April 2023 Schedule Posted, WB 100th Anniversary

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LawrenceA

Re: April 2023 Schedule Posted, WB 100th Anniversary

Post by LawrenceA »

skimpole wrote: March 16th, 2023, 2:13 am Rather than having a WB tribute, one idea for a month long tribute would be to look at last year's Sight and Sound poll winners. There are some movies TCM should show even if it would take a whole evening to show (Shoah, Satantango, West of the Tracks). There are movies that TCM hasn't shown for a long time (The Godfather, Mirror, Killer of Sheep, Ordet). There are recent movies which TCM might as well show now (Portait of a Lady on Fire, Moonlight, Parasite, Under the Skin, Zama). And there are other movies which I don't think TCM has ever shown (Mulholland Dr., The Gleaners and I, The Shining, La Maman et la Putain, Goodbye Dragon Inn, The Colour of Pomegranates, The Cloud-Capped Star, Love Streams, Magnolia, Melancholia, Army of Shadows, Distant Voices, Still Lives).
I think the average TCM viewer would detest the majority of those movies.
Last edited by LawrenceA on March 16th, 2023, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watching until the end.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

skimpole wrote: March 16th, 2023, 2:13 am Rather than having a WB tribute, one idea for a month long tribute would be to look at last year's Sight and Sound poll winners. There are some movies TCM should show even if it would take a whole evening to show (Shoah, Satantango, West of the Tracks). There are movies that TCM hasn't shown for a long time (The Godfather, Mirror, Killer of Sheep, Ordet). There are recent movies which TCM might as well show now (Portait of a Lady on Fire, Moonlight, Parasite, Under the Skin, Zama). And there are other movies which I don't think TCM has ever shown (Mulholland Dr., The Gleaners and I, The Shining, La Maman et la Putain, Goodbye Dragon Inn, The Colour of Pomegranates, The Cloud-Capped Star, Love Streams, Magnolia, Melancholia, Army of Shadows, Distant Voices, Still Lives).
This WB tribute is a great marketing tool for the Warner Media company which owns Warner Bros, TCM and host of other businesses.

The WB 100th Anniversary is a big deal for Warner Media.

How MGM 100th Anniversary will be April 2024. But I'm having trouble finding out who owns the rights to MGM studio-era films. There has been so many merges, takeovers, and buyouts with the latest one by Amazon. If Warner Media doesn't have a stake in the game with MGM studio-era films that might impact any MGM tribute by TCM.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 16th, 2023, 1:46 pm
This WB tribute is a great marketing tool for the Warner Media company which owns Warner Bros, TCM and host of other businesses.

How MGM 100th Anniversary will be April 2024. But I'm having trouble finding out who owns the rights to MGM studio-era films. There has been so many merges, takeovers, and buyouts with the latest one by Amazon. If Warner Media doesn't have a stake in the game with MGM studio-era films that might impact any MGM tribute by TCM.
I don't think there's been any change in who owns the pre-1986 MGM catalog since Ted Turner purchased and sold MGM back in the mid 1980s, has there? I believe Amazon has the rights to MGM stuff after that, through Amazon MGM Holdings. Multiple sources confirm that WB Discovery is the holder of the studio-era MGM titles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... wyn-Mayer
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk ... 145f94479
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:21 pm
I think the average TCM viewer would detest the majority of those movies.
If the old forums were anything to go by the average TCM viewer detests everything that the channel shows.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

txfilmfan wrote: March 16th, 2023, 2:07 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 16th, 2023, 1:46 pm

I don't think there's been any change in who owns the pre-1986 MGM catalog since Ted Turner purchased and sold MGM back in the mid 1980s, has there? I believe Amazon has the rights to MGM stuff after that, through Amazon MGM Holdings. Multiple sources confirm that WB Discovery is the holder of the studio-era MGM titles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... wyn-Mayer
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk ... 145f94479
Thanks for this info. Based on this TCM will likely have a 100-year anniversary tribute for MGM in the month of April 2024.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 18th, 2023, 3:25 pm Thanks for this info. Based on this TCM will likely have a 100-year anniversary tribute for MGM in the month of April 2024.
I hope so! At least you know it would be done better than anything Amazon could come up with.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Yes, WB holds all of the pre-May 1986 MGM titles, plus 1994's That's Entertainment III, so they will likely do a fine MGM tribute next year.

The only titles next year that I could see them asking for on loan from modern MGM (post May 1986) in order to show are Moonstruck, A Fish Called Wanda, A Dry White Season, Thelma and Louise, Six Degrees of Separation and maybe Overboard, Stanley and Iris, The Russia House, Of Mice and Men, and The man in the Moon.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Count me surprised that they are showing Argo. I know it won best picture, but I thought it might be a little too recent for the channel. Strange too that there is no sign of Driving Miss Daisy, the only WB best Picture winner to be AWOL in April.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Tuesday, April 18
- GERALDINE PAGE
Watch on the Rhine (1943)
Nobody Lives Forever (1946) (6:15 am ET)

Geraldine Page wasn't in either of those movies nor was she a Warner Brothers contract player.
She was only 19 years old in 1943.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Some additional news on the April schedule. This also confirms some rumored future Blu-ray releases of Land of the Pharaohs and Helen of Troy.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/warner-bro ... 235307202/
Additionally throughout April, TCM will premiere the restorations and remasters of 10 iconic Warner Bros. films with introductions from some major filmmakers and film experts as part of the network’s multi-year partnership with The Film Foundation, which is committed to funding education and restoration of classic films. Those particular titles being shown on TCM are as follows with several of these films also available for streaming in the Classics Curated by TCM hub on sister streamer HBO Max:

• East of Eden (1955) – a 4k restoration introduced by filmmakers Wes Anderson and Joanna Hogg
• Rio Bravo (1959) – a 4k restoration introduced by filmmaker Martin Scorsese (and as previously reported on Deadline getting its World Premiere on Opening Night of the TCM Classic Film Festival April 13)
• Land Of The Pharaohs (1955) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by Martin Scorsese
• A Lion Is In The Streets (1953) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by Daphne Dentz and Robyn
Sklaren from the Warner Bros. Discovery Library
• Rachel, Rachel (1968) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by filmmaker and actor Ethan Hawke
• Safe In Hell (1931) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by filmmaker Alexander Payne
• Storm Warning (1951) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by Martin Scorsese
• The Strawberry Blonde (1941) – a Blu-ray HD remaster introduced by Wes Anderson
• Helen Of Troy (1956) – a Blu-ray HD remaster
• One Way Passage (1932) – a Blu-ray HD remaster
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:18 pm Tuesday, April 18
- GERALDINE PAGE
Watch on the Rhine (1943)
Nobody Lives Forever (1946) (6:15 am ET)

Geraldine Page wasn't in either of those movies nor was she a Warner Brothers contract player.
She was only 19 years old in 1943.
The entry should be for Geraldine Fitzgerald who was a WB contract player and is in both of those films and the next 2 movies on the schedule: The Mask of Dimitrios and Three Strangers.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

EP Millstone wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:11 am
cmovieviewer wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:16 am TCM has posted a partial schedule for April, 2023 . . .
Again, thank you, cmovieviewer, for your dedication to sharing Turner Classic Movies schedules.

I, for one, welcome the salute to Warner Bros. and break from the, for me, tiresome and uninteresting menu of MGM movies.

Regarding the April 10 daytime programming Shot at Teddington, Warner's British Studios, I'm delighted to see the Hammer Films offerings . . . which were NOT shot at Teddington. By 1956, when The Curse of Frankenstein started production, Teddington Studios had been closed by Warner Bros for four years and was on the cusp of being converted into a television studio.

History Focus -- Teddington TV Studios
Thought I should mention that it looks like your comment has been reflected in the schedule - TCM has inserted another theme on April 10.

Starting with The Curse of Frankenstein, the afternoon films are listed as 'Produced by Hammer, Distributed by Warner'.

Thanks for pointing out the difference.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

cmovieviewer wrote: March 27th, 2023, 5:52 pm Thought I should mention that it looks like your comment has been reflected in the schedule - TCM has inserted another theme on April 10.

Starting with The Curse of Frankenstein, the afternoon films are listed as 'Produced by Hammer, Distributed by Warner'.

You're welcome!

Are you involved with the creation and management of the TCM schedules, cmovieviewer? That is, did you contact TCM about correcting the April 10 daytime theme? If yes, thank you! If no, then I wonder if someone at TCM is monitoring the SSO. More likely, someone at TCM is a Hammer Film fan and was responsible for correcting the error.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

EP Millstone wrote: March 27th, 2023, 6:37 pm
cmovieviewer wrote: March 27th, 2023, 5:52 pm Thought I should mention that it looks like your comment has been reflected in the schedule - TCM has inserted another theme on April 10.

You're welcome!

Are you involved with the creation and management of the TCM schedules, cmovieviewer? That is, did you contact TCM about correcting the April 10 daytime theme? If yes, thank you! If no, then I wonder if someone at TCM is monitoring the SSO. More likely, someone at TCM is a Hammer Film fan and was responsible for correcting the error.
I am not affiliated with TCM, so I can’t take any credit.

To be fair, the themes for April 10th that I originally published used the information that TCM included for the first 12 days in April at the end of the March edition of TCM’s Now Playing Guide.

When TCM later published the complete schedule for the April tribute to the WB 100th anniversary, there were 2 daytime themes listed for April 10 instead of just one. So the TCM schedulers could have intended it to be that way all along, but it was just not fully represented in the preliminary version in the Now Playing Guide.

The schedule information that TCM has prepared for the WB Anniversary is very detailed. It’s a shame we don’t get that level of detail every month.

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads ... /WB100.pdf
Last edited by cmovieviewer on March 28th, 2023, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.