Where am I?

Discussion of programming on TCM.

Keanu Reeves as Klaatu. Love it or hate it?

Hate it, he'd be better as Gort!
20%
Love it; he's out of this world!
80%

Total votes: 5

Moraldo Rubini

Where am I?

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Aargh, this was supposed to have gone into "In the news"
Last edited by Moraldo Rubini on September 5th, 2007, 4:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Well, say what you will about Keanu Reeves - he was really good in THE MATRIX film trilogy.

Granted, he had a strong supporting cast...but still, he made a great Neo.

Who knows - maybe scifi is his strong suit? Because in alot of current-day scifi films, 'wooden' is interpreted as 'bad*ss'.

It totally worked for him in THE MATRIX films.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

He's not wooden in everything!!! Certainly not in The Lakehouse. It depends on the role. What I dread is Klaatu doing all kinds of horrible threatening things to the people watching him as they tend to do nowadays to put excitement into movies. I doubt they will have him just stand there, because audiences today don't realize what a thought provoking story this is. Audiences today want action and CGI stuff, they don't want to think, they want the actors to do that for them.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Moraldo Rubini

Hahahaha

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

And of course, the one time I completely screw up a post, everyone is immediately there to chime in and witness my mess! First I couldn't get the links to work, then I had a third option to the poll that didn't show up (and once it's down, it looks as if it cannot be changed). Maybe it won't allow us to add a poll to an already existing thread? Anyway, please feel free to join us here:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis/view ... 0372#10372
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

If you put back the original post, I can actually move the thread to the correct forum, if that is what you are trying to do.....

*edit* - never mind - I see what you are trying to do.

I don't read those mish-mash threads that contain a billion different topics, though. I can never follow them.

After all, there is no charge for starting a thread. ;)
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Hahahaha

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:And of course, the one time I completely screw up a post, everyone is immediately there to chime in and witness my mess!
I'll forgive you if you discuss your namesake film with me (I Vitelloni [1953]) this weekend! 8)
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Hmmm Well I think Reeves can pull it off but it'll probably be a SFX laden film with Klaatu "demonstrating" his power.

Oh well we'll see how the movie turns out when it comes out.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

SPTO wrote:Hmmm Well I think Reeves can pull it off but it'll probably be a SFX laden film with Klaatu "demonstrating" his power.

Oh well we'll see how the movie turns out when it comes out.
As long as it's not sfx for sfx's sake, I can accept it. I'm curious as to who will play the role Patricia Neal had in the original. Any rumors in that regard?

As always,

Hollis
moira finnie
Administrator

Whaddya mean they're remaking that classic!!

Post by moira finnie »

No one can wear that mantle of otherworldliness quite like Michael Rennie. Sorry.

Who do they see in the Sam Jaffe part?
Or the Hugh Marlowe role, for that matter?

I actually like Keanu Reeves, but not for any of his worthy recent oh, so popular sci-fi projects or romance flicks. Give me the delightfully cheesy Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure any time!

Despite what many think of as his narrow acting range, Reeves does have an interestingly quiet manner with an edge of melancholy that might be effective. I'd think he would be a bit weary of sci-fi, though.

I guess those Hollywood guys think that the material of The Day the Earth Stood Still will translate well into the 21st century since we're in another paranoid period of history, as we were during the Cold War thanks to terrorism.

I agree very strongly with JohnM about one of the key missing ingredients: Robert Wise!
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

pktrekgirl wrote:I don't read those mish-mash threads that contain a billion different topics, though. I can never follow them.

After all, there is no charge for starting a thread. ;)
Actually, if you start too many threads, the intertubez can clog up.