What forums would you like to see?

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

I love the "Gallery of Stars" thread started long ago at you know where, but it becomes increasingly difficult to sort through the many images posted there. I started avoiding the thread because it would take so long to download images I didn't even know if I wanted to look at (dial-up :roll: ). So, maybe the thread could be a forum... Then the images would be separated to different actors and actresses by thread names.

Oh, that's the same as a "favorites" forum, isn't? :P
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
sugarpuss

Pictures!

Post by sugarpuss »

I like the idea of having some kind of subforum where people can post photos or galleries of their favorite actors/actresses/memorabilia, etc. I particularly enjoyed looking at the photos everyone was uploading to the Yahoo group.

Perhaps you can do something like A-L and M-Z subcategories for the actors and actresses. That way the names wouldn't be all lumped together if someone is looking for a particular star. I'm not sure if this a good idea, but I like the idea of having a place to talk about specific actors without having them spread throughout the different threads.

It's late and I'm a little tired, so I'm hoping this post makes sense!
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

bobhopefan1940 wrote:I love the "Gallery of Stars" thread started long ago at you know where, but it becomes increasingly difficult to sort through the many images posted there. I started avoiding the thread because it would take so long to download images I didn't even know if I wanted to look at (dial-up :roll: ). So, maybe the thread could be a forum... Then the images would be separated to different actors and actresses by thread names.

Oh, that's the same as a "favorites" forum, isn't? :P
Yes, folks. That was my concern when I posed the question about starting a "Gallery" thread here. I know most of us to like to see the photos, but it does get cumbersome. Some dates have lots of significant birthdays, some only a few. Today, April 18, I found 12 names I might want to find photos for, but I could pare it down to five or six.

One alternative would be to have a topic such as "ON THIS DATE," and then post individual dates - "April 18" - and show photos of birthday celebrants and/or talk about whoever had something memorable happen on that day - e.g., GWTW opened on such and such a date. However, that would of course mean 365/366 threads, but also that you could open just the date you wanted to see. We could also break it down into 12 topic months; I didn't post the birthdays every single day at TCM. Sometimes I was doing other things and didn't get around to it. Either way, a new cycle could be started each year, and the previous one deleted, if necessary. On the TCM board, it was my intention to post birthday photos for one year only, and anyone else who wanted to add a picture was welcome.

One more alternative would be, of course, a whole new sub-message board devoted to photos.

I'm very happy to keep the Gallery going, but I'm in no way married to the idea.
JDB
moira finnie
Administrator

Jdb1's Suggestions and some thoughts

Post by moira finnie »

One more alternative would be, of course, a whole new sub-message board devoted to photos. I'm very happy to keep the Gallery going, but I'm in no way married to the idea.-Jdb1
I'm sure that Jon & Pktrek will have something technically pertinent and practical to add on this matter, but here's a few thoughts that occur to me:

I think that the current Plastic Age Gallery might be one place to consider placing pictures in a variety of albums created by the poster and available to registered members for viewing. Here's a link to that existing area that allows images to be filed in different albums:
http://plasticage.net/gallery/

Another way that might provide a spot for the "sub-message board devoted to photos" referred to could be the creation of a Usergroup that could be established for members. Here's a link to the FAQ explanation of how a usergroup would work within the context of the board:
http://plasticage.net/refugees/faq.php#30

I hope that the existing possibilities of this message board might be applicable to these concerns. One of the things that impresses me about the code here at this site is the smooth way that images appear within a post and the gallery. This seems to be in marked contrast to that of the "old world" message board using Jive software.

Thanks for taking the time to think through all these choices carefully. I look forward to our Administrators' remarks.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Moira, both your suggestions seem workable to me, but I'm more partial to the Usergroup idea, because it looks like it can be made more specific - tribute subgroups, photo subgroups, this day in history subgroups, etc. - more of a mixed media, rather than photos exclusively, venue. Many posters, and I'm one of them, love that kind of thing.

However, in either case it should be made clear that the groupings are finite, and can and will be deleted if they become too unwieldy. It think that will help in keeping prospective posters from worrying that their contributions may make things too hard to navigate, and will keep those who want to browse from feeling intimidated by the size of the threads.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Moira and others....

One thing that I'm beginning to think might be needed is a forum entitled "The Stars". Or Maybe even "The Stars and the Directors". I know I've already set up a bunch of forums all on my own and stuff...but I wanted to run this by you at this point because we've been established for a few days. And we really don't want to set up too many forums as things can get really unorganized if we do that.

This has really come to my attention due to two issues that have arisen already - the thread related to "Executive Suite" & "Rachel & The Stranger"...which probably would have gone into such a forum as a William Holden issue...but got dropped into General Chat for lack of a better place...

....and of course, the number two issue is the utter, and truly embarassing absence of a Gary Cooper Thread...which is causing (as expected), MissG and I to discuss Our Favorite Obsession everywhere BUT in it's correct place.

So if no one objects, I'd really like to set up another forum in the Films section. Maybe just one, for both stars and directors.

Okay???

Thanks.
sandykaypax

Stars and directors forum

Post by sandykaypax »

pktrekgirl, I would like a Stars and Directors or People in film forum. It would keep the General Discussions from getting too clogged (the way it gets at the TCM boards).

Sandy K
sandykaypax

my bad!

Post by sandykaypax »

Hey, I just saw the announcement at the top of the Site Talk thread list: New Forum! I have a habit of reading the threads from oldest to newest...sheepish grin...

Sandy K
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

May I suggest a Fun and Games-type site? Many of us are inveterate movie trivia buffs, and we need a place of our own to keep us out of trouble.

When I was surfing for celeb photos earlier, I came across the word "triviot," which defines someone like me who likes to deal in the minutia of a subject. I see someone has already started some games - we could use a dedicated category and threads for them. Part of the fun of knowing about old movies is telling what you know, and learning more from other "trivots."

Trivially yours,
Judith
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

That might be a good idea, Judith. I know alot of boards have forums for games - trivia and otherwise.

I think it's a good idea to pursue. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I absolutely love this site, I don't miss the TCM one at all. I go there every day just to see if anything is interesting, and notice that some of you post there, but don't copy your posts to here. I wish you would. I am confused however, are we going to abandon this site and return to TCM? Or are we going to stay here?

My ONLY complaint of this site is the oldest post being shown first. It really is a pain to have to scroll through to the latest post. Some threads are now up to 4 pages and no matter what, you HAVE to scroll down to the bottom of the first page to get to the option of bringing the newest up to the top.

All threads branch off occasionally and when you come in on the original post and respond only to that, when you go to the newest post, your response seems totally disconnected. For example, in a thread about Gary Cooper, someone may compare him in westerns to Jimmy Stewart, and 3 or 4 people may join in, then a 5th person comes on and says he liked Gary in Love in the Afternoon with Audrey, and lists her virtues in the movie. You as a participant in the previous discussion have a tendancy to go "Huh?!", making you feel like an intruder by trying to continue the previous discussion.

Am I making my self clear?

Anne
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

You're clear, but, when viewing a forum, you can also click on the little yellow icon to the left of the thread title and it will take you to the first unread post in that thread.

If that icon is white, then there are no unread posts.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I think we are all in a wait and see mode regarding TCM City. I love TCM and I love their website. But, many here have had their faith badly damaged by the two incidents (the one last summer and the most recent one) and are wanting to see what TCM Web is going to do to ensure that we don't have a threpeat anytime soon.

I think many of us check in over there to see what is going on and if any progress is being made.

I think there will always be posters who post to both sites and I think there may be posters who will end up just posting here.

Both are okay in my book. I think the two sites could complement each other very well in regards to information and memories shared.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

pktrekgirl wrote:No bashing of Written On The Wind will be allowed, however. :P
There are people who don't love Written on the Wind? What's wrong with them? :o
dfordoom

Post by dfordoom »

jondaris wrote: I *hate* the designation "foreign film."
I dislike it also. Very arrogant. For some of us, American films are foreign films! :wink:

But how about a forum for European films? And maybe one for British films? I do love British movies.