiveness. Apologies to CWITAJOD fans for using CWITAJOD as a foil to anything the least bit good. That would make a good word. All it needs is a definition. Word buffs ... ?

The year 1974 including a few years before and aft was not good for me. I was living a modestly dissolute life and things like Movies, Culture, Television, and other common distractions were not in my sphere of awareness. If I had seen Blazing Saddles when it came out or close, I might be singing its praise. This thought is inspired by what someone said here, that it played well at the time but later it was a shock. I can see now I never had a chance.

I hope your inflammation dissipates soon. Interesting to know that there exists a medicinal herb that works better that a pharmaceutical. I have never experienced this. I was prescribed the same or a type of same for something and I don't remember how it went or even what I wanted it for, probably for fun but I had a legitimate reason in there too. It was all the rage to be able use a legal outlet, not some side street but right there on the Boulevard. I don't doubt that my movie watching was improved. And listening to music was mightily enhanced. But that was long ago, as they say.

I DO wish you wellness. We went a whole week there without a meme but you posted one a couple of days ago. That's a good sign. I think you are on the mend.

//
I thank you for your kind wishes.

I agree completely that it was a movie of its time. Coming to it years later means you lose the innate context. It is not possible to truly remember an era as completely as you knew it as you were experiencing it. I feel compelled to say that I am sorry for your loss because I am reasonably confident that you would have found it at least amusing if you had been exposed to it properly.

I mentioned the reason for my using sativa only to prevent people passing moral judgement upon me for using herbs. The situation is that I broke my wrist some years ago and it did not heal properly. The condition is idiopathic and refractory. There are times when I do not have to wear my brace for days or even weeks and there are times when it feels as if the brace is the only thing holding my hand to my body and I must use my prescribed opiates several times each day. The inflammation is due to several tiny bone chips which have become encapsulated making the surrounding tissue angry because they are an intrusion. This comes and goes with some regularity. It is annoying but not so serious as to require painkillers. The empirical evidence is weak but I believe it is helping.

It is sad to say that there are times when the only funny memes that I find can be construed as being political or religious. I wish to avoid any semblance of those in the thread. I thank you for your concern.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

LawrenceA wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:44 pm What are "Hillbilly movies of the 80's"?
Sorry, not any real genre or category. Just my description of Muscle Car Chase type entertainment popular in the 70's-80's like Smokey & The Bandit '77 and Dukes Of Hazzard.
The heroes all come across as crackers- light on brains, heavy on testosterone. My generalization is completely from outside impressions, having never actually seen any.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

LawrenceA wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:44 pm
TikiSoo wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:40 pm It's like those Hillbilly movies of the 80's.
What are "Hillbilly movies of the 80's"?

maybe this one?
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

TikiSoo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 8:11 am Sorry, not any real genre or category. Just my description of Muscle Car Chase type entertainment popular in the 70's-80's like Smokey & The Bandit '77 and Dukes Of Hazzard.
The heroes all come across as crackers- light on brains, heavy on testosterone. My generalization is completely from outside impressions, having never actually seen any.
I get what you're saying now. Yeah, there are a few sub genres that fit into that mold: "rednexploitation", and "Southern appeal". The former was kicked off by the phenomenal success of Poor White Trash, originally released as Bayou in 1957, but re-edited and re-released under the other title in 1961. It was a massive hit on the grindhouse/drive-in circuit, and produced tons of imitators. The genre arguably peaked with Deliverance, which itself kickstarted the "Hillbilly Horror" sub genre that met success with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes, among many others.

The more "reputable" "Southern appeal" movies were spearheaded by Burt Reynolds in the 70s, and usually featured dumb car chases, crashes and explosions. This trend also coincided with a boom in the country-western music scene, and stuff like Urban Cowboy. The car chases (and explosions) bled over into most mainstream action films over the next 20 years before enough people got tired of it.

But honestly, since you singled out the 1980s, I thought you were referring to the Ernest movies. I'm afraid I haven't seen any of those.
Watching until the end.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LawrenceA wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 1:25 pm
TikiSoo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 8:11 am Sorry, not any real genre or category. Just my description of Muscle Car Chase type entertainment popular in the 70's-80's like Smokey & The Bandit '77 and Dukes Of Hazzard.
I get what you're saying now. Yeah, there are a few sub genres that fit into that mold: "rednexploitation", and "Southern appeal". The former was kicked off by the phenomenal success of Poor White Trash, originally released as Bayou in 1957, but re-edited and re-released under the other title in 1961. It was a massive hit on the grindhouse/drive-in circuit, and produced tons of imitators. The genre arguably peaked with Deliverance, which itself kickstarted the "Hillbilly Horror" sub genre that met success with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes, among many others.

The more "reputable" "Southern appeal" movies were spearheaded by Burt Reynolds in the 70s, and usually featured dumb car chases, crashes and explosions. This trend also coincided with a boom in the country-western music scene, and stuff like Urban Cowboy. The car chases (and explosions) bled over into most mainstream action films over the next 20 years before enough people got tired of it.

But honestly, since you singled out the 1980s, I thought you were referring to the Ernest movies. I'm afraid I haven't seen any of those.
Terrific post. You ought to write a book on anything movies.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

TikiSoo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 8:11 am
LawrenceA wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:44 pm What are "Hillbilly movies of the 80's"?
Sorry, not any real genre or category. Just my description of Muscle Car Chase type entertainment popular in the 70's-80's like Smokey & The Bandit '77 and Dukes Of Hazzard.
I love "Smokey and the Bandit." I've seen that movie at least two dozen times and never tire of it. I even saw it in the theater last year.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LawrenceA wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 1:25 pm

There's also the 1958 Robert Mitchum film, Thunder Road, about a bunch of southern moonshiners evading the revenuers...
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

txfilmfan wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 2:58 pm
There's also the 1958 Robert Mitchum film, Thunder Road, about a bunch of southern moonshiners evading the revenuers...
Yeah, there are older examples, like Lil Abner or Tobacco Road and even silents like Sparrows.

By the way, another name for them that I forgot is "Hicksploitation" or "Hixploitation".
Watching until the end.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 2:40 pm
TikiSoo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 8:11 am
I love "Smokey and the Bandit." I've seen that movie at least two dozen times and never tire of it. I even saw it in the theater last year.
I planned to watch SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT (for the first time) when it was available on Watch TCM last month, but I missed it.
It looks like fun movie even though I'm not a big fan of Burt Reynolds or Jackie Gleason.