In the news...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

PC MIA

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

What is is with directors losing their pcs? Previously noted here in In the News, was the tale of Francis Ford Coppola being robbed of his pc and backup; now it's Steven Spielberg who's been burgled. According to today's L.A. Times, computers and photographs for the director's upcoming fourth Indiana Jones film were stolen, and DreamWorks Pictures SKG has asked local law enforcement to investigate. The stolen items contain "confidential and proprietary materials" related to the Harrison Ford/Cate Blanchett vehicle, which they hope will be a potential blockbuster next summer.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

If they really wanted to do the moviegoing audience a favor, they'd leave Spielberg alone and steal Michael Bay's upcoming projects.
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

On the subject of cinematic train rides, I'd also add:

GO WEST (1940), with the Marx Brothers destroying the train in order to "win the race."

TERROR BY NIGHT (1946), featuring Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes in one of the best mystery-on-a-train movies ever.

TERROR ON A TRAIN (1953), a neat little thriller with Glenn Ford as a demolitions expert racing to disarm a bomb planted on board a train.
benwhowell

Killing Michael Bay

Post by benwhowell »

A big AMEN to that, Jon!
[youtube][/youtube]
Handsome Johnny Eck
Moraldo Rubini

I Want to Hold Your Hand

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Martins Scorsese has announced he's going to make a documentary on the life of Beatle George Harrison. What with the recent release of Julie Taymor's movie musical Across the Universe, which uses songs written by the Beatles, it's interesting to see this heightened interest in the 1960's phenomenon. Supposedly both Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney have agreed to be interviewed fro Scorsese's tribute.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Re: Killing Michael Bay

Post by SSO Admins »

benwhowell wrote:A big AMEN to that, Jon!
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That was great!
Moraldo Rubini

Heaven Can Wait

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

It all started with Dobie Gillis! And now, almost 50 years after Warren Beatty's debut, he's about to be awarded the AFI's Lifetime Achievement Award. The Gala occasion is set for June 12, 2008.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moraldo:

This is a serious question and not meant to be snide, although I know it is going to sound like it, but it is kind of mystical to me.

What in the world has Warren Beatty ever done to be awarded a lifetime achievement award other than exhibiting gross egotism, a total lack of sensibility, and a wide range of loser movies? such as Reds, Love Affair, Ishtar, etc., need I go on?

I really have no idea what he has ever done, can you tell me?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Moraldo Rubini

Warren Peace

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

mrsl wrote:This is a serious question and not meant to be snide, although I know it is going to sound like it, but it is kind of mystical to me.
What in the world has Warren Beatty ever done to be awarded a lifetime achievement award other than exhibiting gross egotism, a total lack of sensibility, and a wide range of loser movies? such as Reds, Love Affair, Ishtar, etc., need I go on?
Actually Anne, it doesn't matter what you or I think about it. It matters what those in the industry think, and Warren Beatty is widely loved in the business. Most importantly of course, he has: 1) longevity. 50 years of being in this business called Show, is pretty good when you consider for many it's merely a revolving door.
2) He has a lot of fans from Splendor in the Grass, Bonnie and Clyde, Shampoo, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Heaven Can Wait among others. Like it or not, many consider these "classics". I'm among them. Reds was one of my favorite movies of the year it was released!
3) He's versatile! He acts, produces, writes, directs. There's no denying he has clout.
4) He's extremely active politically and philanthropically. There was a sizable faction trying to convince him to run for public office recently. He declined.
5) He's somewhat of a legend. His name harkens back to the age when Hollywood was going through growing pains. He's worked with Vivien Leigh, Elia Kazan, Lotte Lenya, Coral Brown, Eva Marie Saint, Karl Malden, Angela Lansbury, Brandon DeWilde, Jean Seberg, Kim Hunter, Franchot Tone, Arthur Penn, Hurd Hatfield, Arthur Hiller, Bob Cummings, Leslie Caron, Lionel Stander, Hermione Gingold, Natlie Wood, Keenan Wynn, Sandy Dennis, Catherine Nesbitt, Bessie Love and Susannah York -- all before he made Bonnie and Clyde. That's some heady company! This man must have great stories.
I loved the moment at the Oscars a few years back when the MC asked the star-studded audience who among them had slept with Warren Beatty, and 3/4 of them raised their hands.
I'm happy for him, and for the funds that this event will hopefully raise to help restore classic films. Would he have been my first choice? Dunno. I'd have to think about who's still around... Who would you have picked?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moraldo:

Obviously, I personally can't stand the man, BUT, you answered my question and I thank you for that. I was unaware of any philanthropic works, political or otherwise, and did not know he was capable of the things you listed. I was however, aware of the significance of the question put forth by that MC, and the reaction, in addition to the attempt to hide the giggles and smiles. After all, Annette was sitting right next to him. I don't know why I've never warmed up to him. He's another one I've tried to like and because of Natalie I've seen Splendor in the Grass many times, but usually one viewing of his movies is enough for me. I probably should give Reds another try, but . . . Actually, most of the films and co-stars you listed were directed by other people, and those are the ones I've seen but his movies (which he has complete control over) are not my preference.

