Pencil Art

Post your Classic Film-related art here!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Danny:

Another great piece of art. Thanks so much for sharing these with us.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

bobhopefan1940 wrote:In honor of you, PK -

8)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow!!!

Sorry I didn't see this until this morning. I wasn't feeling well over the weekend and so didn't get on here much...and with Valentino's birthday yesterday and Gary Cooper's birthday today...well....I was a bit preoccupied.

But that is FABULOUS!!!!!

I mean, really FABULOUS!!!!

Seriously...if you'd be willing to part with it, I'd honest-to-goodness FRAME IT and hang it in my house!!!

What a fabulous portrait!!!!! :D

Wow!!! :shock:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

You know, seriously...I ought to commission you to draw some stuff for me.

Really.

I just moved into a new house in October, and it is WAY bigger than my old house. I have tons of wall space...and I'd love to put up some drawings of my favorite stars....but am really picky because when I have seen drawings in the past, they never look like the person. They only look 'kinda' like the person...which, as you know, really bothers me. I can't stand likenesses that are not really likenesses. To me, they are vaguely disturbing, in an odd sort of way. :lol:

You, on the other hand, do a really good job - three for three.

I have purchased only two drawings in the past because they were good likenesses - both of Valentino.

But WOW, these are good!!!!!

I collect art IRL - mainly Pacific Northwest artists and Russian artists...but wow....this is just spectacular!!!!!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

You really caught something there, Danny, in that Chaplin portrait. You do great work with the eyes!
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

OMG, thanks to Chris, MissG, and PK! You know, it is really this site that has gotten me back into drawing... Perhaps I will get better, and be able to draw faster. The encouragement here has really been phenomenal, and I thank you all for it - helping out a struggling "artist" :lol: I'm having fun, whatever becomes of it! :D But I can't imagine anything I do hanging on someone's wall... :lol: Wow, what a compliment, though! That someone who collects art and would even give mine a second thought!!

I'd hoped you'd find it a likeness, because I know how you love him.
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I think the hardest thing in the world is to capture what's going on in a subject's eyes and you do that very well---so keep it up and you will have what it takes to become a first rate portraitist---have you thought of trying oils?
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

MissGoddess wrote:---have you thought of trying oils?
I've done acrylic! :lol: No, no... I think I may have messed with oils when I was a little girl, but I'm no good with paint. Perhaps it is because I just love the texture pencil gives, I find it very difficult to create anything with paint that would look lifelike.

I guess the whole thought of paint is a bit intimidating, you know? That I could every create anything that could look just like the person... I don't think that could ever happen. I thought you said once that you would like to move on from pencil to paint, have you been experimenting? I admire anyone who can do anything with paint!
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dear Danny,
Beautiful Chaplin drawing. You are good!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Danny---I used to do watercolors but have never yet tackled oils. I won't do so until I have made time for serious study and application because it is an art that requires tremendous energy and concentration. Given that, I may stick to watercolors! :lol:

I also enjoyed working in pastels---those are nice, and since you like pencil drawing you might enjoy them, or charcoals, which is what I actually used for my movie star sketches.
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Thanks so much Christy, for your kind words :D
MissGoddess wrote:I used to do watercolors but have never yet tackled oils. I won't do so until I have made time for serious study and application because it is an art that requires tremendous energy and concentration. Given that, I may stick to watercolors! :lol:
That's how I feel, just insert pencil where you put watercolors ;) So you work with charcoal? I think charcoal art is so stunning, I am certainly not skilled enough to know how to use it. I have seen some work done by others and it has alot more impact than pencil, that's why I like it. Have you seen some of the work done with the black paper and white mediums? I am not good with pastels, either :( But perhaps I will give them another shot, desn't hurt to try.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Charcoal is a lot messier and unforgiving than pencil---you have to be faster and more assured because mistakes can't easily be corrected. I like it though because it requires so little pressure to make even the boldest strokes, and you can get deep blacks and consequently more contrast. However, it's hard to get fine line detailing. I also like to draw with pen and ink, but that I use mostly for fashion drawing. My worst subject is the human figure which is why I want to take a life-drawing class to "brush up".

I have never done black paper drawing---that would be a challenge!
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Sorry I had not seen this thread before but I must say your work is excellent, Danny. You're able to capture reflections in the subject's eyes and they look so lifelike. I admire all of you that can draw people because I've tried a few times and haven't been successful. Animals are my main subject while at the zoo but I have to be in the mood for it. Otherwise, the drawings come out bad. lol Has anyone tried clay sculptures? It's fun to make the clay come to life.
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Hello!

Metsfan, drawing animals is really challenging! But I am better at the animal figure than I am at the human figure. Like MissG, I'm not very good at that at all... Especially the hands are very difficult for me. What kind of clay molds do you make? Do you do pottery or figures?
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

I haven't done pottery since ceramics class in highscool but sometimes I'll do clay figures at home and break them all up again. Molding clay is harder than natural clay, so it gets frustrating sometimes for pinch contruction. It would be nice to have a large slab of clay on a large table to try making a bust or lifesize figure. Wood carving is also something I've wanted to try.

Danny, no matter how much difficulty you have on the human figure, portraits are your strength. I think you could make a living drawing them when you retire.
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Wood carving has to be one of the most soothing past times, and I am horrible at it. Even so, it is a great way to ease your mind. You should really try it, if you are good at clay - I think you would be wonderful at wood. But it can be dangerous... Anytime you have to work artisticly with knives it can be a nightmare!

Thank you, metsfan, perhaps I will dabble here and there when I get a little older. Right now it's just for fun... :wink: Maybe someday it will be more.