new forum suggestion

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
markfp

new forum suggestion

Post by markfp »

We have a spot to talk about films on TCM, so how about having one for classic films on other channels. Although nobody is close to the quality or quantity of TCM, there are classics turning up on different channels if you know where to look for them. Fox Movie Channel just ran William Wellman's "THUNDER BIRDS" (in stunning Technicolor) which I've never seen before and they're showing "DARK JOURNEY" with Conrad Veidt and Vivian Leigh a couple of times in July. (I certainly hope it's better then all those PD DVDs going around) HBO and Cinemax, not to mention the Encore channels, have classics now and then, usually very late at night or very early in the day. I know everybody doesn't get all those channels, but we have folks here who don't get TCM. Just a thought.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: new forum suggestion

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Mark,
We did have a thread devoted to movies on the Fox Movie Channel awhile ago (several technical crashes ago, that is), but that seems to have disappeared.

Why not start a new thread devoted to this topic in the General TV and Media area?

I always scan those listings for early morning on FMC too--as well as those on the Encore channels and AMC (even though they repeat way too much, and with commercials, yet). There are some really good, little seen flicks on that outlet.

If many other members would like a forum devoted to non-TCM channels broadcasting movies of interest, perhaps we should consider adding a section to that. I do think it is worthwhile having them listed somewhere here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Don't forget IFC. I also wish we could have a thread on the Encore Western channel, Sundance, and a lot more. It would be easier if one person was responsible for each station, and concentrated on updating the thread for their channel. Other insights and postings would be welcome of course. After all, nobody knows everything! :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I had a thread called "Classics Around The Dial." If it will help, look below.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =17&t=2713
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks so much, Chris. I was too rushed this morning to unearth that thread.

Is that what you had in mind, Mark?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
markfp

Post by markfp »

moirafinnie wrote:Thanks so much, Chris. I was too rushed this morning to unearth that thread.

Is that what you had in mind, Mark?
Moira, That's pretty much what I had in mind. I just thought if it had it's own section and perhaps was located near the one for TCM it would be easy to find.

Mark
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I had forgotten this thread (and even posting in it!). Thanks.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ark, you can open the bay doors now . . Ark?

Ark ?
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

8)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I never noticed that thread called 'Classics around the dial' but I found it and I just read it a short time ago. I agree it should have it's own 'forum identity'. It gets lost so easily and let's face it (not complaining mind you, Jon dear), this site does not have the best Search engine going for it. Actually, it could be mixed in with Musicals, Westerns, Dramas, etc.

Wha d ya think?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

You have a TCM "section" on the Board Index screen with I believe three listings. Could you add a Noir Alley to that section? Noir Alley is a continuing weekly showing hosted by Eddie Muller of the Film Noir Foundation, if you are not aware. Many people on former TCM boards used the Noir Alley Forum to discuss it.
I may have my terminology wrong as I am new and getting used to this site. Thank you.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

mrsl wrote: July 2nd, 2009, 11:49 am I never noticed that thread called 'Classics around the dial' but I found it and I just read it a short time ago. I agree it should have it's own 'forum identity'. It gets lost so easily and let's face it (not complaining mind you, Jon dear), this site does not have the best Search engine going for it. Actually, it could be mixed in with Musicals, Westerns, Dramas, etc.

Wha d ya think?

Anne
I don't know when you last tried the search, but it was recently reported to me that it was not returning many results (or any at all in some cases), so I re-ran the indexer, and it improved dramatically. Can you give it another look?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Is ElCid's request for a Noir Alley subforum in the TCM forum not possible?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

It is possible. However the last time I tried to do this no one could post in it, despite several attempts by me to fix that. So I would suggest a PM to lzcutter who is better at this end of things.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: December 6th, 2022, 10:36 am It is possible. However the last time I tried to do this no one could post in it, despite several attempts by me to fix that. So I would suggest a PM to lzcutter who is better at this end of things.
Lomm,

Thank you for your response and for your effort!

Will do on contacting Lzcutter!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields