Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Feinberg

Re: Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Post by Feinberg »

Stevomachino wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 12:05 pm
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 2:24 pm The Most Popular American Movie From Each Year (According to Letterboxd) That I Haven't Seen
CinemaInternational wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 12:54 am Lawrence, saw that list of most popular films by year on Letterboxd, that you have not seen.
Others on your list that I enjoy include:
The Disney live-action romp The Incredible Journey (1963). It's a fun little adventure of two dogs and a cat trying to make it home to their family, and features some nice scenic location shots highlighting the beauty of the Pacific Northwest and Canada.
I believe that The Incredible Journey, like Big Red was shot in Quebec and featured the Quebecois actor, Emile Genest.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

dianedebuda wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 9:45 am Another film I've never seen: Mildred Piece (1945). Have read that Joan Crawford is very good in it, but haven't seen anything of hers except Grand Hotel (1932) that I've liked.
Well, Mildred Pierce is on TCM tonight. 10 PM East/7 PM West.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

dianedebuda wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 9:45 am Another film I've never seen: Mildred Piece (1945). Have read that Joan Crawford is very good in it, but haven't seen anything of hers except Grand Hotel (1932) that I've liked.
It's funny how some stars just leave us cold, despite their fame and longevity. I feel the same about Crawford, even to the point where her presence in a movie leads me to actively avoid it. And I can't really articulate why.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Lomm wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 2:45 pm
It's funny how some stars just leave us cold, despite their fame and longevity. I feel the same about Crawford, even to the point where her presence in a movie leads me to actively avoid it. And I can't really articulate why.
I was the same way. Then in January 2014, she was Star of the Month. She won me over. Her later movies are best for me. I admire her for complete commitment to character. She it totally involved with what she is doing on screen. I don't meant to compare her favorably over Bette, but the latter seems (to me) to be acutely aware (not always of course) of herself on screen. It is commensurate with Bette to be like that for she is the Drama Queen. Joan in not a drama queen. I am amazed that Joan who had to be quite full of herself (as most actors are) and loved being loved by fans as evidenced by her avid attention to her fan mail could yet not betray a smidgen of that once she in a movie. I admire her infinitely for that. Bette was equally good in what she does best, and Joan as well. Not everyone of course will agree with this. I love them both.. To split hairs with two so great as they are is a forlorn activity. The only outcome for this exercise is a flat, dead-on draw.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Lomm wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 2:45 pm It's funny how some stars just leave us cold, despite their fame and longevity. I feel the same about Crawford, even to the point where her presence in a movie leads me to actively avoid it. And I can't really articulate why.
I'm in the same boat with regards to Marlon Brando. Which probably accounts for why I've yet to get around to The Godfather (1972) as indicated earlier.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

jimimac71 wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 12:52 pmWell, Mildred Pierce is on TCM tonight. 10 PM East/7 PM West.
Saw that on the schedule and that's what prompted my post.

Oh I do remember a fun Joan Crawford cameo moment in It's A Great Feeling (1949):
Jack Carson: [after being slapped] What was that for?
Joan Crawford: Oh, I do that in all my pictures.
LiamCasey wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 4:31 pmI'm in the same boat with regards to Marlon Brando. Which probably accounts for why I've yet to get around to The Godfather (1972) as indicated earlier.
Feel the same about Brando. Liked him in On the Waterfront (1954) and that's it. But it was the gangster genre that kept me away until last year from The Godfather rather than Brando.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Mildred Pierce is a hoot, one of the funniest comedies of the 1940s.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

kingrat wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 6:56 pm Lawrence, what did you think of Husbands? I was so hoping that it would have a happy ending, i.e., that all three husbands would be run over by a bright red British double-decker bus.
Ha! I totally agree. The appeal of Cassavetes' films continues to escape me.
Watching until the end.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:05 pm
This was another film that I might have added to my unseen list. I did catch the opening minutes of The Goonies on TV within the last three years, and found those opening sequences to be numbingly arch in the sheer amount of incessant noise. I might be of an age where I could have grown up with it, but it was just too shrill for me. But I do realize that the film is born aloft on a high level of Gen X/Millennial nostalgia to this day, and you can even see it apply to this year's Oscar race where former Goonie Ke Huy Quan is the odds on favorite to win Supporting Actor this year (albeit in a subpar picture that is weirdly adored) even though its only his first acting performance in over 20 years.

I think that Astoria, Oregon had another brush of 90s nostalgia when they filmed Kindergarten Cop there, which I will admit is a guilty pleasure of sorts of mine.

But I quoted you directly because I feel like you hit on something with generations that came of age in the 80s and beyond, that, maybe in part due to constant replays on videotapes (I can claim to be guilty in some of these cases), many kids films of the period are put on some sort of a golden popularity pedestal (some of which, like Beauty and the Beast, are good films, while others are decidedly not) where they remain the most talked about titles of their era, while some choice titles aimed at adults crying out for more attention slip farther and farther into neglect and oblivion. (It seems from Lawrence's list of most "popular" titles by year on Letterboxd left unseen that that website is awash with lots of 90s kids)
I agree with you here. Another film that my generation seems to have inexplicable nostalgia for is "Hocus Pocus." I have no idea why. I saw it exactly once, when it came out in 1993 when I was 9 and that was enough. Never once have I felt compelled to re-visit it. Just last year, I had to explain to someone only a year younger than me that "I Put a Spell On You" was not in fact, an original song from "Hocus Pocus." For the record, I prefer the Screamin' Jay Hawkins original, or the CCR cover.

My nostalgia is for things that I actually watched and enjoyed, such as "Batman: The Animated Series," and "Animaniacs." I also have nostalgia for 1985's "Summer Rental" because it is a classic film in my family. We have probably seen it over 100 times (no exaggeration). It's a tradition in my family and we never even owned an official copy. Our copy was a VCR recording off TV. Lol. We have since upgraded to a DVD.

Nowadays, there is inexplicable nostalgia for things that are touted as nostalgic via social media. Having nostalgia for a particular film or television show is a bandwagon fandom that social media devotees can jump on. "Hocus Pocus," "Nightmare Before Christmas," "The Goonies," "Matlida," "The Sandlot," "Casper," "Blank Check," etc. all fall under this category. I'm not saying that someone can't genuinely be nostalgic for a certain film, but when social media makes it seem like it's almost a law that you have to like [such and such] film because you were born at a certain time, I find it absurd. However, I'm definitely an outlier, since most of my childhood television and movie viewing consisted of Nick at Nite and movies and shows that were targeted to adults and not middle school kids. Lol. My nostalgia is rooted in family tradition (e.g. the aforementioned "Summer Rental") or specific memories that the film conjures up (e.g. seeing "Psycho" and "The Birds" for the first time because my dad rented them when my mom was out of town. She thought the films would be too scary for myself and my sister). And that's not to say that "Hocus Pocus" doesn't do these things for people, but I find the nostalgia for it (and other films) very suspect and disingenuous. Though I'm not one to jump on the social media bandwagon, so that's probably why.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Dargo wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:23 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:05 pm
speedracer5 wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 5:53 pm

My generation (I was born in 1984) seems to have this nostalgia for "The Goonies" and I find it to be very meh. It's fine, but it's hardly the best film I've ever seen, nor is it a film that I need to see again and again. The only thing that keeps me from ignoring it completely is that it was filmed in my home state of Oregon--in Astoria, Oregon to be exact. Visitors to Astoria can see "The Goonies House." Though it can only be seen from the outside as it is a private residence.
But I quoted you directly because I feel like you hit on something with generations that came of age in the 80s and beyond, that, maybe in part due to constant replays on videotapes (I can claim to be guilty in some of these cases), many kids films of the period are put on some sort of a golden popularity pedestal (some of which, like Beauty and the Beast, are good films, while others are decidedly not) where they remain the most talked about titles of their era, while some choice titles aimed at adults crying out for more attention slip farther and farther into neglect and oblivion. (It seems from Lawrence's list of most "popular" titles by year on Letterboxd left unseen that that website is awash with lots of 90s kids)
In this same vein, I'll now suggest the movie E.T. definitely falls into this category. This film premiered in 1982 and when I was 30 years old. I remember thinking that the movie was "cute" as I walked out of the first-run theater I watched it in, but nothing more than that. However, it seems to this day to have had a very strong following among those who are a generation younger than myself and who were in their pre-teen to teenaged years at the time.

