Netflix Films Streaming and DVD By Mail

News and Upcoming Releases
MissGoddess

Re: Netflix Streaming Films

Post by MissGoddess »

i feel like i jinxed this because just a short while ago I wondered aloud on this board when Netflix was going to increase their fees. :oops:

I have decided to go down to the cheapie plan, which is two DVDs a month and two hours of streaming a month. I find right now that will work fine since I actually have another subscription to Classicflix and I can't say I have been good about availing myself of the instant streamings. Fortunately, this doesn't go into effect for a little over a month, and by then I probably will be watching even less streaming.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Our equivalent is Lovefilm, they have quite a few films available for streaming, I usually only take this option if the film is unavailable for renting.

I remember years ago my hubby telling me that owning films will be obselete as, one day, you'll be able to dial up the film/programme you want to watch and watch whenever you want. I think the technology is there but I wonder if they'll ever hold the films and programmes I want to see. I hardly fit into the popular viewing category of my age group, so keep hold of my DVDs doggedly.

I feel the same, though I don't doubt some of the more obscure movies will be streamed and even less likely to come to DVD. The one drawback about streaming to me is that it almost elminates any "extras" or bonus features. No commentary, no documentary-featurettes, etc. I admit I like these things and they even play a part in my DVD buying decisions.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:i feel like i jinxed this because just a short while ago I wondered aloud on this board when Netflix was going to increase their fees. :oops:
Yeah, Miss G. It's all your fault! You woke up Netflix's accounting dept. with your remark and you also control the mail rates and the cost of fuel, darn you.

You're probably also responsible for the price of lettuce going up this week too!! :P
MissGoddess wrote:I have decided to go down to the cheapie plan, which is two DVDs a month and two hours of streaming a month. I find right now that will work fine since I actually have another subscription to Classicflix and I can't say I have been good about availing myself of the instant streamings. Fortunately, this doesn't go into effect for a little over a month, and by then I probably will be watching even less streaming.
How do you like Classicflix for streaming and for rare DVDs? Do you find that they have many '30s-'50s movies that you haven't seen?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh, i was just telling someone at TCM the other day how I loved the little kitten with Spring in You Can't Take It With You! That's a great avatar for you, Miss Writer-in-Residence.

That picture of Peter captures my expression perfectly when I got the email from Netflix about the plan changes. :D

Unfortunately, ClassicFlix does not do streaming, at least not yet that I know of, but their selection of classic films AND television series is pretty comprehensive. That they offer you the option to buy the items it not bad, either, and they do have sales all the time. (That said, I still comparison shop.)

It's worked out nicely in that what ClassicFlix doesn't have, Netflix often will, and vice-versa. I have a 9.99 a month plan at ClassicFlix, for one DVD at a time, unlimited.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It will be a pity if the more unusual films are only available for streaming but you could be right. There are still plenty of classic films waiting for release to disc in Britain, I often order from the US because the films just aren't available here for rental.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Starz has apparently hit the road. Netflix and Starz couldn't come to any agreement on renewing the contract to show their films. Short of watching things that were on Encore's Westerns I'm not sure how much I'll miss.

Does anyone care one way or another?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

There were a few Starz films I watched, but I think mostly it won't matter.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Does that affect DVD rentals or only streaming?

By the way, I switched to the one-at-a-time (unlimited) DVD only plan, and had to ditch streaming altogether. I just didn't use it enough to justify paying twice as much.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's only streaming.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Well, heads are spinning at Netflix once again this morning as the company backtracks on their recent unfortunate decision to split their business between online streaming films and DVDs by mail. Below is the missive that arrived in this subscriber's mailbox this morning. What a confusing place this must be to work! Naturally the price hike stays in place, though I figured out a way to make my monthly bill smaller by reducing the number of DVDs I can have out at one time. I do like their service and while Amazon and Youtube are trying to compete with them, I haven't found anything to match it yet, but hope that they can figure out a way to keep costs down in the future (yes, I am probably dreaming).
Dear Subscriber:

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Re: Netflix Films Streaming and DVD By Mail

Post by JackFavell »

Personally, I like Netflix enough to see this as the company actually listening to it's consumers.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Starz and other companies programs are going away next week. I'm losing about 10 things off of my streaming queue but that was mostly Encore Westerns programming.

I was a little surprised to find that some things were available for streaming but not on DVD.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Things must be getting tighter. In my DVD queue which has 139 titles in it there are 24 that have a "short wait" on them. Now that is not really a problem with that many titles but I've never had that many with a wait on them. (None of them are streaming.) None of them are popular titles.

Oh well.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Maybe those are the ones in my queue! :D
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think so. If not you then somebody here has them. Only this group would watch what I have in my queue.
Chris