Pencil Art

Post your Classic Film-related art here!
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

I thought you'd like it. :D What's your favorite part of the film? I like the part in which he enters the restaurant and goes to a table where the women flirt with him. It was shocking to see one just go up to him and plant a kiss on the mouth. :shock: :lol: He was so debonair in this film and Vivian Leigh did great as his partner.

What other films have you seen of Conrad Veidt? Sorry for asking it's just that I can't get enough of his work. He makes any film better with his talent.

PS-Have you been drawing or painting lately? I know Danny is very busy with her school work so she won't be able to create more wonderful sketches to share with us. I'm looking forward to seeing your work as well as anyone else interested in art.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi! Oh, golly, as for my favorite part, I really have to see it again---I finally found a box set of Viv's films on dvd thru Ebay and hopefully it arrives this weekend. I haven't been able to see Dark Journey since, probably 8 or 9 years now. It's the first of her early films I ever saw and I was never so surprised to recognize the Casablanca Nazi! He was too smooth for words in this movie and I really, really wanted him to be a good boy and they end up "happily ever after". As soon as I've watched it again I'll post about it, you can bet.

As for other Veidt films, I'm poorly behind in them---so your recommendations are very welcome, especially those in which he plays the good guy.
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

"The Man Who Laughs" and "Contraband" are the only two films that come to mind if you want to see him as a good guy. If you're interested in seeing the first one, it's available on youtube. Let me know your thoughts if you check it out.

"The Man Who Laughs" (11 parts)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I think I saw The Man Who Laughs a very long time ago, but I need to see it again, thanks for the reminder.

And conicidentally, I just saw him in a very colorful role as King Louis in John Barrymore's The Beloved Rogue, about the life of Francois Villon. Veidt was an interesting foil for Barrymore. I noticed, too, that TCM has a tribute to Veidt airing as part of its "What a Character!" series.
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

"The Beloved Rogue" is such an entertaining film and Conrad's character gives it a touch of insanity to go along with the comedy. King Louis XI reminded me a bit of Ivan the Terrible in "Waxworks".

Going back to John Barrymore, have you seen "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"?

Thanks for telling me about the Conrad Veidt tribute! I had no idea. That day I'll be the happiest girl in the world. The only bad part is that they'll show "Casablanca" instead of "The Nazi Agent" or "The Men in Her Life" which never get played. I've been waiting for "Whistling In The Dark". :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Barrymore's version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde should be arriving shortly from Netflix and I am really anticipating it. I think Tracy's is the version to beat, so it will be interesting to see what JB brings to the role(s).

That "What a Character!" tribute showed lots of clips and still of Veidt, and it sounds like James Cromwell is the narrator. "The Man Who Laughs" was prominently featured.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

As someone else said, "How come I missed this thread for so long?" Very nice drawings! Truly awe-inspiring.
I haven't really done any drawing since college--I like to use polymer clay and make fantasy figures. Never thought of trying to sculpt one of my idols...Hmm. I think you all may have inspired me! LOL
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Tracey:

That means when you are done a picture of your work should appear here.

Metsfan:

Tonight TCM did a "What A Character" piece on Conrad Veidt. He was such a generous man. Just wanted to give you a heads-up.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

I haven't come here in a long time and I'm so upset for missing that! It has to be the same feature shown last year that I wasn't able to record. From now on I'll definitely be more attentive to the times in between each film to see if I can catch it. Thanks a ton for the heads up!

Tracy, it would be really nice to see some of your figures here. I personally haven't done anything with clay in a long time but I know it's enjoyable.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Bobhopefan1940, I've been looking through these pages, and I think you have a great talent and a lovely, individual style. It's the best I have seen in a long time. You even have an aptitude for cartoon charicatures. I envy you. Keep it up, please!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Synnove:

BHF1940 hasn't been on in some time but I get to "talk" to her fairly often and I'll make sure to pass on your compliment.

She is indeed a very gifted young lady.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:Synnove:

BHF1940 hasn't been on in some time but I get to "talk" to her fairly often and I'll make sure to pass on your compliment.

She is indeed a very gifted young lady.
Chris, please tell her "hi" from me next time you hear from her. I miss her posts a lot and I hope she's doing well.

Many thanks,

April
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Thank you, movieman1957. Please do.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Wow, Bobhopefan, I love your Charlie and Buster. What a talent you have :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
bettyjoan

William Powell and Robert Montgomery art

Post by bettyjoan »

Very nice work. I think graphite work has so much more poignance than other mediums. Sort of like the difference between black and white and technicolor.

You are very talented. I particularly like the way you captured Mr. Montgomery's elegant persona.

Keep at it!
:)
Bettyjoan