(...and I don't believe I've ever watched it again after that first time)
ET came out two years before I was born. I've never been a fan of this film. I've seen it. It's fine. But it's not something that I want to watch again and again. I found it much too saccharine and precious, and not in a good way. I would only make a point to watch it again if I were seeing Steven Spielberg and Drew Barrymore in person, or if someone paid me (which I don't know why someone would do that). If I'm going to watch a Steven Spielberg film, I'd rather watch "Jaws" or "Jurassic Park."
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

TikiSoo wrote: March 1st, 2023, 9:21 am
skimpole wrote: March 1st, 2023, 3:19 am I've never seen Home Alone.

A Touch of Class
Hello Dolly!
I also have never seen HOME ALONE.
Aren't some movies best watched at a certain age? FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF was like that for me - not so amusing watching as a 50 year old teacher.

The last two you mentioned were recent first viewings for me. I loved Class and was blown away by Barbra Streisand's command in Dolly.
There was no doubt she was to become a legend.
"Home Alone" is another one of those films that's fine. It has its moments, but it's hardly a film that I make a point to watch again and again. I think it's Christmas setting is what keeps it around, plus the image of Macaulay Culkin screaming with his hands on both sides of his face (after shaving and applying aftershave) is an iconic movie moment from the 1990s. Catharine O'Hara as Culkin's mother is excellent and one of the best parts of the film. However, I find the premise of the film hard to swallow. Even if you were traveling with 18 people (or however many it was), at some point between the car ride over to the airport, the airport wait, and sitting on the plane, that someone would notice that Culkin's character was missing. "Home Alone" takes place at Christmas, has some memorable scenes, and has a heartwarming ending. I think that's why it continually makes people's lists of must-see Christmas films.

"Ferris Bueller" also has its moments; but like John Hughes' "The Breakfast Club," it doesn't do anything for me. I like scenes in the film; but I find it weird that a principal would not only be so obsessed with his student's attendance (just discipline and let him fail), but that he would spend the entire school day looking for him, to the point that he's breaking into the student's home. In my opinion, Hughes' best film is "Planes, Trains and Automobiles."

I would agree that some films are probably best experienced if you're part of the demographic, or even the generation that the film is geared toward. I'm sure that certain themes, e.g. Vietnam, just hit harder if you came of age during the actual time when the event was contemporary, and not someone like me who was growing up during Desert Storm, the fall of the USSR, the OJ Simpson Trial (and remembers watching his infamous white Bronco chase on live television), Y2K, and most notably 9/11, which happened during the second week of my senior year of high school.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 1:26 am I have never seen Gone With The Wind in its entirety.

I may be the only classic movie fan who hasn't.
I haven't seen Gone with the Wind in its entirety either, though I feel like I have because I know all the famous lines and scenes.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

dianedebuda wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 5:30 pm
jimimac71 wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 12:52 pmWell, Mildred Pierce is on TCM tonight. 10 PM East/7 PM West.
Saw that on the schedule and that's what prompted my post.

Oh I do remember a fun Joan Crawford cameo moment in It's A Great Feeling (1949):
Jack Carson: [after being slapped] What was that for?
Joan Crawford: Oh, I do that in all my pictures.

LiamCasey wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 4:31 pmI'm in the same boat with regards to Marlon Brando. Which probably accounts for why I've yet to get around to The Godfather (1972) as indicated earlier.
Feel the same about Brando. Liked him in On the Waterfront (1954) and that's it. But it was the gangster genre that kept me away until last year from The Godfather rather than Brando.
Yes, It's A Great Feeling is wonderful. I love Doris Day and enjoy Jack Carson too.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 2:24 pm The Most Popular American Movie From Each Year (According to Letterboxd) That I Haven't Seen

1920 - The Mark of Zorro
1921 - The Sheik
1922 - Robin Hood
1923 - The Pilgrim
1924 - Girl Shy
1925 - Lady Windermere's Fan
1926 - Battling Butler
1927 - The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg
1928 - Show People
1929 - Lucky Star

1930 - Free and Easy
1931 - The Cheat
1932 - Jewel Robbery
1933 - Pilgrimage
1934 - The Count of Monte Cristo
1935 - The Good Fairy
1936 - Craig's Wife
1937 - Heidi
1938 - Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
1939 - The Flying Deuces

