Do you have any 'special occasion' films?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Do you have any 'special occasion' films?

Post by pktrekgirl »

Since my one-and-only special occasion classic film is quickly coming up on the schedule, I was wondering if anyone else has any films that they *always* watch on a particular holiday?

For me, there is only one at the moment: I always watch YANKEE DOODLE DANDY on the 4th of July.

For me, there is no better way to celebrate the 4th. Cagney is great - well, really MORE than just 'great' in this film. He is positively brilliant.

And the film itself helps me remember a finer time in history for our military - a time when they were asked to fight for something that was truly worthwhile and necessary. And fought with honor and pride.

The ending of this films leaves me with a lump in my throat every time, and it is simply tremendous.

Right now this film is my only 'annual event'. Although I'm thinking of adding CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT to the list as I watched it last Christmas Day and really loved it.

Anyone else have any special occasion films?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I always watch 1776 on the Fourth. As far as recorded movies that I own, I think I tend to watch summer-themed movies in the winter, and vice versa, just to have a little "escape."

I always watch Laurel & Hardy films and shorts that I own on their respective birthdays (and at many other times as well, but I make it a point to watch them on their birthdays). I think I do tend to watch my own copies of the films of favorite stars on their birthdays, to the extent that I own such films, mostly because I am more mindful of them on those dates.

I very much miss the way TV stations used to show thematic movies on holidays. Nowadays, all you get on major holidays is reruns, and the holiday-themed episodes of regular shows are broadcast long before the actual holiday. Confusing, and not particularly entertaining that way.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The only one I really have is "It's A Wonderful Life." We have friends that we have watched it with nearly every year since 1981. It's as much a part of our Christmas as putting up a tree. Anymore it's less about the film than the tradition of getting together but it still makes for a lovely evening.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My wife and I watch the original version of The Mummy (1932) every Halloween.

We have a lot of Christmas shows we watch:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original w/Karloff)
Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Topper the penguin rules!)
A Greater Tuna Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

jdb1 wrote:I always watch 1776
I always watch Laurel & Hardy films and shorts that I own on their respective birthdays (and at many other times as well, but I make it a point to watch them on their birthdays). I think I do tend to watch my own copies of the films of favorite stars on their birthdays, to the extent that I own such films, mostly because I am more mindful of them on those dates.
Ah! Now, I do watch films of my favorite stars on their birthdays. Not any film in particular though - in fact, a different one each year. But I do watch one of my favorites on April 16 (Chaplin's birthday), May 6 (Valentino's birthday), May 7 (Gary Cooper's birthday) and June 20 (Errol Flynn's birthday). This year I will be adding Barbara Stanwyck to that list (July 16) - it is her 100th birthday and I plan to celebrate that...but I really plan to do so every year as she is my favorite actress.

In the past I have also celebrated Humphrey Bogart's birthday (January 23), but did not do it this past year. I should really get back to doing that, however, since I need a couple of winter birthdays to celebrate! And I While I don't always watch one of her films, I always remember Olivia deHavilland's birthday - it's easy to remember as she is still alive.

I 'celebrate' only one death - Valentino's death on August 23rd. But pretty much all of Valentino fandom memorializes his death - in fact, probably more-so than his birthday. Longest running memorial service in Hollywood, in fact - they haven't missed a single year.
Moraldo Rubini

Holidaze

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I watch Home for the Holidays and Pieces of April every Thanksgiving. The Apartment every Christmas.
vallo

Post by vallo »

March of the Wooden Soldiers on Thankgiving and Alastair Sim as Scrooge on Christmas Eve.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I always watch Easter Parade on Easter. I'm not one for religious films.

I have lots of Christmas movies that I watch during the holiday season. But, I always try to watch Meet Me in St. Louis on Christmas Eve.

Sandy K
dianabat

Post by dianabat »

Not sure if this qualifies as an occasion, but I try to watch "Angels in the Outfield" on baseball's opening day. (It's great to have this on DVD so I can 'retire' my old tape.) I love baseball, and this movie serves to remind me that anything is possible, even with my beloved Phillies.

Di
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome, Dianabat! I'm so glad that you've paid us a visit. I agree about the enduring charm of Angels in the Outfield.

I usually need to watch at least one baseball movie per season. This year it was The Stratton Story (1949) with James Stewart and June Allyson in the real life tale of the pitcher who overcame his loss of a leg. Excellent performance by Stewart and (natch) the great character actors Agnes Moorehead and Frank Morgan. Allyson was--for once--just right as the rather tough little wife. (I usually find her tough to take, but not in this one).
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

I made a point of showing my family "Let's Say it With Firecrackers" (Astaire tap number from Holiday Inn) on the Fourth. My brother and his girlfriend, who'd never seen it before (!) were gratifyingly impressed.
dianabat

Post by dianabat »

moirafinnie wrote:Welcome, Dianabat! I'm so glad that you've paid us a visit. I agree about the enduring charm of Angels in the Outfield.
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

I was reminded last night of another 'occasion' movie -- "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles." We watch it every year on the day before Thanksgiving. It's not a classic in the commonly accepted terms, and it's doubtful it will ever be considered as such. But in between all the nonsensical, almost slapstick antics in the film there's a germ of sweetness, a kernel of truth, a reminder of why we should be thankful. That makes it a must-see in our household.

Di
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hello and welcome as well, Dianabat...I believe we recently had a conversation about Ross MacDonald on the other site...

But one occasion movie (among many) for me is FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN exactly on or about Halloween. It's my favorite of the Universal combo monster platters and it always seems right at home come the end of October...
dianabat

Post by dianabat »

Dewey1960 wrote:Hello and welcome as well, Dianabat...I believe we recently had a conversation about Ross MacDonald on the other site...
Thanks, Dewey! We did indeed. In fact I have you to thank/blame for my most recent Barnes & Noble purchase of five Margaret Millar titles. *g*
Dewey1960 wrote:But one occasion movie (among many) for me is FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN exactly on or about Halloween. It's my favorite of the Universal combo monster platters and it always seems right at home come the end of October...
I have a soft spot for the Universal horror series. Those movies used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid, and though they're no longer nightmare fodder they still manage to provide a jolt or two. My favorite is "Bride of Frankenstein."

Di