Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good evening all,

Like JohnM, I'm also a Philly boy, born and raised and so I too, felt a certain kinship to Joey Bishop. I even remember when he did TV ads for local businesses in Philly, most notably Krass Brothers men's store (remember them, John?) That was in the days before he became nationally known I suspect. I remember my folks seeing him perform at Palumbo's restaurant in Cherry Hill, NJ. Having seen my grandmother suffer from Parkinson's disease, I know that Ms Kerr is at last resting peacefully. It had to be a horrible way to live based on my own memories. At the very least, we have her films to remember her by and "The King and I" has to be on everyone's list of best musicals ever filmed. It sometimes amazes me the way we're affected by the passing of those stars we've never known or even met. I guess it speaks to the power of the entertainment industry and the effect it has on so many of us.

As always,

Hollis
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

John, I think lots of posters here would love to have seen you at Palumbo's in The Fantasticks.

SSO Crowd: I loved Deborah Kerr. She was such an iconic lady of film.
Several of my most favorite films are graced with her presence.

And Joey Bishop. He was such fun.

Peace Be With Them.
And now let them realize how much they affected this part of the world.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I loved Kerr as well. My first viewing of her was Black Narcissus (1947) which changed my life forever (no kidding!). It's one of my all time favorite films. Other favorites would include (but are not limited to):

The Life and Death of Col Blimp (1943)
From Here to Eternity (1953)
The Sundowners (1960)
The Innocents (1961)
Night of the Iguana (1964)

She is living on in my avatar. 8)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I was very fond of Joey Bishop, and I remember his TV sitcom; actually, although I don't remember all the details, I do remember enjoying it, as did my parents. I remember Bishop wearing those neato, brightly colored cardigans that were the essence of hip in the 50s and early 60s. I liked his late-night show as well. He was a very laid-back kind of guy.

Let's remember that he also had a minor movie career, usually playing a sort of updated and cooler version of the Everyman played in films by George Tobias in Classic Hollywood.

To my mind, the best thing he ever did was his short scene in "Guide for the Married Man" where, caught by his wife, Ann Morgan Guilbert, in bed with another woman, cooly denies everything ("What girl?"), until she finally gives up with a resigned "What do you want for dinner?" His understated style was perfect for that episode.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Wow! I've been pretty much out of the loop this week because of work...but very sad to hear about Deborah Kerr. I absolutely *loved* her.

What a bummer. :(

HEAVEN KNOWS MR ALLISON, BLACK NARCISSUS, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, and TEA AND SYMPATHY are a few of my favorites.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

TCM is showing "From Here to Eternity" and "Separate Tables" on Sunday in honor of Ms. Kerr. Wish they had chosen "The Sundowners" or "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" or my all time favorite of her movies, "Affair to Remember".
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi John,

Right again, and thanks for refreshing what's left of my memory! Do you recall what the unique feature of Ben Krass's suits was? (Those he wore himself?) It really is a small world, and one more reason I'm so glad to have been asked to join in this forum. By the way, who do you think makes the best cheesesteak in Philly? My vote, unequivocally, goes to Tony Luke's at 3rd and Oregon. All the rest are merely pretenders to the throne.

As always,

Hollis
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

John,

With broccoli robb (sic) and sharp provolone? I'm drooling!

As always,

Hollis

p.s. His suits had no lapels! I don't know why they lacked them, but they were all he ever wore.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This may not be relevant news to our ongoing "study" of the moving image, but the slightly jaundiced humor of the writer, Peg Bracken, who died yesterday at 89, certainly qualifies her as "entertaining", at least in my book. An advertising copywriter, Ms. Bracken began to document her revulsion toward the domestic sciences well before Erma Bombeck. Her witty style reached its apotheosis in the "I Hate to Cook Cookbook", which was first published almost 50 years ago.

The first page of this little tome begins with the statement: “Some women, it is said, like to cook.This book is not for them." Here's a sample of one of her best recipes, called “Skid Road Stroganoff,”:
"Start cooking those noodles, first dropping a bouillon cube into the noodle water. Brown the garlic, onion and crumbled beef in the oil. Add the flour, salt, paprika and mushrooms, stir, and let it cook five minutes while you light a cigarette and stare sullenly at the sink."

This book made my housework-hating Mom very happy. Hope Peg and Grace (Moira's Mama) are sharing a cigarette in heaven this morning. Ironically, an inventor of that easy, quick cookin' Rice-a-Roni, Mr. Vincent DeDomenico, has also met his maker on the same day as Bracken.