Kings Row (1942)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Kings Row (1942)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Great performances by all and surely a contender for Ronnie's best work. Any other fans?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mr. Arkadin:

One of my favorite all time movies. Is it going to be on soon? Is that why you mention it? Ann Sheridan is gorgeous as usual, and this is the only time I recall Robert Cummings playing an intelligent person, he's usually someones gofer. Ronnie is quite good, especially when he wakes up after his operation. The first time I saw the movie, I went to the library to get the book out, but my Mom wouldn't let me read it. I had to wait several years until I was married to do so. As tough as the movie is, the book is even more eye opening. It's a wonderful story though.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

It comes on Friday. They are spotlighting RR. I love the film as well.
feaito

Kings Row DVD

Post by feaito »

This film is one of my favorites too, but I've only seen it once. I'd like to buy the DVD edition. Has anyone bought it? Is the transfer good?
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

This movie is one of my favorites, although I am not fond of Robert Cummings, I think it is his strongest performance, as well as Ronald Reagan's. And Claude Rains, Betty Field, Ann Sheridan all give strong portrayals. I find it hard to watch Charles Coburn in any other film without recalling his role of the sadistic surgeon here. And Erich Korngolds theme is just majestic. I ilke this film so much, I sought out the book through my local library, to see what parts of the story they had to tone down for the film. This is one instance where the book struck a stronger chord with me than the film - the book is much darker in tone and lacks the uplifting ending seen in the film.
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Kings Row DVD

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

feaito wrote:This film is one of my favorites too, but I've only seen it once. I'd like to buy the DVD edition. Has anyone bought it? Is the transfer good?
I have it. The transfer is OK, (I'm pretty sure it's what TCM will show tonight), but it's not squeaky clean.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the info Mr. Arkadin.