Errol Flynn Adventures Collection

News and Upcoming Releases
pvitari

Errol Flynn Adventures Collection

Post by pvitari »

Classicflix has this scoop:

While there is no official word as of yet, we're passing along news that Warner will soon release TCM: Spotlight: Errol Flynn Adventures Collection. The 5-disc set will feature four new-to-DVD titles, with Objective, Burma! being a re-release.

We've set the likely release date as July 27th, but that is just speculation. As far as price, all 5-disc TCM Spotlight sets have retailed for $49.92, so this set will likely follow that price point. When we know more, we'll pass it along and make the set available for sale.http://www.classicflix.com/images/errol ... ntures.jpg

klondike

Re: Errol Flynn Adventures Collection

Post by klondike »

OK, somebody's got to acknowledge the 500 lb. gorilla in the living room: great looking, exciting new set, but - is there some good reason this set couldn't be called Errol at War, or Flynn Fights the Axis?
'Cause 80% or so of his movies were adventures . . . but only about five were set in WWII, right? :roll:
Or are we buying a whole coincidence theme here? :?
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Edge of Darkness (1943) finally makes it to DVD! Plenty of other good ones in the set as well, including the following year's Uncertain Glory. Who says Santa doesn't work in the off-season?
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

They can call it Errol Flynn Does the Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy Set and I wouldn't care, as long as they release it. ;) Finally, a break in the drought of pressed DVDs! Now if only Fox would turn on the spigot again. They don't even have an MOD Archive-type program.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

pvitari wrote:They can call it Errol Flynn Does the Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy Set and I wouldn't care, as long as they release it. ;) Finally, a break in the drought of pressed DVDs! Now if only Fox would turn on the spigot again. They don't even have an MOD Archive-type program.
I can't wait, Paula. Thanks for passing this along. Director Lewis Milestone's Edge of Darkness is one of my favorite Flynn movies--heck, it may be one of the best of the WWII propaganda movies. It is helped greatly by the rest of the remarkable cast, (Walter Huston, Helmut Dantine, Judith Anderson and Group Theater veterans Roman Bohnen, Morris Carnovsky, Art Smith, etc.), who really helped to bring out the best in the leads, Errol Flynn and Ann Sheridan.

I also have a soft spot for Uncertain Glory since it allows Paul Lukas and Flynn to engage in some Gallic-flavored philosophical ramblings in between dodging the Nazis and wrestling with their consciences. Objective Burma! is one I can take or leave, though there are some remarkably vivid and realistic combat scenes (even if it did insult the British efforts in Indochina by making it look like an American show).

Northern Pursuit, on the other hand, is hilarious and preposterous, but enjoyable. It almost seems to be made from a script that should have been filmed at Monogram for a 14 part serial. Helmut Dantine was a good adversary for Flynn despite the outlandish derring-do.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I saw Desperate Journey on TCM not too long ago and thought it was terrific with an excellent performance from Flynn. Flynn is the commander of a bomber but the plane is hit and crash lands, and then Flynn has to lead his men (including Alan Hale of course -- and also future prez Ronald Reagan) in a "desperate journey" across Germany to the coast. They meet a number of Germans along the way, some who actually want to help and some who are only faking it in order to betray them later to the authorities. The main Nazi on their tail is Raymond Massey and Nancy Coleman plays a pretty fraulein.

I had assumed this would show up in the Warner Archive some day so the news that it's coming out on a real DVD is wonderful. ;)
klondike

Post by klondike »

pvitari wrote:They meet a number of Germans along the way, some who actually want to help and some who are only faking it in order to betray them later to the authorities.
I remember one particularly chilling sequence thereof where Flynn's fugitive team are welcomed under cover of darkness into the actual home of a bona fide resistance agent, who hadn't herself arrived with them . . but the charming old couple hosting them are not who they are assumed to be . . . all very Hitchcockian, and obviously influenced by Powell & Pressburger as well!
:twisted:
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

klondike wrote:
pvitari wrote:They meet a number of Germans along the way, some who actually want to help and some who are only faking it in order to betray them later to the authorities.
I remember one particularly chilling sequence thereof where Flynn's fugitive team are welcomed under cover of darkness into the actual home of a bona fide resistance agent, who hadn't herself arrived with them . . but the charming old couple hosting them are not who they are assumed to be . . . all very Hitchcockian, and obviously influenced by Powell & Pressburger as well!
:twisted:
That's actually the sequence I was thinking of. The couple (who as I dimly recall are actually an old professor and his housekeeper) are played by Albert and Emily Bassermann -- refugees themselves from Nazi Germany. Albert Bassermann had been one of the most distinguished actors of the German stage and cinema but in America he found work doing small character roles in studio films. Bassermann was not Jewish but his wife was and he left with her in 1933.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

OK, the official announcement. Looks like TCM is going all out on this one! Yay Errol Flynn! I'm kind of on a Flynn kick right now and this is manna from cinematic heaven. :)

TCM SPOTLIGHT:
ERROL FLYNN ADVENTURES

RESTORED AND REMASTERED ERROL FLYNN CLASSICS NEW TO DVD AUGUST 3

Desperate Journey ∙ Northern Pursuit ∙ Edge of Darkness Uncertain Glory ∙ Objective , Burma!

Burbank, Calif., April 14, 2010 – WHV is giving fans the opportunity to experience the man Entertainment Weekly named one of the “100 Greatest Movie Stars of All Time” in an adrenaline charged collection of films starring the unforgettable legend, Errol Flynn. Each film* will make its restored and remastered debut on DVD for the first time on August 3, 2010 in Turner Classic Movies Spotlight: Errol Flynn Adventures. Presented by Warner Home Video (WHV), the 5-disc set will include an arsenal of powerful films that celebrate the charismatic and legendary hero who became known to many as “The Baron.” Each disc boasts an impressive array of bonus content and rare footage, some never before available on DVD. The collection includes: Desperate Journey, also starring Ronald Reagan, Northern Pursuit, Edge of Darkness, Uncertain Glory, and Objective, Burma! (SRP $49.92).

One of the greatest movie swashbucklers of the early sound period, Flynn was chosen by Empire Magazine as one of the “100 Sexiest Stars in Film History” in 1995 (issue #86). His debonair attitude and notorious off-screen life continues to make him one of the most compelling actors in Hollywood history. With a combination of natural athleticism and magnetic good looks, Flynn became one of the most popular and highly paid stars of the 1930s and 1940s, and his films continue to be sought after by fans around the world.

ERROL FLYNN ADVENTURES MARKETING SUPPORT

This new Errol Flynn collection will be supported extensively by TCM promotional efforts, including films from the collection airing on TCM; on-air spots; mentions by TCM host Robert Osborne; online banners; splash pages; e-newsletter promotion; Facebook and Twitter messaging; search engine marketing; and an ad in the August issue of TCM’s Now Playing guide.

ABOUT THE FILMS

Desperate Journey (1942)
American pilots stranded in Germany during World War II fight their way to freedom. Also stars Ronald Reagan as Flying Officer Johnny Hammond. Directed by Raoul Walsh.

Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies 1942 Short Subjects Gallery:
1.Vintage Newsreel
2.Oscar™-Nominated** Patriotic Short: The Tanks Are Coming
3.Musical Shorts: Borrah Minnevitch and His Harmonica School and The United States Army Air Force Band
4.Classic Cartoon: The Dover Boys at Pimento University or The Rivals of Roquefort Hall
5.Trailers of Desperate Journey and 1942’s Murder in the Big House

Running Time: 107 minutes (film only)
Rating: NR
Film Specs: B&W, Standard
Language: English Mono
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (Main Feature. Bonus Material/Trailer May Not Be Subtitled)

Northern Pursuit (1943)
Icebound wilds and ice-blooded Nazis! Canadian officer Flynn infiltrates a cadre of Nazi saboteurs, pretending to guide them toward their destination while unraveling their scheme. Directed by Raoul Walsh.

Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies 1943 Short Subjects Gallery:
1.Vintage Newsreel
2.Wartime Short: The Rear Gunner
3.Musical Short: All-Star Melody Masters
4.Drama Short: Over the Wall
5.Classic Cartoon: Hop and Go
6.Trailers of Northern Pursuit and 1943’s The Constant Nymph

Running Time: 93 minutes (film only)
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (Main Feature. Bonus Material/Trailer May Not Be Subtitled)

Edge of Darkness (1943)
Resistance fighters battle the Nazis in occupied Norway. Directed by Lewis Milestone.

Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies 1943 Short Subjects Gallery:
1.Vintage Newsreel
2.Musical Short: The United States Service Bands
3.Classic Cartoons: Hiss and Make Up and To Duck….or Not to Duck
4.Trailers of Edge of Darkness and 1943’s The Hard Way

Running Time: 119 minutes (film only)

Uncertain Glory (1944)
A French playboy gets serious when his country is threatened during World War II. Directed by Raoul Walsh.

Special Features:
Warner Night at the Movies 1944 Short Subjects Gallery:
1.Vintage Newsreel
2.Musical Short: United States Coast Guard Band
3.Classic Cartoons: Brother Brat and Russian Rhapsody
4.Trailers of Uncertain Glory and 1944’s The Mask of Dimitrios

Running Time: 102 minutes (film only)

Objective, Burma! (1945)
An American platoon parachutes into Burma to take out a strategic Japanese outpost. Directed by Raoul Walsh.

Special Features:
· Commentary by Historians Rudy Behlmer, Jon Burlingame and Frank Thompson
· Warner Night at the Movies 1945 Short Subjects Gallery:
1. Vintage Newsreel
2. Joe McDoakes Comedy Short: So You Think You’re Allergic
3. Classic Cartoon: A Tale of Two Mice
4. Trailers of Objective , Burma! and 1945’s Pride of the Marines

Running Time: 142 minutes (film only)

TCM SPOTLIGHT
ERROL FLYNN ADVENTURES

Desperate Journey ∙ Northern Pursuit ∙ Edge of Darkness
Uncertain Glory ∙ Objective, Burma!

Street Date: August 3, 2010
Order Date: June 29, 2010
UPC #: 883929087013
$49.92 SRP (5-disc set)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

pvitari wrote:That's actually the sequence I was thinking of. The couple (who as I dimly recall are actually an old professor and his housekeeper) are played by Albert and Emily Bassermann -- refugees themselves from Nazi Germany. Albert Bassermann had been one of the most distinguished actors of the German stage and cinema but in America he found work doing small character roles in studio films. Bassermann was not Jewish but his wife was and he left with her in 1933.
I'm not sure if it is entirely true, but I've read that Albert Bassermann only spoke English phonetically. In any case he was a wonderful actor who had no problem conveying the gist of a character. He was very touching in Foreign Correspondent (1940) and The Red Shoes (1948). He could go from charming to vulnerable to menacing in an instant too.

I did not know that was Emily Bassermann in that scene as the housekeeper in the brilliantly paced Desperate Journey, thanks in large part to Raoul Walsh.

Thanks for filling me in.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks