Hello

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
MichiganJ

Hello

Post by MichiganJ »

Hello. My name is Kevin and I’m new to this board (and posting in forums at all), so please forgive me if I’m doing this incorrectly.

I’ve loved movies since I got my very own (albeit used) 8mm projector for Christmas when I was eight years old (and discovered how wonderful it was to watch the 4-minute Castle Films version of House of Frankenstein...backwards!). My public library had a few 8mm films available to take out, one of them being The Hunchback of Notre Dame staring, my hero at the time, Lon Chaney. Unfortunately, the first time I watched Hunchback (it was 5-reels if my memory serves, so not quite “complete”, but close), I hated it! My favorite book, A Pictorial History of Horror Movies by Dennis Gifford clearly showed that Quasimodo was a monster, yet, here he was, the HERO of the picture! He even rescues the girl! (All eight-year old boys--especially those with a big sister--know that no self-respecting monster would ever rescue a girl!) While it was quite a disappointment, I got over it and continued to check out The Hunchback on a regular basis, as well as starting my own collection, mostly from the Castle Films catalog, (which offered either the “short” 4-minute or the “complete” 12-minute silent versions of films, mainly from Universal Studios). Since all of these films were silent, I grew up with a real passion for the Silent cinema, and movies in general, a passion which only grew with the advent of home video, laserdisc and now, DVD.

Basic info (subject to change when my memory returns):

Favorite film: Without a doubt, King Kong (the 1976 version---only kidding)

Favorite actor: Spencer Tracy is probably the best Hollywood actor, and one of my favorites (I like him best in the screwball comedies like Libeled Lady), but Bogart is probably my favorite. Wait, there’s also Lon Chaney, William Powell, John Gilbert, Gary Cooper, Chaplin...phew, too many to mention, but you get the idea.

Favorite actress: Garbo. (Runners up include: Jean Arthur; Kate Hepburn (my wife’s favorite); Myrna Loy; Ida Lupino; Fay Wray; Louise Brooks (ooh la la); Carole Lombard; Clara Bow; Mary Pickford...ditto on the too many to mention....

Favorite director: Bergman; Truffaut; Wilder; Rohmer; Allen (Woody); Kurosawa; Lubitsch; Scorsese; Griffith; Scott (Ridley); Whale; Burton (Tim), etc. (see the “too many to mention” line in Favorite actors/actress...)

I’ve run on too long, sorry. Obviously I love movies and this looks like a fun forum.
Thanks.

Kevin
klondike

Re: Hello

Post by klondike »

MichiganJ wrote: I’ve run on too long, sorry.
Kevin
Welcome, Kevin!
And I must hasten to disagree with you: postings on SSO are never judged as "too long" or "too short" . . for that matter, they're really never judged here at all.
This is a site where we encourage all our members to speak their mind, and to do so straight from their hearts; and if that sounds contradictory, well, that's what movies are all about, right?
Among many other forms of magic, they serve to weave the depths of our intellect right straight into the very seat of our passions.
As for sharing your thoughts with us, Kevin, about anything having to do with movies, and the people who make them, and the impressions they leave on your life, I'm hoping you're just getting started!
Again, welcome; plunge right in, we've got towels & lotion enough for everybody! :wink:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome, Kevin.
Your passions and ability to express yourself certainly make you seem like one of the gang already. Have fun. We're friendly.
Honest. :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hi Kevin, we like a lot of the same directors. Have fun looking around and start a few Bergman threads while you're at it!
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Welcome aboard, Kevin. I'll look forward to seeing you around the boards.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Welcome to the board, Kevin. I share many intersts in common with you and look forward to reading more of your posts. :)
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Hi Kevin! Welcome on board!!! :D
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Being new to forums, I was a bit apprehensive in jumping in, but everyone has been so friendly (and understanding), that I already feel at home. Again, thanks.

Klondike, I appreciate the comments about the length of my musings. I do tend to ramble, though, and I promise to try and keep that in check. (The towels, by the way, are nice and soft.)

Moirafinnie, your right! Everyone is friendly. (Nice avatar. I haven’t a clue how to add one, but I’ll figure it out someday...)

Mr. Arkadin (great movie!), It’ll take a bit more nerve on my part to actually start a thread on Bergman (would you put it in “The People of Film” forum?), but if it helps, my favorite Bergman film is Winter Light. No wait, Cries and Whispers. Hold on, I mean Persona. Unless the long version of Fanny and Alexander counts. No, definitely Winter Light....for now...)

Cinemalover, our paths have already crossed and we obviously share a passion (love isn’t a strong enough word, is it?), for the Universal (and others) horror films. Karloff rules! (But so do Lugosi, Chaney, Atwill, Clive, Frye, Cushing, Lee....)

Synnove, we do seem to share many interests, and I really appreciate your insights. (I very much look forward to discussing Swedish Silents, which are some of my favorites.)

Ann, thanks for the welcome. (I see that you are in Paris. I had the pleasure of living in the South of France for a year and a half [2000-2001], and the experience changed me in many profound ways I’m still discovering. As much as the French love [revere] cinema, it still fascinates me that they like their films dubbed and not subtitled.)
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

MichiganJ wrote: As much as the French love [revere] cinema, it still fascinates me that they like their films dubbed and not subtitled.
I know what you mean! :? I absolutely HATE dubbing. :twisted: But alas, French terrestrial TV seems to think that people would go away if there are any subs (except in the middle of the night of course!).... :cry:
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Well you name the names, so here's to you bringing some insight.

Welcome aboard.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hello Kevin, I've only just come across your thread. :oops:

Welcome aboard, I've spoken to you on various threads, I look forward to sharing more views. I like your list of favorite actors and actresses, it very similar to my own :D .
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
SteveLC

Post by SteveLC »

just come aboard after a month's worth of discussions about this place with a friend. now I need to find a search function to see if I can find Ivor Novello threads.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Welcome aboard Steve. I hope you enjoy.

What are your other movie preferences?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.