The first 10 days of stars

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

The first 10 days of stars

Post by mrsl »

Starting off with Elizabeth Taylor was nice, but it would have been nice to see some different movies, and the same goes for William Holden. I'm glad they got Peter O'Toole out of the way, but why they included him is beyond me, I don't bother wasting electricity on him, or Doris Day, and except for Mildred Pierce and a couple of others, Joan Crawford is not in my top 20. I also loved Vincent Price in his early stuff, but when he started with the Edgar Allen Poe parts, I turned off real fast.

Needless to say, the rest of the week has been great with Jimmy Stewart, Myrna Loy, Jane Russell, and of course my Robert Mitchummmm.

I'm sure many of you are in direct opposition to some of my favorites, and dislikes, and I don't have the patience to go thru the month to see who's coming up. I did notice Alan Ladd, but they're playing it cheap by showing movies where he is only supporting, not starring, but oh well, at least he's being recognized.

What are some of you looking forward to?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I agree, that some of the SOS days may be too much of a not particularly good thing. In terms of the bigger stars -- it's just so much old hat to me, as I've seen these films dozens of times.

What's really attractive to me are those days with stars you might not get to see that often: Rosalind Russel, Ann Miller, Buster Keaton, Broderick Crawford, and even one of my childhood faves, Roy Rogers. Yippee Ki-Yi-Yay! Was there ever a better movie yodeller? Those are imaginative choices, and I hope I get to see at least one or two of each star's features on their dedicated day
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Judith & Anne,

I agree that there are some overly repeated movies here from some of our stars.
But, I was happy to see Jane Russell again and also look forward to seeing Roy Rogers. As a kid, he was the only real movie star to me and I went through a cowboy period, trying to emulate him.

I will try to see Ann Miller's films because I've never seen most of them. What great names - - "Eve Knew Her Apples" and "Reveille with Beverley" - - who thinks up those titles???

But, I agree with you, Anne, most of these features I'll pass on.....

Larry

Larry
vallo

Post by vallo »

While I may watch them from time to time this month. But what I'm really looking forward to is September....

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
markbeckuaf

What I'm gonna groove on....

Post by markbeckuaf »

Upcoming, starting with today....

Some Vincent, especially a noir I haven't seen before: DANGEROUS MISSION. I'm also looking forward to watching those popcorn cruncher B's such as THE TINGLER and THE MAD MAGICIAN. :)

Doris Day. Bah humbug. ;)

I'm actually kinda grooving on a few films during Alan Ladd's day---JOAN OF PARIS, 13 WEST STREET. But I agree, they didn't do too much to get more of his core stuff.

June Allyson. See Doris Day. ;)

Enest Borgnine's day looks kinda groovy. Most I've seen before, and recently on TCM, but I'd like to see CHINA CORSAIR, SEASON OF PASSION and THE RABBIT TRAP. Also for some reason, I've never seen all of BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, so I'm looking forward to checking that out this time! :)

Joan Bennett's day is also like Borgnine's. Most of the pre-codes I've seen, except the Joe E. Brown film ELEVEN MEN AND A GIRL. I'm also really looking forward to seeing the cleaned up print of WOMAN IN THE WINDOW--woohooo!!! :D Some nice B mysteries in the lineup as well.

Elvis. See Doris Day.

Maureen O'Hara's day doesn't thrill me but I'm gonna give a few films a try I haven't seen before.

Spencer Tracy, same ol' same ol', but not the best selection, though some good ones, but THE MURDER MAN is always worth a watch.

I'm not a big Errol Flynn fan, but will give a few films a watch I've not before, and of course, though he's only a corpse in the film, I love THE CASE OF THE CURIOUS BRIDE with my main man, Warren William! :D

I'm also not too high on Rosalind Russell, but I'm also going to watch a few of her films I've not tried before, and of course, I love the mystery films from the 30's, so her Philo Vance film is a must-see, with Paul Lukas, seen before, but great.

Coop. See Spencer Tracy above. TCM has overplayed Coop lately, but I do love a lot of those films.

Ann Miller day is ok, though I'm not a big fan of musicals generally, but I can't deny how happy I'll be just to watch the Marx Bros in ROOM SERVICE on her day! :)

Jane Fonda. See Doris Day.

