The 1960s

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LiamCasey

Re: The 1960s

Post by LiamCasey »

LawrenceA wrote: January 21st, 2023, 1:48 pm Now it's time to lean back and enjoy the crickets.
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

Man! You guys really worked on these. Your due diligence is impressive. It reminded me how many great flicks were made in the 60s. I'm old and my tastes were shaped during that decade. Obviously, there are really good films being made now. However, I'm ready for the Super Hero, Comic Book and Old TV Show trend to end. I guess the younger viewers enjoy them and they make money for the studios, so they'll be around for awhile.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Neither of you rated Andrei Rublev highly? Or did neither of you see it?
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Fedya wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 8:18 pm Neither of you rated Andrei Rublev highly? Or did neither of you see it?
I'm not a fan. For me, it's perhaps second only to Umbrellas of Cherbourg as the movie with the highest critical cache that I didn't like at all.

And I like other Tarkovsky films (Solaris, Stalker) a lot. But for some reason Andrei Rublev annoyed the hell out of me. I should probably try it again one day, although I can do without the horse killing scene.
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

A noble attempt was made by Joseph Strick in 1967, to adapt James Joyce's Ulysses for the screen. I'm a fan of the film, which has a great cast: Milo O'Shea, Barbara Jefford, Maurice Roeves, and T.P. McKenna. Here's Molly Bloom's Soliloquy, which concludes the film:

Mary Ellen Bute's film, Passages from James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake (1966) was another attempt to film the unfilmable in the 1960s. The result is interesting. Here's a montage:

Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

One for each year-

60 Psycho
61 West Side Story
62 What Ever Happened To Baby Jane
63 Love With The Proper Stranger
64 Goldfinger
65 A Patch Of Blue
66 The Good The Bad And The Ugly
67 To Sir With Love
68 Rosemary's Baby
69 Midnight Cowboy
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

For me, that would probably be Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. I hate every character in the movie.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Fedya wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:28 pm For me, that would probably be Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. I hate every character in the movie.
I would question one's sanity if they didn't hate all 4 of the main characters in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, but I don't dislike the film. I do find the film to be one that doesn't need repeat viewing. Who needs all the life within their soul sucked out more than once!
Andree

Post by Andree »

I've never found the characters in Virginia Woolf to be hateful. Annoying to various degrees sure, but not hateful.
George is a witty guy who goes off the tracks very easily and turns into a bit of boor. He might be fun for a while,
but a steady diet of George would not be helpful. Martha is much the same and gives as good as she gets or better.
Like George, not bad in small doses, but not someone you'd like to be around for an extended period. Nick is mostly
just an aging jock not immune to trying to get a little tail, if the opportunity is there, but basically nothing out of the
ordinary. And Honey certainly has some problems, which a good headshrinker might eventually straighten out and she
becomes a whiny alkie as the night progresses, but she's basically harmless. I've watched it three or four times over
the years with fairly long intervals between viewings and it still works.

Winter Light is pretty much an epitome of Bergmanism and a real hoot too. Angst, alienation, inability to communicate,
dysfunctional love, suicide, Volvos, and of course spiritual doubt and questioning. Is God listening, is He here, is He out walking His
dog? Plus the wintry scenery and that sad nearly empty church just enhance that feeling of universal loneliness. It's really has
just about everything one expects from Bergman. The only thing missing is a spider on the wall.

I don't do too many lists anymore, but when I did I always kept the American and foreign films separate. Just seemed simpler
and more logical.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

LawrenceA wrote: January 21st, 2023, 1:48 pm Now it's time to lean back and enjoy the crickets.
Your posts really really deserve that much needed 'like' button.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

1960 The ones I really liked.

1. The Magnificent Seven
2. Spartacus
3. Tunes of Glory
4. Psycho
5. The Apartment
6. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
7. Elmer Gantry
8. La Dolce Vita