Can someone bring me up to speed?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wonderful story, Larry---what fun, what glamour, sunning with Merle Oberon in Acapulco!! Tell me, did you ever get to meet Coop??
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Larry,

I guess that I don't know your history as well as some of the others do but... Is the tale about Merle, Roz and Adolph and the Oscar nomination a true story or told tongue in cheek? Please don't take offense at my asking. If it's true then I have to assume that you are in fact deeply involved (employed) in the motion picture industry. I find it fascinating so please tell me more, like how long you've been a part of it and how you got started. That is of course, if you don't mind. I don't mean to impose upon you and I'm certain you have far better ways to spend your time, but should you choose to indulge me, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks as always,

Hollis
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Miss G -
No, sorry - no Coop!! My grandmother did know Rocky Cooper and her family, the Balfes in Eastern USA but I never saw her.
Incidentally, someone on the TCM boards wrote in the "Patricia Neal" thread that Rocky was very well loved in Hollywood. Not so; she wasn't liked much by anybody except Gloria Stewart, James Stewart's wife. It was Gloria who was well loved not Rocky.....

Hollis -
My story, in a nutshell, is that I lived in LA from 1946 to 1964 with my grandmother, who was a high society maven and mover & shaker in LA.
She knew many, if not most, of the old stars and everybody in the studios system.
She had carte-blanche entrance to nearly everything she wanted. She had been married to European royalty (4 times) and everyone kissed her royal ass!! I tagged along for most of it!!

You can get the semi-full story on TCM boards under "Larry's Classic Star Reminiscences" in the General Discussion section.....

But, you can ask me anything and if I know the answer I'll respond.

Larry
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks so much, Larry, for your reply. I love reading your reminiscences, you should really write a book!
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Larry,

Miss G is right! Three more novels to go and I'll have finished with everything that John Grisham has written. Then what will I do? Where shall I go? I've always depended upon the kindness of strangers... The book's just waiting to be written! All you need is an editorial assistant, so? You can do it!

Hollis
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Good Morning Miss G and Hollis,

Several people have suggested that I write a book and the idea is interesting.
But, I would have to wait until my parents were dead, as my father is quite vehement about any publicity about his mother. There is a book out there about my great grandfather, but my grandmother is never mentioned in it as having been his daughter. My father sued the author and had her expunged from the book.
So, if I wrote any book about my family, my Dad would expunge me!!

Larry
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I would never want to see you "expunged", Larry---so we can wait. :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Larry, I've told you this before, but just as a reminder - I'll be your proof reader, sales agent, typist, whatever. Just start it, I'm like Duke the Dog in the Bush's Baked Beans commercials.....I'll never tell :lol: :lol:

Nancy