I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

txfilmfan wrote: April 13th, 2024, 10:12 am
kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:27 pm
There are also regional differences, like Southerners (me, for one) who thought All in the Family was WAY TOO LOUD!!! PEOPLE SHRIEKING AT EACH OTHER IN UGLY ACCENTS!!!!!! Whereas Designing Women, so brilliant and funny in its early years, might not have made as much sense to people in other parts of the country.
I thought all of Normal Lear's comedies had people shouting at each other, all the time. All in the Family, Maude, Good Times, One Day at a Time, The Jeffersons - all of them had shouting as a normal, routine way of speaking. I find them hard to watch in reruns.
i tried to find a GIF of BEA ARTHUR shouting "NOT NOW, WALTER!" but no one has made one.

Instead, I found this: Image YES MOTHER, TEACH THE CHILDREN!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

So I finished THE GODFATHER, and after ripping AMC for mutilating it, I freely will confess to muting ALL of BRANDO'S scenes for his last 15-30 minutes or so of screentime.MAYBE MORE. it felt like he was in the whole entire last third.

i gave him a chance BUT THE DRONING AND THE MUMBLING AND THE LIP LICKING WAS TOO MUCH.

TALIA SHIRE- who I find prickly some times in other roles- was superb, I'm surprised she did not get nominated for this (she did for PART II tho)

i've read (and seen) alot about the making of this movie- and I have to say, the fact that the rest of the male cast froze PACINO out during filming is really evident.

Apparently ROBERT DUVALL and JAMES CAAN did a lot of clowning around on on the set and- TBH- while I'm fine with JAMES CAAN (as an actor), I DON'T LIKE ROBERT DUVALL (as a person or an actor) and I AND NEVER HAVE. (aside: this opinion includes his behavior presenting the 1972/3 BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS AWARD where he really disrespected the nominees- and apprently CAAN was involved)

i can really sort of sense how PACINO must've felt dealing with this bull**** in his interractions with them, and i like it.

and the finest performance in the film is without question PACINO
- and he is also THE LEAD without a doubt. apparently he was miffed at being nommed for SUPPORTING ACTOR. He had a right to be, he supports nuthin in this film and it is his...he also is the only character to undergo a STUNNING TRANSFORMATION- good as everyone else** is, there's little character development.

**EXCEPT BRANDO, and (sue me) DUVALL.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Lorna wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:17 am S

Apparently ROBERT DUVALL and JAMES CAAN did a lot of clowning around on on the set and- TBH- while I'm fine with JAMES CAAN (as an actor), I DON'T LIKE ROBERT DUVALL (as a person or an actor) and I AND NEVER HAVE. (aside: this opinion includes his behavior presenting the 1972/3 BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS AWARD where he really disrespected the nominees- and apprently CAAN was involved)

During the presentation of the award, Duvall noticed Caan making faces at him and burst into laughter just when he was announcing Shelley Winters's nomination for The Poseidon Adventure. Winters looked very upset by this. Duvall would later say he respected Shelley as an actress and an individual but Caan is somebody who could always break him up.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I have to admit that while I had seen THE GODFATHER maaaaaany years ago, I have never seen THE GODFATHER PART II until now.

I was so intrigued by the first that I figured I'd give it a go.

it's a long movie and I could give it a long review, but I'd rather try at least to just freeform a few quick impressions.

1. if I had to be confined to one space for the rest of my life, I would chose FREDO'S SUNROOM

2. SPEAKING OF FREDO, JOHN CAZALE is amazing in this film. I'm surprised he did not get a nomination for supporting actor, I really have to say, if we have to speak in terms of superlatives, his is the best performance in the film.

3. I don;t think I've ever realized how DEADLY HANDSOME DE NIRO was at the start of his career, ALSO, I enjoyed how he sort of retroactively worked to salvage BRANDO'S work in the previous film (I know some would say "homage") he was an absolute MOVIE STAR.

4. I kept pausing and replaying the ITALY scenes in this and in THE FIRST FILM so I could check out the different plants- I spotted FOUR O'CLOCKS and (I think) GLADIOLUS and IRIS and OLEANDER and PRICKLY PEAR but was especially surprised to see some lovely HOLLYHOCKS- which were prominent in the scene where DE NIRO disembowels the dude who killed his family and then has a shootout. IT WAS also fascinating to see how they restored the garden from the first movie to the second.

5. I'm glad that whoever STYLED THE LADIES HAIR did not do to DIANE KEATON what they did on the first film. Lord, do I ever understand her bangs now.

6. I did not know that MICHAEL V. GAZZO was the same guy from AN EPISODE OF COLUMBO I saw where he played THE VICTIM. He is a DAMNED HOOT, I don't know HOW he did THAT THING where HE SEEMS AT ALL TIME TO HAVE A DEMON SPEAKING THROUGH HIM or maybe HE'S DUBBED IN A JAPANESE ANIME, because he his this wild quality of speaking...Man, if this guy read THE EVENING NEWS i would tune in EVERY NIGHT.

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:24 am

During the presentation of the award, Duvall noticed Caan making faces at him and burst into laughter just when he was announcing Shelley Winters's nomination for The Poseidon Adventure. Winters looked very upset by this. Duvall would later say he respected Shelley as an actress and an individual but Caan is somebody who could always break him up.

IT MAY have been BAD LUCK/BAD TIMING but STILL, c'mon man- think of the five women who are nominated, it's their moment, not "yours"- I've watched the footage and it just BOTHERS ME every time I see it, it's a very rude thing to do.

(edit- he really starts laughing when he says FAT CITY- the film for which SUSAN TYRELL recieved her only nomination and then goes in to saying WINTERS'S name)

LORD KNOWS if something like this happened NOWADAYS there would be a FUROR.

(some would say deservedly so)
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Lorna wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:49 am k him up.
IT MAY have been BAD LUCK/BAD TIMING but STILL, c'mon man- think of the five women who are nominated, it's their moment, not "yours"- I've watched the footage and it just BOTHERS ME every time I see it, it's a very rude thing to do.

(edit- he really starts laughing when he says FAT CITY- the film for which SUSAN TYRELL recieved her only nomination and then goes in to saying WINTERS'S name)

[/quote]

Aw, these Hollywood types are WAY too sensitive nowadays, they need to toughen up!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:49 am

Regardless of whether James Caan was making faces in the audience, Robert Duvall should have had more respect to not laugh when reading the names of the nominees. Very rude!
I don't condone violence, but maybe in this case a slap would have been justified.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 14th, 2024, 3:04 pm

Regardless of whether James Caan was making faces in the audience, Robert Duvall should have had more respect to not laugh when reading the names of the nominees. Very rude!
I don't condone violence, but maybe in this case a slap would have been justified.
He incurred the wrath of Shelley Winters, which was punishment in and of itself, because she had a lot of ins in the industry. That said, given how angry she was over the moment at the Oscars, it is beyond shocking that she signed on to play the villain in Cleopatra Jones, where her henchman's dying words were an insult about her weight that I dare not reprint here. Suffice it to say, it was a bigger insult than the Oscar one.

(BTW, regarding your new avatars, am I mistaken or is your companion the one who wrote that wonderful post about Goodbye Mr. Chips a few weeks ago?)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 14th, 2024, 3:17 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 14th, 2024, 3:04 pm

He incurred the wrath of Shelley Winters, which was punishment in and of itself, because she had a lot of ins in the industry. That said, given how angry she was over the moment at the Oscars, it is beyond shocking that she signed on to play the villain in Cleopatra Jones, where her henchman's dying words were an insult about her weight that I dare not reprint here. Suffice it to say, it was a bigger insult than the Oscar one.

(BTW, regarding your new avatars, am I mistaken or is your companion the one who wrote that wonderful post about Goodbye Mr. Chips a few weeks ago?)
No, the sweetie does not post here directly, although I do incorporate the sweetie's perspective into my posts sometimes.
(Sometimes I will be posting and the sweetie will say "Are you causing mischief again?")

I agree with you about the great post about GOODBYE, MR CHIPS.
Usually when someone makes one post and disappears on these kinds of discussion boards, it is usually a snarky snip, but that poster made a very thoughtful post.
Hopefully they will come back
CinemaInternational

Lorna wrote: April 14th, 2024, 10:17 am So I finished THE GODFATHER, and after ripping AMC for mutilating it, I freely will confess to muting ALL of BRANDO'S scenes for his last 15-30 minutes or so of screentime.MAYBE MORE. it felt like he was in the whole entire last third.

i gave him a chance BUT THE DRONING AND THE MUMBLING AND THE LIP LICKING WAS TOO MUCH.

TALIA SHIRE- who I find prickly some times in other roles- was superb, I'm surprised she did not get nominated for this (she did for PART II tho)

i've read (and seen) alot about the making of this movie- and I have to say, the fact that the rest of the male cast froze PACINO out during filming is really evident.

i can really sort of sense how PACINO must've felt dealing with this bull**** in his interractions with them, and i like it.

and the finest performance in the film is without question PACINO
- and he is also THE LEAD without a doubt. apparently he was miffed at being nommed for SUPPORTING ACTOR. He had a right to be, he supports nuthin in this film and it is his...he also is the only character to undergo a STUNNING TRANSFORMATION- good as everyone else** is, there's little character development.

**EXCEPT BRANDO, and (sue me) DUVALL.

If it's any comfort to you, Duvall did not appear in the third Godfather film in 1990. That film does not have a good reputation (largely due to one element that you likely know from reading film magazines at the time), but it is better than reputation would indicate, an autumnal, tragic film with a Michael Corleone suddenly dealing with an onslaught of guilt for his many years of evil, and finding that he can not escape all the misery he caused. Talia Shire's role is considerably beefed up, and she kind of runs away with the film. It's a striking film.

And yes, Pacino's supporting nod for #1 is one of the biggest category fraud occurrences they ever had at the Oscars, right up there with Timothy Hutton and Tatum O'Neal.
CinemaInternational

Oh, forgot to say that I watched 1969's The Appointment, which was on a few days ago. It's basically Sidney Lumet trying to emulate the low-key, quiet, meandering nature of a Michelangelo Antonioni film. It's very vague, yet it is interesting, with solid as always work from Omar Sharif.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Yes, I saw GODFATHER III when it came out- we stole pay per view and it ran on loop.
It was 1990 I think?
I was 12 years old and I kid you not, one day I ran upstairs and grabbed a black wig and a fake rubber nose, and did an impression of Miss Sofia Coppola‘s EPIC performance for my sister and her friend.
GODFATHER III might well be a good movie, but it’s just hard to get past *that performance*.

And also Diane Keaton‘s perm.
CinemaInternational

Lorna wrote: April 14th, 2024, 4:39 pm Yes, I saw GODFATHER III when it came out- we stole pay per view and it ran on loop.
It was 1990 I think?
I was 12 years old and I kid you not, one day I ran upstairs and grabbed a black wig and a fake rubber nose, and did an impression of Miss Sofia Coppola‘s EPIC performance for my sister and her friend.
GODFATHER III might well be a good movie, but it’s just hard to get past *that performance*.

And also Diane Keaton‘s perm.
Yes, it was 1990.

Even with her later successful writing and directing career, Sofia's performance has remained reviled. I was on another website where they were voting as to who was the worst of each Razzie acting lineup. She got over 85% of the vote for 1990.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Lorna, I thought I was the only person on the planet not favorably impressed by Robert Duvall's performance in THE GODFATHER. The character was so much more interesting in the book.

And as for Brando . . . sigh. "Acting at acting," one of the non-believer critics called it. "Watch me do my acting shtick." Just as in MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, we get to watch Brando watching himself play an English fop. Brando in the 1950s usually plays characters. After that, he usually watches himself play characters.

For my money, Richard Castellano gives the best performance in THE GODFATHER, and yes, John Cazale is wonderful in G2. The women in G1 are there to wear period costumes and hairstyles, and yes, they are not flattering to Diane Keaton.

Michael V. Gazzo is the playwright who wrote A HATFUL OF RAIN. He's a lot of fun in G2.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I’ve been watching The Masters all day.