Warner's Film Noir Classic Collection

News and Upcoming Releases
pvitari

Warner's Film Noir Classic Collection

Post by pvitari »

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! Warner Home Video is finally releasing some older movies on real, pressed, DVDs, not MOD DVD-Rs. There are some real goodies in this upcoming set, too.

Noir and Forever!

The Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 5

Four Must Own Double Feature Classics

· Cornered / Desperate
· The Phenix City Story / Dial 1119
· Armored Car Robbery / Crime in the Streets
· Deadline at Dawn / Backfire

All Eight Timeless Suspense Thrillers
Digitally Remastered For Their July 13 DVD Debuts

BURBANK, Calif., April 5, 2010 – Warner Home Video (WHV) doubles the stakes in The Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 5, debuting July 13, with legendary Hollywood tough guys and femme fatales once again colliding, this time in eight smoldering suspense classics, all new to DVD. Titles include Cornered/Desperate, The Phenix City Story/Dial 1119, Armored Car Robbery/Crime in the Streets, and Deadline at Dawn/Backfire.

The new movies, which have all been digitally remastered for this collection, include stunning performances by John Cassavetes, Dick Powell, Steve Brodie, Charles McGraw, Susan Hayward, Virginia Mayo, and Raymond Burr, among others. An unbelievable entertainment value, the four-disc collection will be available for $49.92 SRP. Orders are due June 8.

Warner Home Video released its first Film Noir Collection in 2004, re-awakening America’s fascination with the unique genre and garnering acclaim from critics nationwide. This led to a revival of film noir throughout the entire home entertainment industry as well as three more successful volumes from Warner Home Video in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

About The Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 5

Cornered (1945):
From England to continental Europe to Buenos Aires, ex-RCAF pilot Dick Powell stalks the Nazi collaborator who murdered his bride. But one fact constantly surfaces during his quest: no one can describe the mysterious man. Joining Powell in the film shadows are the director and other key talent behind Murder, My Sweet of the year before.

Special Features:
Cornered trailer.

Runtime: 102 minutes
Rating: NR
Film Specs: B&W 4x3 1.37 standard aspect ratio
Language: English Mono
Subtitles: English

Desperate (1947):
Desperate is the first of seven atmospheric noirs directed by Anthony Mann. Steve Brodie is a postwar every man who accepts what he thinks is an honest trucking job, only to find he’s the driver in a botched heist that puts Brodie and his bride (Audrey Long) on the run from the cops and the cons who planned the job (including chief thug Raymond Burr).

Runtime: 73 minutes

The Phenix City Story (1955):
Corruption, brutality and vice plagued Phenix City, Alabama, for 100 years, so who would dare to change it? Based on real-life events and filmed on location in what was called Sin City USA, director Phil Karlson’s semi-documentary tells the jolting tale of those who risked their lives to bring the burg’s syndicate of thugs and murderers to justice.

RT: 100 minutes
Film Specs: B&W 16x9 Widescreen 1.77

Dial 1119 (1950):
An asylum inmate escapes to the city, where he takes hostages at a local dive, guns down a bar employee and warns authorities his captives will be next if the doctor whose testimony first put him away doesn’t arrive within the hour. A bit of casting irony goes with the movie’s then-novel use of TV news coverage: actors Marshall Thompson, William Conrad, Keefe Brasselle and Leon Ames would have significant career ventures in television.

Special Features:
Includes Dial 1119 theatrical trailer.

RT: 75 minutes

Armored Car Robbery (1950):
Richard Fleischer directs this brute-force milestone about a deadly heist and the battle of wits and firepower between a fugitive gangster (William Talman) and his stripper moll (Adele Jergens) and a bulldog cop (Charles McGraw), out to avenge his partner’s death, who uses hidden microphones, lab work and his own well-honed instincts to close the net.

RT: 68 minutes

Crime in the Streets (1956):
Following a turf rumble with a rival group, a street gang leader (John Cassavetes) tells his gang to do what they’ve never done before: kill a snitch. Reginald Rose wrote and Don Siegel directs a jazz-riffing screen version of a tale first seen on TV and co-starring James Whitmore and Sal Mineo.

RT: 91 minutes
Film Specs: B&W 16x9 Widescreen 1.77

Deadline At Dawn (1946):
A gangster’s sister lies dead. All clues point to sailor Bill Williams as the murderer. Slated to depart for duty at dawn, the swabbie, aided by good-hearted dime-a-dancer Susan Hayward and affable cabbie Paul Lukas, has mere hours to prove his innocence. The tangy Clifford Odets script is based on a novel by William Irish (pseudonym of Cornell Woolrich).

RT: 83 minutes

Backfire (1950):
Vincent Sherman directs this gripping yarn about recovering war veteran Gordon MacRae’s quest to prove pal Edmond O’Brien innocent of murder. Aiding him is his resourceful nurse Virginia Mayo. And a secretive doctor, a lively undertaker, a desperate gambler, a dying witness and a haunting Viennese melody all lead them to a shocking climax.

RT: 91 minutes

The Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 5
Street date: July 13, 2010
Order due date: June 8, 2010
UPC #: 883929042197
$49.92 SRP
All Films Are Not Rated

Note: All enhanced content is subject to change.

About Warner Home Video
With operations in 90 international territories Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video’s film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.
MissGoddess

Re: Warner's Film Noir Classic Collection

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm planning on getting this set. Excellent selection of films, a couple of which I have never seen.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

This is an exceptionally nice set! Great to finally see DEADLINE AT DAWN (a terrific Cornell Woolrich tale) and DIAL 113 make the cut. THE PHENIX CITY STORY is another welcome addition to any noir library, as is ARMORED CAR ROBBERY, possibly director Richard Fleischer's best noir film. The big surprise is Don Siegel's CRIME IN THE STREETS (1956), a very seldom revived juvenile delinquent drama with Sal Mineo and...John Cassavetes!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Great news! Now, if Columbia will just issue Pushover (1954)...
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Artwork! ;)

MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Great news! Now, if Columbia will just issue Pushover (1954)...
Pushover will be included in the Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics, Vol. 2 collection, which is coming out July 6th. Also includes:
Human Desire (1954)
Nightfall (1957)
The Brothers Rico (1957)
City of Fear (1959)

Artwork and info:

http://www.classicflix.com/artwork-deta ... f52301e6c3
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

That's a great list of films (Bros. Rico being the weakest link)! I guess I should start working on a small slush fund.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

The Columbia set is pretty damn potent! And I heartily agree with Ark; BROTHERS RICO is the one false step in this otherwise great set. But four bona fide gems (especially PUSH OVER and NIGHTFALL) warrant our immediate appreciation and attention. If only they had switched out BROTHERS RICO with Paul Wendkos' brilliant 1957 noir THE BURGLAR.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

CITY OF FEAR is the one title I don't have. Decisions...decisions.

If it had THE BURGLAR, then there would be no decision. My copy is abysmal.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

No word on The Burglar DVD. Perhaps if this collection sells well there will be a Vol. 3.
I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on the two Bad Girls of Film Noir sets.

Volume one includes:
The Killer That Stalked New York (1950)
Two of a Kind (1951)
Bad For Each Other (1953)
The Glass Wall (1953)

And Volume two:
Night Editor (1946)
One Girl's Confession (1953)
Women's Prison (1956)
Over-Exposed (1956)

Are either or both of the sets worthwhile?
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Purely as a matter of opinion, each of these sets contain one truly excellent film and three that could easily be discarded after one viewing. In the case of the first set, that film would be THE KILLER THAT STALKED NEW YORK, and in the second it's NIGHT EDITOR. The rest are annoyingly dull.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Isn't that so often the case with these compilations? One of the reasons I generally avoid them -- paying for many movies, and wanting to see only one or two.

Still, if the collections include movies I'm not familiar with, I do get to watch those at least once.

Like the song says: "It's what you value."
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

jdb1 wrote:Isn't that so often the case with these compilations? One of the reasons I generally avoid them -- paying for many movies, and wanting to see only one or two.
That's why I wanted to get the expert opinions.

Generally I've had pretty good luck with box sets and particularly like the Warner Bros. noir collections. I admit, though, that I usually wait for an on-line sale to pick them up. Last month DD had the Sam Fuller Collection for about thirty bucks (and the Sam Katzman set for ten!). Hard to resist, and I couldn't.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Noir's not my cup of tea usually, but I recently watched Murder My Sweet and loved every minute of it. Dick Powell is brilliant, but I'm sure that's yesterday's epiphany for the rest of you guys.

I posted because I wanted to ask MichiganJ what "DD" stands for. I'm always looking for a good source. Thanks!
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

intothenitrate wrote:Noir's not my cup of tea usually, but I recently watched Murder My Sweet and loved every minute of it. Dick Powell is brilliant, but I'm sure that's yesterday's epiphany for the rest of you guys.
No, it's never too late for a few kind words for movie and tv pioneer Dick Powell for me, Nitrate. I find the evolution of his movie career from a boy singer into a jaundiced cynic in Murder, My Sweet, and such interesting movies as Pitfall, Cry Danger and The Tall Target to be a perennially fascinating. He must have been more intelligent than he ever seemed when he was warbling ditties like "Young and Healthy" in the '30s.

If you would like to see the many references to Dick Powell on the site, this might make a nice jumping off point:
http://tinyurl.com/3xqazep
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks