The Warner Archive

News and Upcoming Releases
Erika1712

Re: The Warner Archive

Post by Erika1712 »

My wish list grows longer and longer!!!!!! I still haven't purchased Summer Holiday.
Charlie Chap

Post by Charlie Chap »

Summer Holiday is on my long list too. Hope to get it soon!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Just in time for the holiday season:

MADAM SATAN (1930) (remastered, too!)

Other new releases:

You're Cheatin' Heart (1964)(remastered)
Bachelor Mother (1939)
Susan Slept Here (1954)
Boy's Night Out (1962)(remastered)
Bundle of Joy (1956)(remastered)
Plymouth Adventure (1952)

http://www.wbshop.com/New-Releases/ARCH ... lt,sc.html
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Today's (11/16) releases include:

Green Light (1937)
Never Say Goodbye (1946)
That Forsyte Woman (1949)
The Man With a Cloak (1951)
The Phantom Tollbooth (1969)
The Secret Bride (1935)
The Woman in Red (1935)
B.F.'s Daughter (1948)
The Human Comedy (1943)
The Outfit (1973)
Footsteps in the Dark (1941)
Hotel (1967)
Cry Wolf (1947)
Louise Rainer Collection: includes: The Emperor's Candlesticks (1937)/The Toy Wife (1938)/Big City (1937)
The Stanwyck and Flynn films are also available as sets.

http://www.wbshop.com/New-Releases/ARCH ... lt,sc.html
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

This week's new releases:

BODYGUARD (1948) Lawrence Tierney stars as disgraced police detective Mike Carter, who takes a job guarding the owner of a meat-packing plant. Investigating the threats on her life, Mike soon finds himself framed for murder. A taut noir directed by Richard Fleischer, based on a story by Robert Altman.

CHICAGO CALLING (1952) Dan Duryea stars as a desperate husband and father in post-war Los Angeles who receives news that his wife and child have been in a car accident in Chicago. Suddenly, the phone company arrives to re-possess his destitute character's phone. A heart-rending blue-collar noir-ish tale of a small man's struggle against cruel fate.

THE HOUR OF 13 (1952) Peter Lawford stars as a charming jewel thief who crosses swords with a vicious serial killer in Victorian London. When the killer, "The Terror," strikes at the same locale where the jewel thief has stolen a rare emerald, the thief must bring The Terror to justice in order to clear his "good" name. Dawn Addams co-stars.

TWENTY PLUS TWO (1961) 16x9 Widescreen - David Janssen stars as private detective Tom Adler in this nearly noir thriller. After a Hollywood secretary is found murdered, Tom Adler is called in to investigate. He then uncovers a warped web that involves a missing heiress, a movie star, and someone from his own past. Janssen finds strong support from a superlative cast.

OPERATION C.I.A (1965) 16x9 Widescreen - In his first leading role, Burt Reynolds stars as a C.I.A field agent dispatched to Saigon in order to uncover a conspiracy directed against the life of the U.S. Ambassador to South Vietnam.

Remastered titles:
HOME BEFORE DARK (1958) 16x9 Widescreen - Jean Simmons stars as a newly released mental patient who goes home to confront the demons that drove her to the insane asylum. Efram Zimbalist,Jr. co-stars as a kind stranger who may just be the lifeline Simmons' character needs in this engrossing psychodrama directed by Mervyn LeRoy.

LIBEL (1959) 16x9 Widescreen - Anthony Asquith directs this smooth courtroom mystery in which Dirk Bogarde plays a man accused of an extreme case of identity theft. Prodded by his wife (played by Olivia de Havilland) to clear his name in court, he discovers he may not be who he thinks he is. Robert Morley also stars.

THE NIGHT DIGGER (1971) 16x9 Widescreen - Patricia Neal stars in this modern twist on the Gothic romance complete with crumbling mansions, desperate spinsters, and a mysterious young stranger. This macabre thriller's twists deliver a potent jolt. Scripted by Roald Dahl, and with a score by Bernard Herrmann.

I've ordered Twenty Plus Two for myself. Guess why. :wink:
klondike

Post by klondike »

Land o' Goshen, PT, every single one of those sounds really good, especially Bodyguard - I'm a rabid Lawrence Tierney fan! :shock:
Stand by, Netflix !! :idea:
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

In honor of Ronald Reagan's 100th birthday, the Warner Archive is making one of his films available to watch online for free within the USA, Secret Service of the Air. I don't know how good a picture this is, but it's available free today and tomorrow only.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Cowpokes and Film Noir Aficionados rejoice! The Warner Archive has announced some new films on DVD-r:

Stars in My Crown is coming to DVD-r. Another Joel McCrea movies being issued is The Outriders (1950) with Claude Jarman, Jr. and James Whitmore.

Two Robert Taylor Westerns:

Ambush (1950): Sam Wood's last film and Ride, Vaquero (1953) which is interesting thanks to the relationship between Taylor and Anthony Quinn's characters.

Tim Holt Western Classics Vol. 1 DVD set:

Between 1938 and 1952 famed A-list supporting player Tim Holt took the reins as leading player in more than 40 rip-snorting oaters at RKO, reigning as a king of the Western Bs. Get ready to slap leather alongside Holt as this wagon train sized collection brings 10 of them to you from the early years of Holt's long ride.

RENEGADE RANGER 1938 - Western star George O'Brien passes the torch to Tim Holt, also featuring Rita Hayworth.

LAW WEST OF TOMBSTONE 1938 - Tim Holt backs up Harry Carey,playing a con man become law man, in this unconventional Western.

ALONG THE RIO GRANDE 1941 - In order to avenge their boss, three cowhands pose as bank robbers. With Ray Whitley.

BANDIT TRAIL 1941 - A bank robber poses as a Town Marshal, only to find the law growing on him. With Roy Barcroft.

ROBBERS OF THE RANGE 1941 - Framed for murder, a rancher assumes a dead man's identity in his quest for justice. With Virginia Vale.

DUDE COWBOY 1941 - A federal agent investigates a counterfeiting ring at a dude ranch. With Marjorie Reynolds.

COME ON DANGER 1942 - Holt takes the lead in this new take on the Renegade Ranger tale. With Ray Whitley.

BANDIT RANGER 1942 - A young rancher is framed for the murder of a ranger. With Cliff Edwards.

PIRATES OF THE PRAIRIE 1942 - A Deputy U.S. Marshall investigates two towns ruled by vigilantes. With Nell O'Day.

FIGHTING FRONTIER 1943 - Special Investigator Kit Russell discovers that a gang of robbers has a secret master. With Ann Summers.

NOIRS FROM THE SUNSET YEARS OF RKO

DESTINATION MURDER (1950) In order to get at the man who ordered her father's death, Laura Mansfield (Joyce Mackenzie) starts dating the triggerman (Stanley Clements) and follows him into an underground world of love, betrayal, and murder. With Albert Dekker. View Preview Clip

EXPERIMENT ALCATRAZ (1950) A doctor uses inmates at America's most notorious prison as human lab rats to test his theory that atomic radiation my be used to cure blood diseases. But there's a bigger, human rat lurking in the wings. Directed by Eddie Cahn.

THE TATTOOED STRANGER (1950) Shot documentary style, this police procedural begins with the discovery of a disfigured corpse in an abandoned car. Using forensics the police unravel the identities of corpse and killer, starting with a tattoo. Shot on location in NYC, this film offers a glimpse at post-war New York at its seediest.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

NOIRS FROM THE SUNSET YEARS OF RKO

DESTINATION MURDER (1950) In order to get at the man who ordered her father's death, Laura Mansfield (Joyce Mackenzie) starts dating the triggerman (Stanley Clements) and follows him into an underground world of love, betrayal, and murder. With Albert Dekker. View Preview Clip

EXPERIMENT ALCATRAZ (1950) A doctor uses inmates at America's most notorious prison as human lab rats to test his theory that atomic radiation my be used to cure blood diseases. But there's a bigger, human rat lurking in the wings. Directed by Eddie Cahn.

Moira, this is exceptionally exciting news for fans of obscure B noir; both are excellent examples of "poverty row" filmmaking at its most interesting. Both have screened previously on TCM so if the price-tag on these seems a bit high, it's always a possiblility that they'll be reprised for home recordists.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I thought that you'd be happy about Experiment Alcatraz and Destination Murder, Elliot. I have seen some Warner Archive DVDs showing up very reasonably priced after the initial issue on Amazon and ebay and other auction sites. I think the prices may come down eventually.

It's good to see you posting again. How is the world treating you? Any programs coming up soon at the Roxie?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Moira asked:
Any programs coming up soon at the Roxie?

Funny you should ask, Moira. This coming Friday I'm opening (for one big week!) the 1999 film
THE WOMAN CHASER. This was a film that was criminally ignored when it first came out (for
several interesting reasons). I played it last summer at the Roxie as part of my NOT NECESSARILY
NOIR
series and it proved to be a huge crowd pleaser. So much so that we had little choice but
to bring it back for a full one-week run. The star, Patrick Warburton (TV freaks will know him
best as "Puddy", Elaine's put-upon boy-friend on SEINFELD) and the director, Rob Devor will both
be on hand for opening night festivities Friday night. Should be big fun!
Here's a clip from THE WOMAN CHASER
[youtube][/youtube]
And...I'll be doing another two-week NOIR blow-out in May with many incredibly rare and
fantastic films!!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, Elliot! I love Patrick Warburton--or should I say The Tick or Buzz Lightyear? He can be very funny and self-parodying of the male of the species as well as a menacing and engaging actor. I think I first noticed him on Quantum Leap. He has a great voice and presence that is almost old-fashioned (sort of a great, mischievous cross between Richard Dix, Rock Hudson and Robert Forster!) .

Based on that scene, it looks like a great adaptation of one of Charles Willeford's memorably seedy novels. I wish it were available on DVD. Please post a list of your upcoming programmes in the Film Noir section when you have a chance, won't you?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Moira, here's a terrific interview Patrick Walburton did for this morning's SF Bay Guardian expressly for this engagement.
Having him (as well as director Rob Devor) in person Friday night should make this opening really something special!!
http://www.sfbg.com/pixel_vision/2011/0 ... -dragonard
klondike

Post by klondike »

Dewey1960 wrote: Having him (as well as director Rob Devor) in person Friday night should make this opening really something special!!
Yup, bet it will be, and it probably wouldn't hurt for you caballeros to hit an owl-wagon afterward for a cup o' joe & some really good pie! 8)
Seriously, EL, I envy you now even more than I used to, 'cause, truthfully, I am one HUGE Warburtonophile!
I suppose, in that all you cats there in Babylon are so radically chill-post-modern, there'll be nothin' so tres-gauche as an autographed headshot driftin' around . . .
:roll:
Better yet, were somebody to film the celebrity guests . . but naww, nobody gets that outlaw north o' Big Sur, anymore . . :|
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Klondike gushed:
there'll be nothin' so tres-gauche as an autographed headshot driftin' around . . .

Maybe. But if you hang around enough, acting like an out-of-towner who's actually interested, you can get an EL autograph on a greasy cup of popcorn.

I'll treasure it forever!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles