Noir Alley

laffite

Re: Noir Alley

Post by laffite »

"As for Scarlet Street: I have yet to find out how that got passed the Code censors. It is one of the key mysteries of the studio \ production-code era." Jazzy James

I thought we had that all figured out. Criss is insane. He has voices in his head. He is paying for the crime.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

It’s gotta be Vautrin, nobody else writes anywhere near that satiric style. I don’t know what satire or irony mean of course, and don’t have the slightest idea what the lyrics of Dylan songs mean, but I can tell a horse by his color, a dog by his bark.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: February 6th, 2023, 9:29 pm It’s gotta be Vautrin, nobody else writes anywhere near that satiric style. I don’t know what satire or irony mean of course, and don’t have the slightest idea what the lyrics of Dylan songs mean, but I can tell a horse by his color, a dog by his bark.
Then you know all one needs to know. The rest is ________ .
Andree

Post by Andree »

laffite wrote: February 6th, 2023, 7:29 pm

Andree,

Yeah, right! Your avatar reminds me of a short story by Dorothy Parker entitled Big Blonde. And the extra e. I wonder if the new persona could have the notoriety of your previous. If you are chided about all this, it is because you are clever and highly respected. At least for me, I will cease along these lines from now on, it's enough to have the pleasure of knowing who I'm talking too, and that kind sir/madam is hopefully to be taken as a compliment.

This will all die down but beware looking skyward, you may see a Chinese Balloon.

To be honest, I am incognito on another forum. So far no one has said anything but the clues are obvious. It's only a matter of time.
It's a photo of a notorious person, though somebody who isn't talked about much today. She's even more notorious than Fassbinder,
who was fairly notorious in his day. But she's had her 15 minutes of fame.

Watch the skies!
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: February 6th, 2023, 7:48 pm

Please note that I said "had to die"". Anyhow it appears there was some misunderstanding: I agree that the Production code would require someone that commits murder to be punished, and that the most common punishment for someone with a clear mental illness is being locked up in a mental institution.

BUT I'm also glad that didn't happen! The best thing about the film is the ending. All that fire and smoke and then "The End" placed on top of that. I wouldn't wish to change a thing.

As for Scarlet Street: I have yet to find out how that got passed the Code censors. It is one of the key mysteries of the studio \ production-code era. Note that Bogie gets away with murder in The Big Sleep when he guns Canino (since Marlowe knew Canino had used all of his bullets and didn't even advise Canino to put-his-hands-up before pulling the trigger). Director Hawks had to lobby hard to keep that scene, mainly using the cruel scene where Canino murders Harry Jones using poison. I.e. Canino was so rotten the censors decided to look the other way.
I suppose even the Code wasn't adhered to 100%, but it came pretty close. Yes, the ending is quite spectacular, but as I've
already posted this is a very visually stylish movie whose plot and characters are rather routine. Taking all that into account,
it's still a better than average production to me. Yeah, Canino was likely one of those he had it coming decisions. He was
such a nasty specimen that wasting him was permitted. And Marlowe is the hero of the movie so that gives him a little leeway
in his use of violence.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Andree wrote: February 6th, 2023, 10:48 pm
laffite wrote: February 6th, 2023, 7:29 pm

Andree,

Yeah, right! Your avatar reminds me of a short story by Dorothy Parker entitled Big Blonde. And the extra e. I wonder if the new persona could have the notoriety of your previous. If you are chided about all this, it is because you are clever and highly respected. At least for me, I will cease along these lines from now on, it's enough to have the pleasure of knowing who I'm talking too, and that kind sir/madam is hopefully to be taken as a compliment.

This will all die down but beware looking skyward, you may see a Chinese Balloon.

To be honest, I am incognito on another forum. So far no one has said anything but the clues are obvious. It's only a matter of time.
It's a photo of a notorious person, though somebody who isn't talked about much today. She's even more notorious than Fassbinder,
who was fairly notorious in his day. But she's had her 15 minutes of fame.

Watch the skies!
The answer is not in the skies. Unless RE went to heaven, but not likely.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now I did want to relate a bit of health advise. Sterling Hayden on one of his Tom Snyder appearances, told all us listeners about the importance of a healthy pancreas. Tom, Sterling said, do you ever feel pain in your pancreas? Well, I’m not sure, Tom said, I do suffer from a lot of gas, it could be my pancreas. Yeah, that’s what’s causing the gas, Tom, Sterling said. What you don’t want is trapped gas. Well, I smoke a lot of cigarettes, Tom said, that helps with trapped gas. Just pay attention to your pancreas, Sterling said to Tom. Your pancreas is right next to your liver.
Andree

Post by Andree »

laffite wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:31 pm
I just tacked that on because it's the last line in the original version of The Thing. The nerdy reporter tells
people to watch the skies. Keep watching the skies. Hey buddy, you watch the sky, I'm going to get something to
eat.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Andree wrote: February 7th, 2023, 12:44 am
laffite wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:31 pm
I just tacked that on because it's the last line in the original version of The Thing. The nerdy reporter tells
people to watch the skies. Keep watching the skies. Hey buddy, you watch the sky, I'm going to get something to
eat.
I thought you were talking about the Chinese Balloon. And Buddy, I don't watch movies like The Thing so I wouldn't know anything about that. Bon Appetit Oh, maybe it was the reporter who said that.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:07 pm
...Yes, the ending [of Hangover Square] is quite spectacular, but as I've already posted this is a very visually stylish
movie whose plot and characters are rather routine.
Yep Vautrin..ahem..I mean Andree, I agree. ;)

In fact, as I watched the final scene unfold the other night, I began thinking this scene especially had the look and feel of a Hitchcock directed film.

(...the camera movement and the lighting in particular)
Andree

Post by Andree »

laffite wrote: February 7th, 2023, 1:09 am

I thought you were talking about the Chinese Balloon. And Buddy, I don't watch movies like The Thing so I wouldn't know anything about that. Bon Appetit Oh, maybe it was the reporter who said that.

The original The Thing is considered a sci-fi classic and righfully so, but to each their own. If you don't like
The Thing you'd hate Alien. :smiley_shades:

Watch the fries!
Last edited by Andree on February 7th, 2023, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: February 7th, 2023, 1:48 am

Yep Vautrin..ahem..I mean Andree, I agree. ;)

In fact, as I watched the final scene unfold the other night, I began thinking this scene especially had the look and feel of a Hitchcock directed film.

(...the camera movement and the lighting in particular)
I didn't think of Hitch at the time. The whole movie has a very atmospheric look to it. Off the top of my head it's a bit like
the frenetic ending to Strangers on a Train where the carousel crashes all over the place (and before that there's
the scrawny little guy who takes five minutes to go maybe fifteen feet to try to turn it off). Oops, I totally forgot about
the fire at the end of Rebecca when Danny goes up in flames. How unfortunate.
Last edited by Andree on February 7th, 2023, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Andree wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:02 am
laffite wrote: February 7th, 2023, 1:09 am

The original The Thing is considered a sci-fi classic and righfully so, but to each their own. If you don't like
The Thing you'd hate Alien. :smiley_shades:

Watch the fries!
Alien is my favorite Science Fiction movie.
Andree

Post by Andree »

laffite wrote: February 7th, 2023, 3:56 pm

Alien is my favorite Science Fiction movie.

Okay. When you said you didn't watch movies like The Thing I took that to mean you didn't like sci-fi/alien movies in general.
And Alien is a lot more graphic than The Thing. During one of those free cable channel weekends I watched the four Alien
movies. The first two are very good, the second two not quite up to snuff, but still entertaining.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

laffite wrote: February 6th, 2023, 8:32 pm "As for Scarlet Street: I have yet to find out how that got passed the Code censors. It is one of the key mysteries of the studio \ production-code era." Jazzy James

I thought we had that all figured out. Criss is insane. He has voices in his head. He is paying for the crime.
According the Production Code, one isn't paying for their crime unless they are punished by the legal system. The Code wasn't a vague standard but a fairly massive set of specific rules.