A request for clarification

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

A request for clarification

Post by mrsl »

My dear Ms Goddess, Ms lzcutter, and Mr. Kyle in Hollywood:

When you guys and the others I haven't listed, post your unique, and extremely interesting ideas over on the TCM message board, I really wish you would copy them over here so we can all enjoy them. I wondered why we weren't getting many of those great critiques we used to, and now I realize they're being WASTED over there.

I acknowledge being old members of the site you are loathe to completely severe ties, but although I acknowledge it, I don't understand it.

I just spent 20 minutes trying to find Ms. Goddess' post on 3:10 to Yuma which she mentions here, and finally found it, but I had to wade through all the other boring stuff that was also in the various threads. I very much dislike contributing to TCM because I don't feel I owe them any loyalty after they failed to show any to us. If that sounds harsh, that's the way I feel. They didn't care about us and our attempts to keep the boards civil, and after all this time, when they are finally doing something, I don't feel obligated to continue visiting.

My fears are that either this site will be dropped and everyone will go back to posting on TCM, thinking it is free and clear of troubles; or those trouble makers will come over here and ruin this board as they did there. These thoughts have been on my mind for a couple of weeks, and I find more and more people are drifting back to TCM. Many times lately I have found myself alone here, wondering where everyone is, and I click over there and find several people posting who would normally be on SSO. Anyway, I'm just wondering what the attraction is over there?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Anne, you are not alone at all in this feeling.

I think I've maybe made 10 posts at TCM since this board was founded. But occasionally, I wonder why traffic is slow here and come to discover that everyone from here is posting full stop over there...but not here.

I thought I'd do my part and start some threads here, but they are largely ignored, so I have pretty much given up.

I won't be going back to TCM - I think any improvement there will be temporary at best, and I'm tired of wasting my time reading variations on the same arguments over and over there.

But I'm also tired of posting threads and comments here that go largely unnoticed. I've got better things to do with my time than talk to a wall.

It's the main reason why I stopped wasting my bandwidth posting my art here - no one seemed to bother to comment, so I can only assume everyone thinks it sucks. *shrugs* Fine with me. I simply won't post it here anymore.

Same with threads I start. I try to comment in other people's threads and start some of my own...but I get pretty much ignored...so now my main participation here is to make film trades using the PM system. Which I am happy to do, by the way...but film trades were not the sole reason I signed up here. :lol:

The bottom line is that starting a new board takes work. Not just the mods and admins work - but everyones work. Because in order to attract new people with new ideas to sign up, you have to have active topics that will entice them to take the time to sign up and post.

I can't do that alone - and neither can you, Anne. It's up to everyone to start topics, contribute to topics, and keep the board interesting and the community active.

I think people are making a choice. And while I'm disappointed in the choice they are apparently making, it is certainly theirs to make....and I'm not sure there is much you or I can do about it.

I am a member of a third board, which I've been a part of for a couple of years...and I'll simply post pretty much only there if this place dies. I also have my hard-core film trading buddies, who I talk with on the phone frequently and email constantly. So I get plenty of chatter about classic film.

But yeah...I'm like you - kinda discouraged at how this has turned out, after such an encouraging and enthuiastic start. :(
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I understand how both of you feel. I think we're caught between TCM and the number of people here. We may have 70 listed members but only about 15 to 20 post regularly. I sometimes post at TCM but I check there when it seems little is happening here.

I know several post both places. I know "Cinemalover" copies his here and MissGoddess and Mongo copy their posts here.

I probably post enough but there are times the discussion is over my head. I'd like to think my comments have some value. I'm not a big collector so I'm of little help.

I think it comes down to having more people (dangerous as that might be) to vary and add to the discussion. There's a risk but I hope after reading people will see the way we handle things and they'll know what is expected.

You both bring a great value to this place and I hope time will dampen your frustration. Hopefully, some of the regulars will get to spend more time here. I know Liz's father has health issues. Even though I've been in touch with Kyle we haven't talked about being here.

If we want to share ideas I'm game. We can post here or PM me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Anne---sorry it was so much trouble to find the Yuma posts in the Gary Cooper thread, but they were on the most recent page and should have been front and center. My thoughts were pretty negative, ha! So maybe they aren't worth repeating since some seem to like the movie (however, I'll copy some of it over to the Western thread now).

I try to check in here at least once a day (not on weekends) and in the past started a few threads and I always respond where I can---but frankly, I've had the same reaction to my some of my threads as you to yours---only dribs and drabs. It's a bit discouraging then to copy and paste everything here if there is only a few replies. However, I do try to post on any threads that interest me.

As for TCM, there are a few posters whose opinions I enjoy and learn from and as long as they continue to contribute there, I'll join in while I can. I avoid the "hot threads" when I can.

Also, this is just my personal preference here---I love being able to look at and post tons of pictures, which is discouraged here within threads unless they are reasonably small (most of mine aren't reasonable or small). I'm a board-hog admittedly when it comes to pictures. :P

I am sorry if I've been lax---I'll try to do better. :)
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Miss Goddess - You are the best.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I haven't been posting much in either place for the last month and half due to my dad's medical crisis. While he is getting better, he has to have another surgery this evening to remove his left foot and lower leg.

I much prefer talking film and stuff here as the conversation is much more stimulating and a lot less confrontational.

I did chime in on the Challenge Vote thread as the hard work that goes into those schedules should be recognized and rewarded.

Hopefully, my dad will continue to improve and you'll be seeing lots more of me around these parts.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Lynn---I'm so sorry to hear that about your father, and I do hope he is on the mend soon. I always learn so much from your posts, especially the ones on Ford.

Ken---you're an Irish angel. You've started so many interesting threads here and I'm grateful as I'm sure the others are.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Thank You Miss G.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, I think one of the reasons you aren't getting the volume of responses to your posts that you'd like is that so many of us here are of the same mind. I can't see myself simply posting "Yes, I agree with you, friend," a dozen times if I don't have anything of my own to add.

Frankly, in some cases I really loathe some of the stars who are being lauded on various threads here, but I just don't feel that I want to put my two cents in simply to say "Are you crazy? I can't stand that one," since so many others are so obviously enchanted (not to mention any names, but - please don't kill me verbally - one of those has the initials Julie Andrews). Such exchanges can quickly devolve into a "No she isn't/Yes she is" kind of scene which I don't think is the purpose of this board.

I also think it's natural for there to be occasional lulls; many people were away from their computers in the summer, for example. When something intersting appears on the classical cinema scene, we'll all be tripping over ourselves to comment on it.

In short, I hope we can all stay together. You are all such interesting and lovely people, and I am happy to talk to you about one of our favorite subjects.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Lynn,

I'm very sorry that your father will lose his foot & partial leg. How horrible; I cannot even imagine how terrible that would be for him.

All the best for him to recover quickly and well.

Larry
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

jdb1 wrote:Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, I think one of the reasons you aren't getting the volume of responses to your posts that you'd like is that so many of us here are of the same mind. I can't see myself simply posting "Yes, I agree with you, friend," a dozen times if I don't have anything of my own to add.

Frankly, in some cases I really loathe some of the stars who are being lauded on various threads here, but I just don't feel that I want to put my two cents in simply to say "Are you crazy? I can't stand that one," since so many others are so obviously enchanted (not to mention any names, but - please don't kill me verbally - one of those has the initials Julie Andrews). Such exchanges can quickly devolve into a "No she isn't/Yes she is" kind of scene which I don't think is the purpose of this board.
You know, you may have hit on something here.

The thing is, discussion boards are built on disagreement - and on the members ability to disagree in a reasonable and rational exchange. I'm not talking about disagreement through hostile exchanges or trolling or via individuals implying that they are 'right', and all other opinions are 'wrong'...but on sincere, and even vigorous disagreement and differences of opinion.

Discussions on an internet message board are rarely interesting if everyone agrees all the time.

Perhaps many of us were so traumatized by the goings-on at TCM that we are loathe to disagree with each other publically?

Do you guys think that could possibly be part of it?

I guess I am different in this regard - I have years of experience posting on a very large and very active board....and if you can't take someone disagreeing with your opinion over there, then you won't last long. I have carried that behavior over to the classic film community...but I will say that I have come across more people in the film community who are either a) hesitant to disagree with another at all for fear of starting an argument or appearing disagreeable, or b) somewhat arrogant in their posting style, to the point where they seem to be expressing their opinions as fact.

I think the trick is to *respectfully* disagree....and to be open to the possibility of having your mind changed about things here and there. And on the flip side, to not take it personally every time another poster disagrees with your assessment of a situation.

I know the people on this board are CAPABLE of that. I know it happened recently for me! I was WAY annoyed with TMC for putting on Elvis Day for SUTS, and said so a couple of times I think. But I tell you what - after reading the thread Anne started about Elvis and his films, I am now actually interested is seeing a few...whereas before I was fairly closed to the idea. Who knows, maybe by the end of it I'll actually LIKE Elvis films! Stranger things have happened!

