Paintings

Post your Classic Film-related art here!
Synnove

Paintings

Post by Synnove »

Do you paint? If you do, are you inspired by the unforgettable faces of film stars?

I'm more intrigued by film stills. This is one that Alison, Brenda and Christine will know:

I'm too impatient to be bothered with details as you see, so I don't paint much. But I would be curious to see what others here have done if you paint! For myself I would welcome constructive criticism very much.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hedvig, I had no idea you were so talented. It's a brilliant painting.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

That's very good. Thanks for sharing it.

If you look down a couple of threads in this forum you'll see a geading for "Pencil Art." There you will find some work others have done.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Excellent Hedvig! Your rendition captures the spiritual sense of that scene from The Phantom Carriage quite well! A very heartfelt and intelligent interpretation! :D You definately should continue with your art! I was interested in drawing when I was young, but never kept it up.

Here's a youtube clip of part of the same scene, though a bit dark.

"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Is that the new version? Matti Bye's soundtrack is so much better. :)

:D Thank you!

movieman, I am browsing through that thread right now. It's impressive...
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hedvig, You are a gifted artist; I'm impressed.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Thank you Fernando. :)
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Wow, your work is amazing! I really hope you continue painting the images that inspire you. Thanks for showing us this haunting piece from the film.

Silentscreen, thanks for posting a clip. I've never seen it before and now I'm interested.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

The Phantom Carriage is an amazing movie! Early Swedish cinema was way ahead of American cinema of the same time artistically.

Hedvig, I'm not sure if it's the new version or not.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Thanks to Hedvig I got to see The Phantom Carriage it's extremely moving and haunting. The ending....well it stayed with me for days. I watched it twice in quick succession.

If you only choose to watch a handful of silents to get a feel for them, this is one you must see.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Thank you metsfan, that's a very nice thing to say!

The Phantom Carriage is one of my favourite movies. It is something that is difficult for me to explain, but it works so well for me.

My dad didn't like it so much, he thought it was good, in a similar style to Dickens, but that he wasn't in the mood for a message film just then... I thought, honestly, he didn't get it at all. I hate moralizing as much as the next woman, but tPC is much more than that.

It is in a similar style to Dickens, and yet, it's a bit different. It has it's own unique style. It's like The Christmas Carrol only with less Christmas and more Death, I suppose.

Anyway, it's the film I would take with me on a desert island, provided I also had a working DVD player.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

You're supposed to hear this music now:

I love that film!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I had not posted before, but, Hedvig, I really love your paintings! :D
You're very talented.
charliechaplinfan

Hedvig, I didn't need to follow the link for the music. You've captured Harry Lime's expression perfectly.

I love that movie too :D
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

It's the best. :)

Thanks!