Harry Carey, Jr. & John Ford

Read any good books lately?
markfp

Harry Carey, Jr. & John Ford

Post by markfp »

I was ready for a movie related re-read the other night and pulled this enjoyable little book off my shelf. COMPANY OF HEREOES-MY LIFE AS AN ACTOR IN THE JOHN FORD STOCK COMPANY by Harry Carey, Jr. is an autobiography that any lover of movies especially westerns will enjoy. While mostly regarding Carey and his relationship, both on and off camera, with Ford there's plenty of stories about Carey's parents and other Ford regulars like Ben Johnson and Ward Bond.

The book which was published in 1994 and has some great photos. Amazon shows it's still available, both new and used, in paperback and hardcover. Well worth a read.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Mark---it's a wonderful read and I want to add that you can get Harry's book from his website, and if you like, request an autographed copy (which I did myself) here:

http://harrycareyjr.com/book.htm
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
markfp

Post by markfp »

I'm so glad you mentioned his website, I had forgotten about it. Now I remember seeing ads in CLASSIC IMAGES for it when it first came out.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Mark,

Thanks for posting this. It is a terrific book and would be a welcome addition to any film buff's library.

I bought the book when it first came out and even used it for reference when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to say about Yellow Ribbon for the Fan Guest Programmer event coming up in April.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese