Pencil Art

Post your Classic Film-related art here!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Danny:

You continue to amaze. How long for this one? The thing I find so interesting in your work (in addition to magnitude of your gift) is your attention to detail. All the strokes that make up the hair. Your attention to shadows and lines of the face.

It's just wonderful. You have every reason to be proud of your art. Keep 'em coming. We love them.

He looks like he's remembering Carole.
Last edited by movieman1957 on May 24th, 2007, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm very impressed---you've managed to capture what few ever mention when they list his "qualities"---a certain wistfulness. Gable, wistful? Yes. He always seemed to have an ever so slight trace of hurt or sadness in his eyes and you illustrated it delilcately. I'm definitely keeping this one!!

If you ever do one of Gary Cooper I know several people (you do too) who will fall over fainting. :wink:
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Thanks to the both of you, as always. How long did it take me? Too long... :lol: I think it was a little less than 15 hours (but very nerve racking). Thanks, Chris, for the compliment on the hair. I believe that was one the hardest parts of the whole portrait, I wanted to give the pic justice.

My grandmother has connections somehow with the person who took the image, and she is very happy with it. :D :D :D And that's what I was trying to accomplish... A happy grandmother! Thanks again guys!!
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
inglis

Post by inglis »

Hi Bob !
Chris told me about this thread and said I have to come here and check out your pencil drawings .Just beautiful.I am very much moved by your art . You should have an exibit and display them . What other drawings do you do .I would very much like to see more and hey someday do one of The Duke LOL good for you. Carol
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Hello Carol! Thank you so much, I'm glad you are here. Chris is so nice :wink: Just portraits, I rarely do anything else I'm afraid. I used to draw animals and caracatures, but not so much now.
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

More amazing pieces of work Danny! I'm speechless with your capability for highlighting and shading. I would have gotten an ulcer already with all the small details on the clothes in that baby picture. Maybe I'll get back into drawing and try out some portraits. Thanks for the inspiration!
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

metsfan wrote: Maybe I'll get back into drawing and try out some portraits. Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks, and that's awesome! :D I hope you will share anything you do in this thread, that would be really neat. :wink:
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Wow, Danny. Vair, vair nice work. More pretty please? With a bunch of ballons tied on?

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Hi Tracey! I haven't been on much, my computer died and so forth... And I haven't been doing much art as of late. But, here's a portrait of Fred Astaire, and also a quick sketch of Lon Chaney as "Tito" in Laugh, Clown, Laugh. I just discovered Chaney :D *entranced*

I still encourage anyone who would like to post any sort of pencil art, as you can see by the Chaney portrait: it doesn't have to be anything big, just a rushed sketch.

Danny
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Danny:

You continue to amaze me/us with the depth of your talent. For a "quick sketch" on Chaney it is quite detailed. (Maybe I shouldn't be amazed as you have proven over and over again you have a gift.)

I hope you'll continue to share your work and drop a few comments now and then.

Thanks again.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

More excellent work in the Chaney portrait! Boy, if you ever get around to Gary Cooper I may just faint over the result! :P
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

:D Thanks to you two, you're the best. So nice to hear from you Chris, seems like forever since we last spoken!

I'm not very good at hands, but I tried to capture Chaney's. Usually I don't attempt them, but Lon Chaney's hands are so beautiful!

Thanks so much, as always -
Rainee

Danny, you're a genius!

Post by Rainee »

I have just finished looking at every post, start to end, and you have a gift. Every time a new portrait appeared I was awe-struck and couldn't wait for the next one. I don't do people because I can't do eyes, I stick with flowers (think Georgia O'Keefe) and sea scapes. I can hide my mistakes in them. But eyes really are the windows of the soul.

I always wanted to paint Jane Darwell as Ma Joad. Her eyes are so expressive and have so many emotions in them. Also Ronald Colman as Sydney Carton, he never looked better and his eyes conveyed so much.

Thank you Danny for a lovely morning. I enjoyed it.
Reiko

Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Hmmm... Wow, thank you so much for that post. You are too kind, and it is very gratifying to know you enjoyed the portraits that much.

I still have not grasped the eyes, but they are really hard to do. I can't say it any better than you: eyes are the window to the soul.

I looked up the two you mentioned. Very fascinating, and I see what you mean about the espression in the eyes. I have not seen much of either of them, but especially Ronald Colman peeked my interest.

I wish I could see some of your work... Two of my favorite subjects (that I couldn't possibly even attempt to do!), sea scapes and flowers. It is so difficult to master the flowers. The detail in the petals is what always held me back. And I love the ocean, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

So thanks again, I appreciate your words so much! And welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it here - Alot of nice people that love to talk about film :D

Danny
feaito

Post by feaito »

Danny,

Words are not enough to describe your immense talent. I've just gone through all of your creations and I am really in awe. Sincere congratulations.

Fernando