New Brownlow book

Read any good books lately?
Ann Harding

New Brownlow book

Post by Ann Harding »

I just want to mention that very soon UKA Press will release a new book by Kevin Brownlow. It's not a volume about silent pictures, but a detailed account of the production and shooting of his second fiction feature film, Winstanley (1975). The book is on a par with his other volume, How It Happened Here telling the story of the shooting of It Happened Here (a brilliant and funny book, highly recommended!). The release of the new book Winstanley, Warts and All is coinciding with the reissue of the film itself on DVD (SD and Blu-Ray) in the UK after extensive restoration by the BFI. Both are highly recommended! :wink:

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: New Brownlow book

Post by moira finnie »

This sounds as though it might be worthwhile; thanks for posting this news.

I just finished re-reading The Parade's Gone By and loved it even more than the first time. I'd like to see It Can't Happen Here again, since the one time I saw it, I hadn't read the book about it either. Now, if only sensible people in the position to do so would just give Mr. Brownlow any cash he needs to make any documentaries, (such as the recent ones he's needed funding for), I'd be so happy and the world would be a better place.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

The Search for Charlie Chaplin is now available in English from UKA Press. In 200 pages, the author recounts the story of the making of the Unknown Chaplin documentary. A must read. :D
Click here for purchase at amazon.co.uk
Books about the Keaton and the Lloyd documentaries are in preparation.... :P
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

They're both on my Amazon wishlist, thanks for letting us know.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin