August 2023 Schedule Posted, Summer Under the Stars

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

August 2023 Schedule Posted, Summer Under the Stars

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has posted a preliminary schedule for August, 2023. By tradition, the theme is Summer Under the Stars, where a different actor is featured each day throughout the month. Here is an overview of the schedule:

Aug 1 - Lucille Ball
Aug 2 - Anthony Perkins
Aug 3 - Stella Stevens
Aug 4 - Jackie Cooper
Aug 5 - Errol Flynn
Aug 6 - Debbie Reynolds
Aug 7 - Robert Ryan
Aug 8 - Joan Blondell
Aug 9 - The Nicholas Brothers
Aug 10 - Rhonda Fleming
Aug 11 - Alan Ladd
Aug 12 - Deborah Kerr
Aug 13 - Paul Newman
Aug 14 - Greer Garson
Aug 15 - Ronald Colman
Aug 16 - Katy Jurado
Aug 17 - Bob Hope
Aug 18 - Carole Lombard
Aug 19 - Fred Astaire
Aug 20 - Barbara Stanwyck
Aug 21 - James Stewart
Aug 22 - Geraldine Chaplin
Aug 23 - Vincent Price
Aug 24 - Loretta Young
Aug 25 - Ernest Borgnine
Aug 26 - Doris Day
Aug 27 - Humphrey Bogart
Aug 28 - Ann Sheridan
Aug 29 - Woody Strode
Aug 30 - Sophia Loren
Aug 31 - John Carradine

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
speedracer5

Re: August 2023 Schedule Posted, Summer Under the Stars

Post by speedracer5 »

This SUTS is pretty exciting. My two faves: Lucy and Errol are both there. As are some of my requests, like Alan Ladd, Loretta Young, and Joan Blondell. Ladd and Young are two performers whose films I just started watching more of this year.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I didn't look at the schedule yet, just the list of stars.
I don't know everyone, but I'm no movie scholar.
It seems to be a good mix of names I know and don't know.
The Long, Long Trailer shows on July 1st, and August 1st.
TCM could do better.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I saw The Long Long Trailer is on on Lucy's day. I don't watch the movie every time it airs on TCM. I will watch it if it's a convenient time for me to do so. Or I'll have it on as background noise, because I always know what's happening, even if I'm only listening to it. I have the blu ray as well, so I can watch it whenever I want to.

I love Lucy and Errol, but I've seen/own every single film on their days. Those will be days I might catch some films here and there. I'm more excited about Alan Ladd, Loretta Young, and Joan Blondell's days, because there are some films scheduled that I haven't seen.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

There are some stars I don’t recognize.
After looking at the schedule, there are plenty of movies I don’t know or recognize by title.
I know all the Doris Day titles and it’s a nice mix, rather than the usual.
That seems true with other stars as well.
Guess I’m impressed.
As always, thanks to cmovieviewer.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2023, 1:56 pm There are some stars I don’t recognize.
After looking at the schedule, there are plenty of movies I don’t know or recognize by title.
Guess I’m impressed.
The only person I don't know is Woody Strode. I have no idea who that is. Stella Stevens I know from "The Poseidon Adventure." I think that is the only film of hers that I've seen. She just passed away earlier this year, I believe. There are some others like John Carradine and Katy Jurado, I know who they are, but I haven't seen any or many of their films. I've seen Jurado in "Trapeze." Jurado was married to Ernest Borgnine. I like that they're both featured this year.
norfious

Post by norfious »

Wow, this is a pretty good list! It is exciting that TCM is starting to feature people who haven't been included in this special programming in the past. I am looking forward to the Nicholas Brothers films on August 9th.

Not gonna lie, I am disappointed Roy Scheider was not included in the list, but oh well. Maybe next year. :)
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

speedracer5 wrote: June 8th, 2023, 2:01 pm
jimimac71 wrote: June 8th, 2023, 1:56 pm There are some stars I don’t recognize.
Guess I’m impressed.
The only person I don't know is Woody Strode. I have no idea who that is. Stella Stevens I know from "The Poseidon Adventure." I think that is the only film of hers that I've seen. She just passed away earlier this year, I believe. There are some others like John Carradine and Katy Jurado, I know who they are, but I haven't seen any or many of their films. I've seen Jurado in "Trapeze." Jurado was married to Ernest Borgnine. I like that they're both featured this year.
You might recognize him if you saw a photo. He was in a lot of westerns.

According to this source, Woody, from Toy Story, is named for him.

https://books.google.com/books?id=e1RTP ... q&f=false
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

txfilmfan wrote: June 8th, 2023, 2:16 pm
speedracer5 wrote: June 8th, 2023, 2:01 pm
Guess I’m impressed.
You might recognize him if you saw a photo. He was in a lot of westerns.

According to this source, Woody, from Toy Story, is named for him.

https://books.google.com/books?id=e1RTP ... q&f=false
I watch very few Westerns. If I watch a Western, it's because someone I like is in the Western. I saw his photo, it rings no bells for me. I am looking at his filmography. He apparently played "Black Sandhog" in "No Time for Love," which I have seen. But I don't recall any of the specific "Sandhogs" except for Fred MacMurray.
sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

I'm excited for Nicholas Brothers day, Ernest Borgnine day, John Carradine day, and Carole Lombard day.
I'm always happy to see Fred Astaire and Ronald Colman, too. ;)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Three of the ones on my wish list made this year's schedule:
Loretta Young
Doris Day
Greer Garson

A Loretta Young movie I really enjoy is scheduled on her day, but they have the title incorrect.
It should be CAUSE FOR ALARM!, not CAUSE FOR ALARM. The exclamation point is part of the title.

On Ernest Borgnine's day, they're showing two movies I really enjoy: ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and, of course, THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 8th, 2023, 7:55 pm Three of the ones on my wish list made this year's schedule:
Loretta Young
Doris Day
Greer Garson

A Loretta Young movie I really enjoy is scheduled on her day, but they have the title incorrect.
It should be CAUSE FOR ALARM!, not CAUSE FOR ALARM. The exclamation point is part of the title.

On Ernest Borgnine's day, they're showing two movies I really enjoy: ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK and, of course, THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE.
I'm excited about Loretta's day too! She was one of my picks. I'm excited about all the Loretta pre-code, especially "Week-End Marriage" and "The Life of Jimmy Dolan," both of which I haven't seen yet. I'm also interested in "The Unguarded Hour" with Franchot Tone. I'm also interested in "Key to the City" w/ Clark Gable, which I haven't seen yet. For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, I highly recommend these two precode: "Midnight Mary" and "Employees' Entrance" which are airing primetime on Loretta's SUTS day. Too bad they weren't showing "The Accused." That is an interesting film noir I just saw for the first time earlier this year... last year?... recently. Also too bad that they weren't showing the pre-code, "She Had to Say Yes." That is one of most pre-code pre-codes I've ever seen.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

speedracer5 wrote: June 8th, 2023, 9:12 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: June 8th, 2023, 7:55 pm Three of the ones on my wish list made this year's schedule:
Loretta Young
Doris Day
Greer Garson

I'm excited about Loretta's day too! She was one of my picks. I'm excited about all the Loretta pre-code, especially "Week-End Marriage" and "The Life of Jimmy Dolan," both of which I haven't seen yet. I'm also interested in "The Unguarded Hour" with Franchot Tone. I'm also interested in "Key to the City" w/ Clark Gable, which I haven't seen yet. For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, I highly recommend these two precode: "Midnight Mary" and "Employees' Entrance" which are airing primetime on Loretta's SUTS day. Too bad they weren't showing "The Accused." That is an interesting film noir I just saw for the first time earlier this year... last year?... recently. Also too bad that they weren't showing the pre-code, "She Had to Say Yes." That is one of most pre-code pre-codes I've ever seen.
All the Young pre-codes you mention are fine films. Like many young actresses Young's screen persona was more adventurous during the pre-code era.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 9th, 2023, 1:46 pm
speedracer5 wrote: June 8th, 2023, 9:12 pm
Loretta Young
Doris Day
Greer Garson

All the Young pre-codes you mention are fine films. Like many young actresses Young's screen persona was more adventurous during the pre-code era.
I would agree. I very much prefer young, pre-code Loretta over the production code, virtuous, swear jar Loretta. I was surprised to see her get to be a little sexy in the film, "Because of You" with Jeff Chandler. She's still really good though, especially in film noir like the aforementioned "Because of You," "The Accused," and "Cause for Alarm!" I even liked her with Alan Ladd in "China," though apparently she and Ladd did not get along. She's so gorgeous on screen, you really can't take your eyes off her.