Upcoming Criterion Releases

News and Upcoming Releases
Mr. Arkadin

Upcoming Criterion Releases

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Criterion is set to release some great films:

Sawdust and Tinsel (1953) Released a full year before La Strada, S&T has many similar themes. It takes place in a traveling circus and explores loneliness, love, and betrayal. This great film has been out of print for years!

Days of Heaven (1978) While Terrnce Malick's best loved film has been around, a restoration of one of the most beautiful looking pictures is definitely welcomed here.

Under the Volcano (1984) Great John Huston film. Albert Finney was nominated for an Oscar for this and should have won.

Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) An amazing acheivement in cinema and truly one of Fassbinder's greatest films. Over 15 hours of film dedicated to the life of an ex-con as he struggles for redempton.

Drunken Angel (1948) Kurasawa's early works mirror American Noir (Stray Dog, High and Low). DA is in that mold dealing with a criminal and his unorthodox relationship with a well known doctor.

Check some of these out when you get the chance.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Upcoming Criterion Releases

Post by movieman1957 »

I found through a television critic's website that a box set of "The Golden Age of Television." Live TV broadcasts of plays that include "Marty," Rod Serling's "Patterns," "Requiem For A Heavyweight," "The Days of Wine and Roses," "No Time For Sergeants" and Paul Newman in "Bang The Drum Slowly." They reference a really good price but don't list it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Criterion released a similar-sounding box set back in November 2009, $40:
http://www.criterion.com/films/3560-the ... television

Amazon lists it for $37:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Golden-Televi ... B002M36R1O

It does look good, especially with the commentaries and other extras.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Well it sure likes the same one I saw at "TV Worth Watching." (The site is by David Bianculli.) I read it and I guess since it was recommended for your library I got the idea it was wrong. (That's two mistakes I've discovered today and I haven't even had lunch.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I hope lunch is not number three!

I've seen three or four of these wonderful shows. The PBS station in Chicago used to run them. They're fascinating to watch.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Criterion has never disappointed me. I have dozens of their releases and get the regular notices as well as frequently visiting their web site to see what's new and what's coming.

That said, I visited today and learned that they're releasing a new update of "Four Hundred Blows," but as far as I can tell from their description, except for the fact that the new one is a 2-disc set (both DVD and Blue-Ray), it doesn't look like they've added any new bonuses to the Blue-Ray version. If they have, they certainly should say so!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

It's Christmas in August!

Yesterday, I pre-ordered Criterion's upcoming (finally!) release of Cassavetes' LOVE STREAMS.

And Siegel's RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11 while I was at it.

Thereby replacing the so-so copies I have.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

In time for Halloween, Criterion will be releasing a Tod Browning collection. Makes me think that WAC will release The Devil-Doll or The Unholy Three in October.

Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

umop apisdn wrote: July 17th, 2023, 6:08 pm In time for Halloween, Criterion will be releasing a Tod Browning collection. Makes me think that WAC will release The Devil-Doll or The Unholy Three in October.

I will be waiting to see what extras they will have on these. I own the Freaks DVD which includes an excellent documentary with tons of information on every one of the "freaks". It is even longer than the actual film! So I wonder if they will just include that on the Criterion or have a brand new one made.
The Unknown is one of my favorite Lon Chaney films, I am also interested if they have good extras.
I never saw The Mystic