And I think all of us might have contributions to make like this.

Anne didn't get all bent out of shape because I wasn't enthused about Elvis Day. She allowed me my contrary opinion...But in posting her own thread, which reasonably discussed the merits of various of Elvis' movies, she really made me take stock and decide that perhaps I had written him off too quickly - and very unfairly.

Anyway. that is my own example.

But I guess what I'm saying is that disagreement is what message boards are made of. And we all have to move past this mentality that we all brought with us out of the TCM drama that has made us all so afraid of hurting someone's feelings or appearing disagreeable that we are afraid to disagree!

I don't think anyone here wants to hurt anyone else's feelings or start an argument. But I also think that we all need to be of the same understanding - that someone disagreeing with you is not personal or a reflection on you or your taste. It's just making conversation. :)
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

movieman1957 wrote:
I probably post enough but there are times the discussion is over my head. I'd like to think my comments have some value. I'm not a big collector so I'm of little help.

I think it comes down to having more people (dangerous as that might be) to vary and add to the discussion. There's a risk but I hope after reading people will see the way we handle things and they'll know what is expected.
Anne, I agree with MM1957. Most times the discussions are over my head. I don't really collect films, I just love to watch them. However, it seems like at least 50% of the comments I have made are ignored or dismissed. That sounds like sour grapes, and I don't mean it like that, it just seems like my squeaky voice isn't heard, or considered "worthy" by some of the experts. I have learned to just listen, instead of chiming in. I don't usually come up with ideas for a new thread, but I enjoy reading others.

Moira continually astounds me with her insights and knowledge of movies.
Lz, Kyle, Jon, PK, Sandy all keep me informed. Larry and Mongo have insiders info on wonderful and sometimes otherwise forgotten stars.
I check in here several times daily, just to see what's up.

Fall, to me, has always represented a new start, a new season, and promise of lovely days ahead. Perhaps we will see a renewed interest, and so many posts we can't keep up!

Lynn, if you are reading this, please know that all of us share in your concerns, and all of us wish you and your father the absolute best.

Nancy
vallo

Post by vallo »

While I don't think we should be a carbon copy of any other Forum. I do check this site a couple of times a day (and 4 or 5 others) and if I want to add my 2 cents , I do. Some topics I may not be interested in. And maybe another poster wrote just about the same comment I would have made ( most likely more literate then I could have) So, it's not that we're ignoring this site, I love it here (especially Troll Free) But some threads may have been retreads. But I read them all and respect the poster and attention this site gets.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm going to add my two cents.

I love this Message Board and I try to check as regularly as I can. On the other hand, I very seldom log in the TCM Boards and least of all post there. They are not what they used to be and the Silver Screen Oasis Forum has totally replaced in my heart the TCM Board.

I happen to like all the people here (and I mean it) and I try to read as much threads and posts as I can. I enjoy the diversity of people and their willingness to share experiences and ideas, in a respectful, civil way.

Many times I'm in awe of the knowledgeability of my fellow posters and their ability to express their ideas in such well written and articulate posts. I also like the enthusiasm and vehemency with which many fellow film buffs express their feelings.

There are many times I'd like to join more discussions, but I can't since I don't have access to TCM USA and I have not seen many of the films that are regularly scheduled in that glorious channel.

Being the only Board member who is not a native English speaker affects the quality of my posts, since I don't have the vocabulary range most of you have and I seldom can practice English orally, but still, I try to share as much ideas as I can, switching constantly from Spanish (which is what I'm speaking and writing almost 100% of the time) to written English.

Being here with you is a necessity since I haven't met a Classic Film buff with whom to share my fondness for Classic Cinema here in Santiago and I know I'm in excellent company here.

I have made many good friends on these Boards and I enjoy sharing my thoughts and feelings with you. I even have had the opportunity of sharing films with some of the folks here.

I'm forever grateful to the administrator and moderators of these wonderful boards.

Long live the SSO Boards!

P.S. Lynn: I am sorry to hear about your father's health and I sincerely wish him a speedy recovery.
Last edited by feaito on September 13th, 2007, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

feaito wrote:

Being the only Board member who is not a native English speaker affects the quality of my posts, since I don't have the vocabulary range most of you have and I seldom can practice English orally, but still, I try to share as much ideas as I can, switching constantly from Spanish (which is what I'm speaking and writing almost 100% of the time) to written English.
While we may have thought Spanish is your native language it is certainly not apparent. English appears to come quite naturally to you so thanks for staying with it (and us.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."