Rudolph Valentino Desktops

Post your Classic Film-related art here!
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Rudolph Valentino Desktops

Post by pktrekgirl »

Well, today is Valentino's 112th birthday. And, while I was planning to make a new desktop for him, I ended up spending the past few days in a fair amount of pain from some dental work I had done, and never got around to it.

But I wanted to do something to celebrate his birthday, so I'm posting the desktops I have already made for him here today. If anyone would like any of these, they are welcome to request and I'll send you the full sized copy.

In the meantime, I have some photos selected, and hope to have another Valentino desktop made soon.

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

RE:

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

These are beautiful! I can't believe it's been 112!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

8) You know how I feel about the first one, and the other two are just awesome! Sheesh, sorry about your dental pain... I hope you feel better. :(
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Pktrekgirl, you've captured the mysticism of Valentino in those desktops. Thanks for sharing them!
knitwit45

Rudy

Post by knitwit45 »

Beda, I just caught up on some films I had recorded over the weekend, and saw "Delicious Little Devil" and The Young Rajah. I am now a bona-fide Rudy fan. I have yet to see the Sheik movies, and I have a feeling I'll have to have oxygen once I do....

Your artwork is amazing!

A new fan (of BEDA'S)

Nancy
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Oh my! A new Valentino fan. I love them! :D

And yeah, if you liked THE DELICIOUS LITTLE DEVIL and THE YOUNG RAJAH...and those are the only Valentino films you've seen (or close to the only ones you've seen) then you are in for a HUGE treat, because neither of those are among his best work. In fact, The DELICIOUS LITTLE DEVIL was made before Valentino was a star, and it isn't even 'his' movie.

Valentino is not just a movie star - he is an addiction. I can't even explain it, but there is just SOMETHING about THAT MAN! It's an animal magnetism that you just can't get out of your system, once you fall in love with Valentino.

I have all of his films that are still in existence...but for newer fans, I would recommend these films:

THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (1921) - the film that made him a star. It's an excellent film in it's own right...but about 12 minutes in is the tango scene that completely changed the course of his career and indeed, his life. You simply can't watch this scene without seeing what I'm talking about with that animal magnetism.

THE SHEIK (1921) - This one is a total fangirl bring-your-own-cold-shower flick during which you decide that Valentino dragging you off to his tent doesn't seem like a bad idea in the slightest.

THE EAGLE (1925) - Valentino plays the Russian Robin Hood. Only alot sexier.

THE SON OF THE SHEIK (1926) - Valentino's last film, and just as fangirlishly delicious as THE SHEIK.

CAMILLE (1921) - same story as the Garbo/Robert Taylor talkie...but I actually prefer the Valentino/Nazimova silent version. Bonus points for very cool deco sets.

THE CONQUERING POWER (1921) - Soooo romantic....

COBRA (1925) - Poor Rudy can't do the right thing by women no matter how hard he tries. Nita Naldi seduces him against his will. *teehee*

Let me know what you think of some of his other films! I'm always up for discussing Rudy!
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Those are lovely! I like the green one on the bottom the best.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
knitwit45

thanks!

Post by knitwit45 »

Just printed off your list of must sees....thanks. Now I need to figure out where to find them (I'm a complete newbie when it comes to silent movies.)
I have Woman of Affairs permanently saved on my DVR, and just watched The Kiss. I may be the last one to arrive at the Silent Movies Fan Club party, but boy, howdee! What a great new world to explore.

And I was just looking at your avatar again (sigh)...Is Ronnie in his JAMMIES?????? WOOOOHOOOOO

As Sugarpuss said elsewhere....'I am such a girl".....
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Well, you can see some of them on TCM occasionally. Of the ones on that list, the one you are most likely to see on TCM is THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE. But since they just had a 'Valentino night'...and they had another Valentino night for his birthday back in May, I doubt you'll see it any time soon. It is also on commercial release as part of a disk that features a Valentino documentary. Sort of odd that the documentary is what is sold and the film is a special feature on the documentary disk, but there it is.

You can get THE SHEIK/SON OF THE SHEIK on a commercially released DVD that has both films on it, plus some extras that are tons of fun. If I was a Valentino beginner and wanted to buy only one DVD to familiarize myself with his work, I'd get this one, because you get two of his major films, plus the bonus material.

THE EAGLE is also on commercial release, as is COBRA. Both worthwhile purchases as well.

CAMILLE is on commercial release as well, but not as it's own stand-alone. It is actually a special feature on the disk of Garbo's version of CAMILLE. Don't know if you have the Garbo boxed set...but CAMILLE is in that. Not sure if that disk is sold individually....but look for the Garbo version of CAMILLE (a talkie) and the Valentino version will be on there.