1940 - Arise My Love
1941 - Two-Faced Woman
1942 - The Moon and Sixpence
1943 - Girl Crazy
1944 - The Suspect
1945 - The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry
1946 - Make Mine Music!
1947 - Dreams That Money Can Buy
1948 - The Big Clock
1949 - Shockproof

1950 - Treasure Island
1951 - The Tall Target
1952 - Wait Till the Sun Shines, Nellie
1953 - I Love Melvin
1954 - Naked Alibi
1955 - Wichita
1956 - Great Day in the Morning
1957 - The River's Edge
1958 - Terror in a Texas Town
1959 - No Name on a Bullet

1960 - The 3 Worlds of Gulliver
1961 - Too Late Blues
1962 - Gay Purr-ee
1963 - The Incredible Journey
1964 - Nothing But a Man
1965 - Who Killed Teddy Bear?
1966 - The Endless Summer
1967 - How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
1968 - Blackbeard's Ghost
1969 - Model Shop

1970 - Husbands
1971 - A New Leaf
1972 - What's Up Doc?
1973 - Jesus Christ Superstar
1974 - The Front Page
1975 - Cooley High
1976 - Mikey and Nicky
1977 - The Serpent's Egg
1978 - The Silent Partner
1979 - Hair

1980 - Times Square
1981 - My Dinner With Andre
1982 - Losing Ground
1983 - Born in Flames
1984 - Love Streams
1985 - Desert Hearts
1986 - Mala Noche
1987 - Can't Buy Me Love
1988 - Crossing Delancey
1989 - All Dogs Go to Heaven

1990 - Metropolitan
1991 - My Girl
1992 - The Muppet Christmas Carol
1993 - The Sandlot
1994 - Richie Rich
1995 - A Little Princess
1996 - Matilda
1997 - Anastasia
1998 - The Parent Trap
1999 - The Thomas Crown Affair

2000 - High Fidelity
2001 - Legally Blonde
2002 - Scooby-Doo
2003 - Freaky Friday
2004 - 13 Going on 30
2005 - The Pacifier
2006 - She's the Man
2007 - Alvin & the Chipmunks
2008 - The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
2009 - 17 Again

2010 - Despicable Me
2011 - Friends With Benefits
2012 - Wreck-It Ralph
2013 - Frozen
2014 - The Book of Life
2015 - Minions
2016 - Moana
2017 - Paddington 2
2018 - Love, Simon
2019 - Toy Story 4

2020 - Sonic the Hedgehog
2021 - Malcolm & Marie
2022 - Avatar: The Way of Water
1920s- I haven't seen any of the 1920s films in the list either, though I want to see "Girl Shy." I know that it has Harold Lloyd who I like.

1930s- "Jewel Robbery" is a fun pre-code with William Powell and Kay Francis. There's a funny scene where Powell's character hands out what are very obviously marijuana joints so that he can carry out his heist unhindered. I did a blind buy of the 1935 "The Good Fairy" during the most recent Kino sale and am looking forward to it.

1940s- I do enjoy "Girl Crazy" even though I'm not a fan of Mickey Rooney. It is my favorite of his and Judy Garland's pairings. I also got "The Suspect" as a blind buy during a Kino sale, because I'm a big fan of Ella Raines and film noir. "The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry" is good if you turn it off ~7 minutes or so from the end before the completely absurd and frankly, idiotic, ending. The ending is so dumb that it really does a disservice to the entire 75 minutes that precedes it.

1950s- "The Tall Target" I know is a Dick Powell film. I started watching it, but I need to finish it. "I Love Melvin" is a silly musical with Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor. Donald does a dance on roller skates. Debbie has a football-themed musical number where she's literally the football. This is not a great movie by any means, but it's charming and I enjoy it. "Naked Alibi" is not the best film noir that I've seen but it features Sterling Hayden and Gloria Grahame who looks sensational in this film. I enjoyed watching it though.

1960s- I haven't seen any of these either.

1970s- "What's Up Doc" is hilarious. It is Peter Bogdanovich's ode to screwball comedy. At the start of the movie, the film feels like a remake of "Bringing Up Baby," but it is definitely its own film by the end. This is Madeline Kahn's film debut and she is hysterical as Eunice, the prissy, uptight and ignored wife of Ryan O'Neal.