Ronnie Reagan---this is actually one of my favourite days, because it's the only day where there is nice block of those latter 30's WB films, as TCM used to show more of years ago.

Broderick Crawford day is kinda groovy with lots of cool noir/crime films, some I haven't seen before.

Kirk Douglas. See Coop above. TCM seems to overplay Coop and Kirk these days, as they used to do with Bogie, Cagney and Eddie G. I'd rather those latter 3, usually.

Loretta Young's day is nice, though I've seen most of the films before, I'm curious to see how nice the print of THE DEVIL TO PAY will be. More 30's films, pound for pound, than most of the other days. Some later films I've not seen before.

Roy Rogers' day looks like a rare treat, I was surprised to see it in the lineup, it rocks! Totally.

Mary Astor day. Kinda see Coop, but I like this one better, two silents, some cool 30's films. Nothing earth shaking, but I like it :)

Having a day for Buster Keaton is all groovy and all, and I dig the latter 2/3 of the day very much (though I've seen all but one of the short silent films before, wish they had pulled MORE of those out!!!), but why do we have to see 4 films to kick off the day where he just has a cameo, and the films, more or less, kinda suck, generally. Oh well. :)

That's my "take" on the rest of August. Sept is kinda better (though still not enough 30's films for my taste), October is a bit groovy with the horror stuff and November rocks the house, no doubt.

Mark
It's a pre-code world and we're living in it!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Does anyone think they are reaching a bit by showing Kane on Allan Ladd's day? I know he was an extra and has a line there at the end, but it seems like they are scrambling a bit for films from him. I understand as a lot of his early work was with Paramount, but if that's the case you ought to just profile someone else whose body of work you have access to.

They spotlighted Crawford and O'Toole (I like O'Toole by the way) because they were debuting films for those artists that had not showed on TCM before. I also enjoyed Dana Andrews day and was glad to see Edge of Doom (1950) shown. Summer Under the Stars always runs hot and cold for me, but like every month, I do find things I want to record and see.
markbeckuaf

Post by markbeckuaf »

Yeah, it's definitely a reach for Ladd's day. I kinda agree with you, but I still am happy for the day, even though a significant portion of the films aren't really films you'd typically see on a tribute to an actor's work, not his primary stuff, for the most part. But still, it allows some films to pop up I'd not seen before, so I can't complain too much. I remember last year or year before, they had a day devoted to Ray Milland, well some of the films he was barely in, definitely not one of the main stars, but they aired some really cool pre-codes I'd not seen before, so I was happy as a clam.

I'm a bit more upset about Keaton's day, showing 4, somewhat long-ish, sucky (I think they are anyway) films from the 50's/60's that he had very little to do with. Oh well, better than him not having a day at all, I guess! :)
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I too am looking forward to Maureen O'Hara day. I wanna see the 'B' Technicolor flick "Bagdad" again, and also "The Long Gray Line" co-starring Tyrone Power.
Joan Crawford day was good for me, especially with "Harriet Craig", and "Autumn Leaves".
Also looking forward to Ernest Borgnine, Ann Miller, Rosalind Russell, and Loretta Young.
At the moment Doris Day is brightening my day.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Re: What I'm gonna groove on....

Post by pktrekgirl »

markbeckuaf wrote:
I'm not a big Errol Flynn fan, but will give a few films a watch I've not before, and of course, though he's only a corpse in the film, I love THE CASE OF THE CURIOUS BRIDE with my main man, Warren William! :D
Are you saying your favorite Errol Flynn film of the day is when he plays a CORPSE??????? :x :x :x

Your attitude has been noted! Oh yes! It's been noted! :x :x :x

:P :lol:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Markbeckuaf:

Still trying to figure if that's your name, or an anagram for something.

