R.I.P.

Discussion of programming on TCM.
benwhowell

Piece a-cake...

Post by benwhowell »

Hi, John
It's really easy to "embed" a YouTube video with the "function" Jon added.
On the "Post a reply" page across from "Message body" you'll see the various "function" buttons...YouTube is the last one. Just click it before you paste your link and then click it again after the link.
Does that make sense?
Love your avatar too...and the photo in your previous post. They look great together! I also wish TCM would show the movie.
Handsome Johnny Eck
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Oh my oh my oh my..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
what a way to start my day. I've spilled coffee everywhere, but who cares???? I'm so glad you didn't use the second photo for your avatar. I'd never get any work done at all.

Thanks for the details, I have seen the movie listed, but always passed on the opportunity to view. Never again!!!

now where are the paper towels???? :lol:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

You know, I have been looking for months for a copy of THE TAMARIND SEED - in fact, I believe Miss G and I were chatting about that film way back in the old days on the TCM board.

In any event, I can't seem to find a copy of this film, which is tres annoying - especially since I am of the firm opinion that any film can be improved by the inclusion of Omar Sharif. :P

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO is by far the most watched film of my lifetime - I've probably watched it about 50 times. But I simply LOVE that man.

I've seen several of his other films...but I have heard THE TAMARIND SEED is really great, and am very keen to see if it might end up being another favorite of mine.

Anyone know where I can find a copy of this film? Is it on PAL or something? Anything? :cry:
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

By the way, everyone, have you read Michael Toole's tribute to Alice Ghostley on the TCM site? He reports that:

"She was born on August 14, 1926, in Eve, Missouri, and in Henryetta, Oklahoma. "

Hmmmmm....... and on the same day, too.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

jdb1 wrote:By the way, everyone, have you read Michael Toole's tribute to Alice Ghostley on the TCM site? He reports that:

"She was born on August 14, 1926, in Eve, Missouri, and in Henryetta, Oklahoma. "

Hmmmmm....... and on the same day, too.
I've been to Henryetta, and had I been born there I'd probably be claiming to be from Missouri too. The town has a statue called The Spirit of the American Doughboy that was placed there in the 1920s. Copies were placed in over half the states, but Henryetta may be the only town to use the doughboy's upraised arm for hanging uppity negroes. Until just a few years ago, it was a real life version of Footloose, where dancing was against the law.

It's a nasty little place.
Last edited by SSO Admins on September 27th, 2007, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Marcia Mae Jones

Post by knitwit45 »

While doing some research, I found the following:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428736/bio

Miss Jones died September 2 of this year. She was the pretty little invalid, Klara Seseman, in one of my favorite movies, "Heidi". Sounds like she was a strong survivor of a lot of personal tragedies and unhappiness.

Rest In Peace, Marcia Mae.
Last edited by knitwit45 on September 27th, 2007, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Marcia Mae Jones

Post by moira finnie »

Re: Marcia Mae Jones (1924-2007)
While doing some research, I found the following:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428736/bio

Miss Jones died September 2 of this year. She was the pretty little invalid, Klara Seiseman, in one of my favorite movies, "Heidi". Sounds like she was a strong survivor of a lot of personal tragedies and unhappiness.

Rest In Peace, Marcia Mae.~ Knitwit45
Nancy,
I just caught up with this sad news this week. Ms. Jones could break your heart with one of her sad smiles. Marcia Mae's "Rosalie" character seems to have been overshadowed by Bonita Granville's startling junior villain in These Three (1936), but the terror on Marcia Mae's face and her touching eagerness to please have always stayed with me.

According to some sources, years later, director William Wyler met Marcia Mae Jones again and apologized profusely for the sometimes brutalizing on-set experiences that she'd been exposed to as a child, (many of which were caused by Wyler). She gave a haunting performance. I hope that she got over it by the time she died at age 83.

Rest in peace, indeed. Ms. Jones has certainly earned it.

Here's a link to a Classic Images interview with the lady from 1998 that I just came across.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks John, I thought that was a lovely article about Marcia Mae Jones.

Please excuse me if I overlooked this in the discussion about Omar Sharif within this thread, but have you guys seen the French film, Monsieur Ibrahim (2003)?

It was enjoyable to see Omar Sharif in such a thoughtful film, giving a subtle, funny and wise performance as the man who takes a street urchin under his wing and tries to teach him about life. While Mr. Sharif has aged, (and, I suspect, doesn't regret much of his life and some very good times), his performance is noticeable for the remarkable feature that still serves him well in any movie:
those beautiful eyes.
Naturally, given the relative lack of violence and anger in this civilized film, it seems to have fallen through the cracks in the US market. It pops up on HBO occasionally and is on dvd. Did anyone else like Sharif in the very entertaining Hidalgo (2004) with Viggo Mortensen?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Moira, I, too, thank you for the link to Miss Jones' interview. What an interesting lady she was.

I have kept the photo of Mr. Sharif on my computer screen for most of the day :oops: I fell in love with him when we first met in Funny Girl Then we trekked the desert together in Lawrence of Arabia.

I have only watched parts of Hidalgo, something always interrupts me. I enjoyed him in One Night with the King, but was severely disappointed that HE wasn't the king....

excuse me, I have to go look at JohnM's photo again....sigh....
Moraldo Rubini

Seeds and Jones

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

pktrekgirl wrote:In any event, I can't seem to find a copy of this film, which is tres annoying - especially since I am of the firm opinion that any film can be improved by the inclusion of Omar Sharif.
Since I just discovered the free films at Google, I thought I'd check -- just in case. Alas, the entire film isn't there, but I found a couple of clips. Just click on the links:
Clip 1
Clip 2
There are a couple more there too.

Hey you guys, thanks for the note about Marcia Mae Jones. I'd missed that and really enjoyed her performances.
Moraldo Rubini

Miss Moneypenny

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Lois Maxwell, who starred as Miss Moneypenny in 14 James Bond movies passed away Saturday, at age 80. Née Lois Hooker, she was born in Kitchener, Ontario and began her acting career on radio. She won a Golden Globe award for her role in That Hagen Girl (starring Shirley Temple), and was also featured in Lolita, The Haunting, and played Amneris in the movie version of Verdi's Aida (featuring Sophia Loren in the title role).

RIP Miss Maxwell