THE CONQUERING POWER is not on commercial release - you'll have to wait for that on TCM or get it in a trade or whatever.

There are other Valentino films that come on TCM once in a while, and others that are on commercial release as well. Here is a quick rundown -

*BLOOD AND SAND is on commercial release and is a major film. It is not my personal favorite...but alot of people really like it.

I've never seen it on TCM.

* BEYOND THE ROCKS/THE DELICIOUS LITTLE DEVIL is on commercial release. BEYOND THE ROCKS is important because a) it is his only film with Gloria Swanson and b) it was thought lost until only a few years ago, when a print turned up in the Netherlands (not in the best shape...but we have it!). It is not considered one of his best films...but it has been a huge deal in the Valentino community over the past couple of years, because of the fact that it was thought lost.

Both of these occasionally come on TCM.

* THE YOUNG RAJAH/MORAN OF THE LADY LETTY/STOLEN MOMENTS/A SOCIETY SENSATION - these just came out a couple of weeks ago in a very nice set with alot of extras. It's a great set, but is primarily aimed at people who are already huge Valentino fans, because none of these films are among his most important. In fact, STOLEN MOMENTS and A SOCIETY SENSATION aren't even really 'his' movies - they are early roles.

MORAN OF THE LADY LETTY and STOLEN MOMENTS are the two Valentino films TCM showed back in May for his birthday, I think. Might be wrong on that, but I know they have both been aired fairly recently.

*THE MARRIED VIRGIN is on commercial release. This was a film that was 'repackaged' after Valentino became a star to make it into more 'his' film...but it was originally not so when it was first released in 1918.

*ALL NIGHT - you can get from Grapevine Video. It's an early Valentino film from 1918 (before he was a star) but he has a surprisingly large part in it.

*MONSIEUR BEAUCLAIRE (1924) is not on commercial release, but is floating around the collecting community and fairly easy to find. Valentino stars in this film

*EYES OF YOUTH (1919) is also floating around the collecting community, though not quite as easy to come by. Made before Valentino was a star.

*THE WONDERFUL CHANCE (1920) is not on commercial release, and is a rare film, even in the collecting community. By far the hardest Valentino film to come by, of the ones that remain.

* AN ADVENTURESS (1920) still exists, but the only known copy is at the George Eastman House in New York. Valentino is said to have a fairly small part.

And that's it, I'm afraid. The rest of his films are, for the moment, considered lost...although we never give up hope that more will be found.

I might have a spare copy of a couple of the ones that have played on TCM lying around that I could send you. I usually edit all the TCM stuff off and make menus and the like, which I don't have time to do right now because I have a few trades going...but if you are willing to take just the 'raw film' with all the TCM ads and such attached, I can probably find a couple of these lying around that I can send real quick. Let me know about this.

As for being a newbie to silents - I know how you feel. I actually only started watching silents maybe 2 years ago. I love them, and yeah, it is a huge world to explore. The main thing is to not get intimidated by the hard-core silents fans on-line. Some of these folks know every score that was ever associated with a film, know the existing films of tons of actors, and have seen thousands of silents featuring actors you've never even heard of! They are a wellspring of info...but I think some of them forget sometimes what it's like to be a beginner and will give you almost TOO MUCH information! :lol: But just take it slow and begin watching some of the films alot of people put on their 'top 10' lists...and you will begin to get a basic familiarity in no time! :)

Valentino was a major star during the silent era (or was until his death, anyway), so he is good to be familiar with. But you might want to look out for films by the 'big three' silent comics (Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton & Harold Lloyd), as well as such stars as Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, Sr, Gloria Swanson, Greta Garbo (my favorite Garbo films are her silents), John Gilbert, Lon Cheney, Clara Bow, Louise Brooks, Lillian Gish, Ramon Novarro, & Richard Barthelmess (to name only a few). There are a host of other silent film stars...but those are some of the major ones who you have probably heard of and whose work is *very* easy to come by - either on TCM or on commercially released DVDs. Also, if you like Ronald Colman, he made some silents that are still around as well! Although you have to look around a bit because only two of them (to my knowledge) are released commercially - LADY WINDERMERE'S FAN and THE WINNING OF BARBARA WORTH. Other 'talkie' stars, such as Gary Cooper, William Powell, and Mary Astor got their starts in the silent era as well!
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Those are beautifully done desktop art. Granted you had a good inspiration, seriously, you've done a beautiful job. <snaps>