Anyway, yes, I agree it's stretching to play Kane on Alan Ladd day, when he starred in so many movies. However, you also commented on Ray Milland not being a main star, but au contraire! The reason Ray day was not full of his starring roles is he did not belong to the studios that TCM has access to which is the same for Alan. If it were not for the 'loaning' out of certain stars for certain movies, we would never see many fine actors like Ladd, Milland and Tyrone Powers. Even as it is, we only get approximately 3 movies per actor per year. I guess TCM has recently acquired some movies from Columbia studios, so that is why we're getting so many 30's and 40's different films we haven't seen before.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
markbeckuaf

Post by markbeckuaf »

pktrekgirl wrote:
markbeckuaf wrote:
Are you saying your favorite Errol Flynn film of the day is when he plays a CORPSE??????? :x :x :x

:lol: Great one, pktrekgirl! :)
Ummmm....well.....yeah. But well....I'm giving others a try, does that count in my favor? :oops:
markbeckuaf

Post by markbeckuaf »

mrsl wrote:Markbeckuaf:

Still trying to figure if that's your name, or an anagram for something.

Anyway, yes, I agree it's stretching to play Kane on Alan Ladd day, when he starred in so many movies. However, you also commented on Ray Milland not being a main star, but au contraire! The reason Ray day was not full of his starring roles is he did not belong to the studios that TCM has access to which is the same for Alan. If it were not for the 'loaning' out of certain stars for certain movies, we would never see many fine actors like Ladd, Milland and Tyrone Powers. Even as it is, we only get approximately 3 movies per actor per year. I guess TCM has recently acquired some movies from Columbia studios, so that is why we're getting so many 30's and 40's different films we haven't seen before.

Anne
Sorry for the misunderstanding...I meant to say that in many of the films TCM showed that day, Ray was not the "major star" of that particular film, not that he isn't a major star. Sorry for the confusion. That's why I compared it to the Ladd day :)
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

markbeckuaf wrote:
pktrekgirl wrote:
markbeckuaf wrote:

:lol: Great one, pktrekgirl! :)
Ummmm....well.....yeah. But well....I'm giving others a try, does that count in my favor? :oops:
Well, Errol is not for everyone. I'm just messin' with ya! ;)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy some of the others. He really can be quite entertaining.

As for me, I have not been overly enthused about this SOTS.

I have been especially disappointed with the fact that there is such a large proportion of actors who did the bulk of their work in the 60's. That, combined with the fact that some of my favorites from the 30's and 40's have days that are chock full of films that have been shown over and over and over doesn't leave alot for me to be excited about. Which is unfortunately, because last year I was very excited about SUTS.

I was excited about the Dana Andrews day....and I also am looking forward to Joan Bennett, Maureen O'Hara, Rosalind Russell, Ann Miller, Ronald Reagan, Loretta Young, and a couple of others....but Doris Day, Peter O'Toole, Elvis & Jane Fonda get a giant 'meh' from me...and while Sean Connery is still breathtaking, even at 80-something, he is really not a classic film star either, IMO. Love Errol Flynn, Myrna Loy, Spencer Tracy and (of course) Gary Cooper...but there is nothing NEW there - not a single rare film shown in the bunch. Instead, we get the billionth showings of THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and PRIDE OF THE YANKEES. I mean, I love those films, but how many times can you watch 'em, fer cryin' out loud??? Not even any rarities on the Buster Keaton or Mary Astor days.
Last edited by pktrekgirl on August 13th, 2007, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I want to check out the films on Spencer Tracy day to see if they are playing Plymouth Adventure or A Man's Castle---two of his I want to record. Someone mentioned The Murder Man---that's one I never even heard of so I'm excited about it.

Of course, I am thrilled Gary Cooper gets a day, even if the movies are the usual run---exception being They Came to Codura, an excellent western that is rarely shown.

I recorded a couple of the late night Alan Ladd movies last night, which hopefully will make up for the dreadful Carpetbaggers. Actually, Ladd was the only good thing about that ultra-trashy movie. I was shocked to see the TimeWarner online guide give it "three stars"!
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Spencer Tracy day schedule:
Fury (1936)
Northwest Passage (1940)
Boys' Town (1938)
Men Of Boys Town (1941)
Guy Named Joe, A (1943)
Without Love (1945)
Adam's Rib (1949)
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)
Judgment At Nuremberg (1961)
Inherit The Wind (1960)
Murder Man, The (1935)

In short, same 'ole, same 'ole. :(

I really do not understand why they even bother to have SUTS if they are gonna play nothing unique. THE MURDER MAN is the most interesting thing on there, and they even played that a few months back.