Orgies and Cynthia

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

Orgies and Cynthia

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I've basically been on a movie orgy for the past three weeks. Apparently it's exhausted me. For instance, yesterday I attended a matinee revival of Blonde Venus (what a gorgeous print; bright and pristine -- a big screen luxury!), a revival of All About Eve (a terrible print that caused missed lines and suddenly disappearing characters -- a big screen let-down) and then a late show of Bruce Willis' action flick (whatever that was called; part of the Die Hard series). I got home at 1am to find that TCM was playing Cynthia. I've been curious about this movie ever since the clip of Elizabeth Taylor singing to the accompaniment of "Cuddles" Sakall was included in That's Entertainment!. So I gave it a go. I was surprised to discover that the characters in the movie loved her singing (I always assumed it supposed to be a joke... I love Elizabeth Taylor, but her singing voice did sound like air escaping a balloon.)! And then it happened: I fell asleep at 2:50am -- 10 minutes before the end of the movie. Can anyone tell me how it ended?

[I'm taking today off from movies, but will be travelling down the Peninsula to see Yolanda and the Thief tonight!]
benwhowell

Out of synch...

Post by benwhowell »

I woke up disappointed because I programmed my VCR (to tape "The Sandpiper") for 2:58 PM (instead of AM!) I was really looking forward to spending this saturday with Vincente Minnelli, Taylor/Burton, a young Charles Bronson, "beatniks" and Big Sur!
Did Liz really sing in "Cynthia?" What about "A Little Night Music?"
I recently bought a (DVD) copy of Nicolas Roeg's (Brazilian TV movie) adaptation of "Sweet Bird Of Youth" with Liz and Mark Harmon. Valerie Perrine, Seymour Cassel and Rip Torn are also in the cast. Gavin Lambert wrote the "teleplay." I think the cast and crew were having too much fun in Brazil to focus on making a great movie version of the great Tennessee Williams play, but it is an interesting "curiousity."
BTW-speaking of "orgies" and "curiousities..." Dusan Makavejev's "Sweet Movie" was released from the Criterion Collection recently. (I saw it at Border's! the other night.)
Moraldo Rubini

Re: Out of synch...

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

benwhowell wrote:Did Liz really sing in "Cynthia?" What about "A Little Night Music?"
Yup, that was her voice in Cynthia. She was only 15 or so at the time. Remember, it was included in the That's Entertainment! (Part 2?) segment about how MGM made everyone -- even those that oughtn't -- sing. Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Jean Harlow, James Stewart are all shown, along with Elizabeth Taylor's airy warble. A Little Night Music came many years (and cigarettes and booze) later, thus lending some breadth to her voice; but still, I'm not sure she was the best choice for Desiree Armfeldt.

Anyone know how Cynthia ends? It was interesting, I thought, since it was an MGM family movie about a family that wasn't getting along. It seems rare for Mayer to show unhappy married couple with a child...
knitwit45

Cynthia's fate

Post by knitwit45 »

Jack (I still love the Jack Burley handle, he's one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite movies, "San Francisco")

anyway, I watched this a couple of months ago, and as I remember, Mama relented and let her go to the dance/party/whatever it was BEHIND PAPA'S BACK and of course Cynthia got soaking wet. Papa was ready to take her to the hospital, call a doctor, and Cynthia was just fine. So end of story, all was well, Cynthia was on the road to a happy life, and Mama & Papa were in love again.

If that's not exact, it's the gist of the ending. If someone else remembers it better, please correct all my mistakes.

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Moraldo Rubini

Knitty!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Knitty! I was at the movies last night and screamed out your name. But more on that later...

I actually saw Cynthia go to the party, and come home muddy -- but happy. Her father arrived home to discover she'd gone out and he was angry that his wife lied to him and that his daughter betrayed his wishes. He was greatly influenced by his brother, the doctor who wouldn't let Cynthia do anything. I couldn't see how the mother and father could patch this in only 10 minutes... I surprised that L.B. Mayer would approve of their relationship; this was not Andy Hardy's family. I wonder if Dore Schary was behind this one... Thanks for the update!

Now, back to last night's movie. I saw Yolanda and the Thief at the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto. In the dream sequence we see Yolanda (Lucille Bremer) being readied for her wedding. And guess who enters with her bridal crown and then carries her train? Yup, the extra from the "The Trolley Song" in Meet Me in St. Louis![/i]
Last edited by Moraldo Rubini on August 3rd, 2007, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Oh, man, so close...and still no cigar....

I read on the boards that you were headed for a viewing of "Yolanda and the Thief" yesterday, and was wishing you a great time. Sounds like it was wonderful!

I wonder if IMDB might have some info on "Y&TT"?

I periodically check the TCM thread to see if anyone has ever come up with a name for me, still no luck. Maybe now? I even sent Margaret O'Brien a letter, asking for info, but I've never heard from her.

I hope you didn't spill your popcorn! :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard