I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:04 pm (Still better than waking up next to THE LUME LADY.)
LOL. As long as she wasn't trying to sell me her product....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:07 pm Beth Howland, the original Amy in Company ("Getting Married Today"), played Vera on Alice.

Linda Lavin sang (well, sort of) the title song for the show.
And don't forget, appeared on an episode of MURDER, SHE WROTE! (playing another annoying character, her stock in trade!) Beth Howland, I mean.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

When txfilmfan mentioned the sit com catchphrases, that reminded me that back when Good Times was on the air, the nephew of a friend got a Christmas present of a Jimmy Walker action figure that had a button you could push and hear it say "Dyn-oh-mite!"

Perhaps you can even find one on eBay!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Please, lets forget Jimmy Walker! Everyone else has. Bad enough he pops up on Social Security commercials now.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

In defense of Linda Lavin, her performance on Broadway as Kate Jerome in Neil Simon's BROADWAY BOUND is legendary.

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: April 16th, 2024, 11:43 am Please, lets forget Jimmy Walker! Everyone else has. Bad enough he pops up on Social Security commercials now.
“What you talkin bout Willis?”
Been lucky lately. Have not seem JJ Walker or Joe Namath on the Boob Tube.
Frank's Red Hot too. "I put the **** on everything."
The latest Xfinity ad is yet another where they are bashing the competition.
They are pros at that.
In the Generac commercial, I know where Twain Harte is.
The bald guy in the ad, "Craig," is surrounded by trees. Knowing about the area, I'd worry about that more.
Okay, it is right next to Sonora, CA. in the Mother Lode.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Annie Hall (1977) opens with Woody Allen imparting perhaps his most pithy joke about two elderly women in the Catskills. One woman comments on the poor food quality, and the other mentions the small portions, which according to Allen perfectly sum up life. What follows is a rewatchable comedy about the relationship between eccentric comedian Alvy Singer (Allen), and Diane Keaton’s eccentric Annie Hall, who comes to New York to better herself by reading the right books, taking the right classes, meeting the right people. The ending and its musical accompaniment are sublime.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:06 pm
Lorna wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:04 pm (Still better than waking up next to THE LUME LADY.)
That made me laugh a lot.

LUME LADY
(holds out finger)
"SMELL THIS!"

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 16th, 2024, 9:19 am
kingrat wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:07 pm Beth Howland, the original Amy in Company ("Getting Married Today"), played Vera on Alice.

And don't forget, appeared on an episode of MURDER, SHE WROTE! (playing another annoying character, her stock in trade!) Beth Howland, I mean.
Who did BETH HOWLAND aka VERA aka DINGBAT play on MURDER SHE WROTE?!?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: April 16th, 2024, 4:37 pm

It was a small role in a later episode where she played a housekeeper whose habit of watering the plants helped to unravel the mystery in part; the episode was Lone Witness in Season 9 (AKA the Neil Patrick Harris episode)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME!!!!!!!!! She played an annoying neighbor (what else?) in Jessica's bldg (I think) Who watered the gem smugglers plants while she was away (she was the murder victim-the gem smuggler I mean!). She tried to come on to the smuggler's cohort (I'm making brisket!) but he wasn't interested!
Last edited by Hibi on April 16th, 2024, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:03 pm

It was a small role in a later episode where she played a housekeeper whose habit of watering the plants helped to unravel the mystery in part; the episode was Lone Witness in Season 9 (AKA the Neil Patrick Harris episode)
ARE YOU SURE??? I thought Neil was in another NY episode. Maybe not.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dear Heart where Angela Lansbury is something of a snot.
The movie has a Hallmark ending before they were into TV movies.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:07 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 16th, 2024, 5:03 pm

ARE YOU SURE??? I thought Neil was in another NY episode. Maybe not.
I'm pretty sure he was only in that one; it was right around the same time Doogie Houser was going off the air. Just checked, yes it was only that one, and Howland was definitely in that episode.

Unrelated meandering note: Meanwhile, when it comes to TV shows ending in 1993 (of which there was a ton: that year saw the end of Knots Landing, Cheers, Designing Women, The Wonder Years, Quantum Leap, Homefront, Brooklyn Bridge, and I'll Fly Away), I'll never get over the sheer chutzpah of one Knots Landing cast member who, after the show finished filming, went right over to LA Law, the series which had been its timeslot rival for 6 and a half years, and secured a guest spot on that show..... that aired directly opposite the knots Landing series finale! That cast member was on two networks in the same time slot at once that night!