I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
TikiSoo

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by TikiSoo »

Allhallowsday wrote: May 24th, 2023, 1:03 pm COMING HOME (1978) was on TCM last night. I hadn't looked at it since it was new (saw it on cable TV over 40 years ago)!
I had forgotten about the stir the lovemaking scene had initiated. It is still impressive and I give JANE FONDA a lot of credit, because it was a bold scene, even now! JON VOIGHT and BRUCE DERN also do a great job!
Whaa? A sex scene with Jon Voight & Bruce Dern didn't create a bigger stir in '78?
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: May 24th, 2023, 1:41 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: May 24th, 2023, 1:03 pm COMING HOME (1978) was on TCM last night. I hadn't looked at it since it was new (saw it on cable TV over 40 years ago)!
I had forgotten about the stir the lovemaking scene had initiated. It is still impressive and I give JANE FONDA a lot of credit, because it was a bold scene, even now! JON VOIGHT and BRUCE DERN also do a great job!
Whaa? A sex scene with Jon Voight & Bruce Dern didn't create a bigger stir in '78?
You're funny dear, but have you seen the film? I would be inclined because of my age to think most have seen the film, but I realize that's unlikely.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Tap Roots (1948) Blu-ray 5/10

A wealthy Mississippi family convinces their valley to remain neutral during the Civil War.

This was a Boris Karloff film that I was trying to find for ages, since it never seemed to turn up on TV, finally found it on Blu-ray. Karloff plays a Choctaw Indian who is the faithful friend of the family. He wears long braids and is handy with a whip, he gives a good performance.
The Technicolor looks beautiful on the Blu-ray and some nice on location shooting, the film is often talky and slow moving. It seems to be a Gone With The Wind wannabe but is nowhere near that. Susan Hayward is good as the headstrong Southern belle who is engaged to a soldier but falls for a newspaperman (Van Heflin). Heflin seems miscast as the charming rogue who always packs a pair of dueling pistols, just in case. Clark Gable would have been better suited but I'm sure he would want to avoid Rhett Butler type roles.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Also, looking at the film reminded me it was the reason I bought THE ROLLING STONES Flowers album...
I think I read that Jane used a body double in that particular sex scene, and although its been a while since I saw the movie, I recall close ups of her face in that scene seperate from the rest of the body. As for the film itself, it is very well acted by everyone involved, but the much rewritten story is a bit ragged and the final moments of the film seem inconclusive
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 25th, 2023, 1:35 pm
Also, looking at the film reminded me it was the reason I bought THE ROLLING STONES Flowers album...
I think I read that Jane used a body double in that particular sex scene, and although its been a while since I saw the movie, I recall close ups of her face in that scene seperate from the rest of the body. As for the film itself, it is very well acted by everyone involved, but the much rewritten story is a bit ragged and the final moments of the film seem inconclusive
I believe you are correct and I agree, not a great film for me, but good in many ways. In the lovemaking scene JANE enacts an orgasm, more particularly as a result of oral sex. I think it remains bold.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I LOVE YOU AGAIN (1940) WILLIAM POWELL MYRNA LOY FRANK McHUGH - Wonderful! On last night, I'd seen it before but I laughed and its sweet and silly.

CinemaInternational

I haven't watched it yet, but HBO debutted a documentary tonight about Mary Tyler Moore, and as a big fan of hers, I would love to watch it.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:29 pm I haven't watched it yet, but HBO debutted a documentary tonight about Mary Tyler Moore, and as a big fan of hers, I would love to watch it.
Yeah I'm looking forward to it too. I just hope it's about HER and not a schlocky love fest of people telling us how she influenced their careers.
CinemaInternational

TikiSoo wrote: May 27th, 2023, 5:25 am
CinemaInternational wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:29 pm I haven't watched it yet, but HBO debutted a documentary tonight about Mary Tyler Moore, and as a big fan of hers, I would love to watch it.
Yeah I'm looking forward to it too. I just hope it's about HER and not a schlocky love fest of people telling us how she influenced their careers.
I saw most of it last night. There is a bit of the latter that you don't like, but about 95% of it is about Mary herself. I think that it was mostly very well done, and quite touching
Detective Jim McLeod

I just saw it, I thought it was excellent, best documentary I have seen on MTM. I liked the fact it went chronologically and doesn't jump back and forth like many modern docs.

Like Miss Tiki, I don't like to hear current celebrities talking more about themselves than the actual subject. I also liked the fact that we hear the people (mostly ones how actually worked with or knew Mary) are just heard and not seen as talking heads. The only time I groaned was when Rosie O'Donnell's voice is heard.

I was huge fan of the MTM show, one of the best casts ever on a sitcom. One of the funniest things about Mary's character was she was a person who tried to avoid embarrassing situations but due to either circumstance or her looney friends, she would end up in them. Her reactions were often hilarious, especially in the famous "Chuckles Bites The Dust" episode.
Last edited by Detective Jim McLeod on May 29th, 2023, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: May 28th, 2023, 3:25 pm One of the funniest things about Mary's character was she was a person who tried to avoid embarrassing situations but due to either circumstance or her looney friends, she would end up in them.
You're right! I never thought about that angle before!
It certainly describes my favorite of Mary's "situations"....the green dress:

Even funnier was Ted's reaction to the dress.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

This was always my favorite episode, because for once, Rhoda and Mary had switched places in the karmic universe. We've all had one of those weeks, when everything seems to go wrong, and it even happens to Mary Richards...

Detective Jim McLeod

Mr. District Attorney (1941) Youtube -5/10

A recent law graduate (Dennis O'Keefe) teams up with a newspaper reporter (Florence Rice) on a case for the D.A.

This is an innocuous romantic comedy , the two leads are capable but no Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. The reason I saw it was for Peter Lorre, his role is small but important. He plays a murderous thief (named Mr. Hyde) and he seems to wander in from a different movie, since he plays it straight and very menacing. It ends with a comic chase scene.