ziggy6708a

Re: Coming up on TCM...

Post by ziggy6708a »

:shock:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

As you can see in the clip, Dave and Alexa were joking that there were no internet film references so they had to use books as a source of information, and pointed to a book on the coffee table. However, they never identifed what the example book was. Does anyone have any idea what this book might be? I realize the picture is not very good so there isn't much to go on.

I can't believe they missed a chance to plug something. (Nice socks and sweatshirt, by the way.)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Paul Thomas Anderson has chosen two fun ones for his Two For One movies tonight (April 20).

THE BAD NEWS BEARS (1976)
BUGSY MALONE (1976)

I own a copy of BUGSY MALONE, but I'll watch Paul Thomas Anderson's comments about the movie if it's on Watch TCM
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:23 pm Paul Thomas Anderson has chosen two fun ones for his Two For One movies tonight (April 20).

BUGSY MALONE (1976)

I own a copy of BUGSY MALONE, but I'll watch Paul Thomas Anderson's comments about the movie if it's on Watch TCM
Given that both were released by Paramount in the same year, it makes on wonder if some drive-in back in 1976 put them on the same double bill. It would make sense.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:37 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:23 pm Paul Thomas Anderson has chosen two fun ones for his Two For One movies tonight (April 20).

BUGSY MALONE (1976)

Given that both were released by Paramount in the same year, it makes on wonder if some drive-in back in 1976 put them on the same double bill. It would make sense.
The pair were a standard double bill back in their day if I'm not mistaken, CinemaInternational.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

I found this in a review for the VHS version of Bugsy Malone:

"The film was released in late 1976 to positive reviews. It currently holds a score of 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. Despite the positive critical reception, Bugsy Malone was not a commercial success in the US, bringing in just over $2.7 million. Paramount released it limited, usually dumping it onto second-tier theaters in a double-bill with The Bad News Bears, which had already been out for six months, and was no longer much of a draw."

https://vhscollector.com/movie/bugsy-malone-0

So it really does fit the basis of the 'Two for One' theme.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

cmovieviewer wrote: April 20th, 2024, 8:40 pm I found this in a review for the VHS version of Bugsy Malone:

"The film was released in late 1976 to positive reviews. It currently holds a score of 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. Despite the positive critical reception, Bugsy Malone was not a commercial success in the US, bringing in just over $2.7 million. Paramount released it limited, usually dumping it onto second-tier theaters in a double-bill with The Bad News Bears, which had already been out for six months, and was no longer much of a draw."

https://vhscollector.com/movie/bugsy-malone-0

So it really does fit the basis of the 'Two for One' theme.
If I correctly heard Paul Thomas Anderson, cmovieviewer: the Americana 5 theater(s) in Panorama City, March of 1977.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Anyone catch the Jennifer Jones/Joseph Cotton double feature on Sun. night? Neither of those films are shown on TCM very much. I tuned in during the middle of Portrait of Jennie (not realizing it was on). I love Love Letters, but it ran too late, so I recorded it to watch this wknd. I love the score and song. (Victor Young).

I wonder what happened to the Jennie painting. It hung in Jennifer's bedroom for many years and she gave it as a gift to her make up man, George Masters, in her later years. I don't know what happened to it after he died. I assume his partner inherited it. Oddly, Jennifer said she never really cared for it.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 11:46 am Anyone catch the Jennifer Jones/Joseph Cotton double feature on Sun. night? Neither of those films are shown on TCM very much. I tuned in during the middle of Portrait of Jennie (not realizing it was on). I love Love Letters, but it ran too late, so I recorded it to watch this wknd. I love the score and song. (Victor Young).

I wonder what happened to the Jennie painting. It hung in Jennifer's bedroom for many years and she gave it as a gift to her make up man, George Masters, in her later years. I don't know what happened to it after he died. I assume his partner inherited it. Oddly, Jennifer said she never really cared for it.
There's a Reddit thread that claims it's held at the University of Texas Ransom Center as part of the Selznick archives there. But a perusal of their online catalog doesn't seem to list it. Selznick loved the portrait.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I tend not to believe that as Jennifer gave it away.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 11:46 am Anyone catch the Jennifer Jones/Joseph Cotton double feature on Sun. night? Neither of those films are shown on TCM very much. I tuned in during the middle of Portrait of Jennie (not realizing it was on). I love Love Letters, but it ran too late, so I recorded it to watch this wknd. I love the score and song. (Victor Young).

PORTRAIT OF JENNIE and LOVE LETTERS are both favorites of mine.

I have a DVD of PORTRAIT OF JENNIE. I first saw this one when I was in elementary school. I have loved it ever since then.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I am especially a fan of LOVE LETTERS. My favorite of Jennifer Jones' dramatic performances. Singleton is a fascinating character.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 5:17 pm I am especially a fan of LOVE LETTERS. My favorite of Jennifer Jones' dramatic performances. Singleton is a fascinating character.
YES. I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Haven't seen it in years.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I actually took a nap in the afternoon so that I'd be awake for Love Letters. It's shown so rarely. I love this film, always have. Portrait of Jennie is also a favorite, loved it since I was a little girl, it use to shown on tv in NY when I was kid. I Love Robert Nathan novels ( Portrait of Jennie and The Bishop's Wife ) films based on his books do not disappoint.