1980s- "All Dogs Go to Heaven" is a film I remember watching when I was little. It came out when I was 5. I don't have any nostalgia for it per se, but it was absolutely heartbreaking. I don't know why filmmakers needed to make the saddest children's movies in the 1980s (see "Land Before Time") but they did. 'Heaven' is so depressing that I can't watch it again. It emotionally scarred me for life. What makes this film even sadder is that the 10-year old child actress, Judith Barsi, who voiced the lead character (and voiced a character in "Land Before Time") was murdered by her father shortly after she completed production on 'Heaven.'

1990s- "My Girl." Add another film to the list of the saddest children's films of all time. While it is not a cartoon and not geared toward children per se, the two lead characters were played by child actors Anna Chlumsky (starred in "Veep" as an adult) and Macaulay Culkin. They are tragic and their friendship is a tearjerker. Mind you, this is coming from someone who does not shed a tear at traditional tearjerkers. Even a stone could get choked up watching Chlumsky's big scene in the film. Dan Aykyrod plays Chlumsky's father and Jamie Lee Curtis plays his new girlfriend who has an uphill battle trying to endear herself to Chlumsky's character. "The Muppet Christmas Carol," the definitive telling of Charles Dickens' novel, imo. "The Sandlot" is a children's film that has an inexplicable nostalgia for it that I don't understand. "Richie Rich" is another film that Macaulay Culkin made during his huge career as a child actor in the 1990s. "Matlida" is another 90s film that has nosalgia that I don't understand. I saw this film in middle school and it is a depressing story. The 1990s remake of "The Parent Trap" is what put Lindsay Lohan on the map. However, this film isn't even in the same league as the original. Sadly, some people aren't aware that the Hayley Mills version exists and think that "The Parent Trap" starts and ends with Lohan. "The Thomas Crown Affair," frankly, I think the remake is more interesting than the original as it is faster paced. However, what I like about the original starring Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway is that the sex is implied. It is NOT implied whatsoever in the remake with Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo. Frankly, I could do without the amount of sex these two people have in this film.

2000s- "High Fidelity" is an interesting film with John Cusack and Jack Black. This film appeals to music nerds (and probably movie nerds) who like to make lists constantly. Throughout the film Cusack and Black make playlists "Top 5 breakup songs," "Top Albums," etc. etc. I hadn't realized that this film had developed such a following. I saw it in high school when it came out. "Scooby Doo," why there is nostalgia for this film, I have no idea. Though it does feature 90s teen stars like Sarah Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prinze Jr, Linda Cardellini, and Matthew Lillard, so that is probably why. I saw this movie also in high school (or maybe just after, it came out the year I graduated) and I thought it was terrible. "Freaky Friday" is another Lindsay Lohan Disney remake. In this film, she swaps bodies with Jamie Lee Curtis. I preferred the original with Jodie Foster. "13 Going on 30" has nostalgia for my generation as well and I have no idea why. This film wasn't that great. The best part was when they did the entirety of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" dance. "She's the Man" starred 90s teen star Amanda Bynes, who made it big on Nickelodeon's "The Amanda Show." This film is based on a Shakespeare play. However, I don't remember it being all that great. "Alvin & the Chipmunks," I didn't know that this film had this big a following. Only the 1980s cartoon version exists in my world.

2010s- "Wreck-it Ralph," this is an entertaining animated film if you're interested in video games. The entire film's premise is based on video game characters interacting. They socialize via the power strip where all the games are plugged in. Wreck-it-Ralph is a villain of the "Fix-It-Felix" game and is part of a villains support group. Bowser from Super Mario, Dr Eggman from Sonic, Clyde one of the ghosts from Pac-Man, and some Street Fighter villains are shown as part of the support group. There are tons of other video game references, including poor Q-Bert who is homeless because his game broke down. My husband and I saw it in the theater and found it amusing. My husband is a big gamer so he enjoyed seeing and identifying all the cameos of various video game characters. "Frozen," this is a good movie, but I am so sick of it, I don't think I ever want to see it again. "Minions," I've never even seen the movie they came from, or their spin-off film and I'm so sick of them. "Moana" was a great film, but it's hardly ever mentioned. I liked it though.

2020s- I haven't seen any of these.