So you see, although it was worded in a slightly nasty way, it was a legitimate query into the reasoning behind his being chosen. It seems the only time I ever hear of him is when he has a new movie coming out, and when he appears on Leno or Letterman, he's very 'I did this, and I did that' about it. Living in California as you do, I'm sure you hear more about him locally than we do here in the Midwest.

I would have to see a list of previous recipients in order to give any idea as to the person I would choose. Wasn't he awarded the Jean Hersholdt award that year we both mentioned? That should have given me a clue.

Thanks again.

Anne
Anne

Moraldo Rubini

Nomination Committee

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Anne, who would you like to see recieve this year's AFI Lifetime Achievement award?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Okay Moraldo:

You made me click off and go look up AFI's past recipients. To me, life achievement should mean someone whose work advanced not only the entertainment world, but reached out to people of all nations and paths of life, using their reknown as a stepping stone to achieving an open door.

In that respect I would nominate Paul Newman. My reasoning is his enormous assistance to the lesser fortunate. I know Joanne has a lot to do with children, but since she has pretty much faded off the screen, I think she is actually only the 'face' which you can see, whereas Paul is still working. The food products alone that he makes is cause for great admiration. From what I understand, most of the profit of his food line is donated to various charities all over the world. To me, THAT is humanitarianism.

This is not to take away from Mr. Beatty, but I still don't know what type of philanthropic work he has done.

I also believe a special award should be planned for Audrey Hepburn to acknowledge all of her work with UNICEF although posthumously. Again, she used her entertainment notoriety to open doors. When used for good works, I say GO GIRL!!!

Anne

P.S. I'm still not convinced that Angelina has made such a complete 100% rotation from me, me, me, to them, them, them.
Anne

Moraldo Rubini

Midlife Achievements

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Anne wrote:To me, "life achievement" should mean someone whose work advanced not only the entertainment world, but reached out to people of all nations and paths of life, using their reknown as a stepping stone to achieving an open door.

In that respect I would nominate Paul Newman. My reasoning is his enormous assistance to the lesser fortunate. I know Joanne has a lot to do with children, but since she has pretty much faded off the screen, I think she is actually only the 'face' which you can see, whereas Paul is still working. The food products alone that he makes is cause for great admiration. From what I understand, most of the profit of his food line is donated to various charities all over the world. To me, THAT is humanitarianism.
That's very ambitious (and noble!). I'm afraid the AFI's Award is less so; though noteworthy nevertheless. Shucks, they're just a bunch of [beloved] actors (and a smattering of directors). I'm guessing its unspoken primary purposes are to bring the AFI's work to the public's mind and to bring in donations for their work. I'm betting the award is as much a marketing scheme as an honorarium.

Paul Newman is an excellent choice at any rate! I wonder if they've approached him...

For the interested, here are the past recipients (I doubt many would have passed Anne's requirements :wink: ):

Al Pacino
Sean Connery
George Lucas
Meryl Streep
Robert DeNiro
Tom Hanks
(a little young for "lifetime achievement", no?)
Barbra Streisand
Harrison Ford
(see Hanks' comment)
Dustin Hoffman (maybe it's a "middle-aged achievement"?)
Robert Wise
Martin Scorsese
Clint Eastwood
Steven Spielberg
Jack Nicholson
Elizabeth Taylor
Sidney Poitier
Kirk Douglas
David Lean
Gregory Peck
Jack Lemmon
Barbara Stanwyck
Billy Wilder
Gene Kelly
Lillian Gish
John Huston
Frank Capra
Fred Astaire
James Stewart
Alfred Hitchcock
Henry Fonda
Bette Davis
William Wyler
Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

All right Mr. Rubini:

Make me sound like Ma Yokum, you Fink! I simply took their explanation to heart, and assumed they meant people who did more than repeat other people's words.

This is what they say:

When AFI was founded in 1967, one of its purposes was to ensure that "great accomplishments of the past are recognized to the end that the masters of film may take their deserved place in history beside leaders in other arts."

AFI has clearly achieved this objective through the Life Achievement Award, which was established by the Board of Trustees on February 23, 1973. The Life Achievement Award honors an individual whose career in motion pictures or television has greatly contributed to the enrichment of American culture.

The criteria stated that "the recipient should be one whose talent has in a fundamental way advanced the film art; whose accomplishment has been acknowledged by scholars, critics, professional peers and the general public; and whose work has stood the test of time." In 1993, AFI trustees extended the criteria to encompass individuals with active careers and work of significance yet to be accomplished.

I caught a couple of names like Liz Taylor, and considered her work in AIDS, and there is Sidney Poitier's struggle to bring blacks to the forefront of acting. And there are a couple of other names there who I know did a lot of charitable work, so I assumed they were being on the square.

I especially love the very last sentence - "In 1993, . . . accomplishments." Tell me, how do you deliver an award on the "work of significance YET to be accomplished"? That's probably your answer in regard to your side note about Tom Hanks.

Someday, SOMEDAY, I'll catch you in SOMETHING Mr. R and then you'll be at my MERCY!! Ha-Ha! (twirling her make believe mustache). :twisted:

Anne
Anne

Moraldo Rubini

Save me!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Anne wrote:Someday, SOMEDAY, I'll catch you in SOMETHING Mr. R and then you'll be at my MERCY!! Ha-Ha! (twirling her make believe mustache).
See ya soon! You'll find me bound to the train tracks hoping my hero will save me...