Morgan Freeman Comment

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:
MissGoddess wrote:
feaito wrote:Glad to read those good comments on "It Started in Naples", since I bought the DVD last friday :D

You are in for a treat, Fernando! The picture quality of the dvd is super-sharp and all the wondrous colors of Naples and Capri just JUMP off the screen. It's one of the most colorful movies I've ever seen, in fact. I can't wait to hear what you think of it. :D
I'm even more thrilled now :o . I'll let you know for sure!
You'll be especially happy to find that the cutest character in the film is your namesake. I think I've mentioned before that at home we call our cat for that character: Nando.
benwhowell

Marietto

Post by benwhowell »

And from the "reviews" I've read, little Nando "steals" the movie from Gable and Sophia.
Handsome Johnny Eck
feaito

Post by feaito »

jdb1 wrote: You'll be especially happy to find that the cutest character in the film is your namesake. I think I've mentioned before that at home we call our cat for that character: Nando.
:shock: :shock: :shock: I did not expect that... Now I have to see this film ASAP!!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Gable started in Naples, but he wound up on the Isle of Capri.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:
jdb1 wrote: You'll be especially happy to find that the cutest character in the film is your namesake. I think I've mentioned before that at home we call our cat for that character: Nando.
:shock: :shock: :shock: I did not expect that... Now I have to see this film ASAP!!

That's right! I'd completely forgotten the little imp was called after you, hee! He's a scene stealer, for sure. The relationship between him and Gable is very sweetly developed.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Hummm...you had me until you mentioned the kid.

PLEASE tell me he isn't a whiner. After having Brannon deWilde ruin SHANE for me, I'm hesitant to watch any more films with kids in them who are whiners. :P

Whiners and wimps get on my nerves. :lol:
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

pktrekgirl wrote:Hummm...you had me until you mentioned the kid.

PLEASE tell me he isn't a whiner. After having Brannon deWilde ruin SHANE for me, I'm hesitant to watch any more films with kids in them who are whiners. :P

Don't worry - this boy was the anti-kid; the stereotypical post-war hustler, barefoot and cynical, smoking cigarettes, truant from school, and staying up all night. He is the one taking care of his aunt, Loren, rather than the other way around. But through it all, he maintains a (non-nauseating) sweetness, and glimmers of a real little boy shine through. He and Gable do develop a very nice and believable rapport. A brief scene where Loren, trying to impress Gable as to the regularity of the boy's life, dresses him up to send him to school, is very funny ("Ask someone where it is," she whispers to Nando.)
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Ah! Okay! My kind of kid.

Big relief. I would hate to have to intentionally skip an otherwise wonderful Clark Gable picture for fear of The deWilde Factor. :lol:

"Shaaaaaaannnnnneeeeee!" :shock:

*gasp*

Like nails on a chalkboard.

Seriously. :lol:
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
vallo

Post by vallo »

I always liked Gable...Period....

I even like his lesser films. He always brought something to the screen.
And for a guy, I myself wish I had that smirk...

Mr. Freeman has good taste.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Yeah...I'm pretty certain that smirk got all SORTS of women in trouble! :lol:
~ Gary Cooper
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

pktrekgirl wrote:^ Yeah...I'm pretty certain that smirk got all SORTS of women in trouble! :lol:
He could invest more devilishness in a grin than any other actor I can think of.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

There may be something more to the Morgan Freeman/Clark Gable connection. I got the latest issue of AARP Magazine in the mail yesterday, and there is an absolutely "kickin'" photo of Mr. Freeman on the cover, smiling a very sly, masculine, knowing, come-hither kind of smile that would have made Gable proud. I hope all you Gable and Freeman fans get a look at it. :D
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

MissGoddess wrote:
pktrekgirl wrote:^ Yeah...I'm pretty certain that smirk got all SORTS of women in trouble! :lol:
He could invest more devilishness in a grin than any other actor I can think of.
Tough call between him and Errol Flynn though.

But no doubt about it - they are in a league of their own in that department. :lol:
~ Gary Cooper
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

jdb1 wrote:
pktrekgirl wrote:Hummm...you had me until you mentioned the kid.

Don't worry - this boy was the anti-kid; the stereotypical post-war hustler, barefoot and cynical, smoking cigarettes, truant from school, and staying up all night. He is the one taking care of his aunt, Loren, rather than the other way around. But through it all, he maintains a (non-nauseating) sweetness, and glimmers of a real little boy shine through. He and Gable do develop a very nice and believable rapport. A brief scene where Loren, trying to impress Gable as to the regularity of the boy's life, dresses him up to send him to school, is very funny ("Ask someone where it is," she whispers to Nando.)

What is it with these little Italian kids who steal the screen from big stars?
Gaetano Autiero is the kid in "Summertime" and he walks away with every scene he's in. He plays a little hustler too, only he hustles Katharine Hepburn (and everyone else in the movie).
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

traceyk wrote:What is it with these little Italian kids who steal the screen from big stars?
Gaetano Autiero is the kid in "Summertime" and he walks away with every scene he's in. He plays a little hustler too, only he hustles Katharine Hepburn (and everyone else in the movie).
Mauro and Nando are essentially the same character: the can-do little hustler prevalent during wartime and post-war, Vittorio deSica's "Shoeshine" boy all over again. Anyone see the I Love Lucy episode broadcast on TVLand this morning about the little hustler boy she meets in Florence? Same kid again. There was a comic strip still going when I was a little girl called "Dondi," about a little Italian boy "adopted" by GIs. I think there is a movie version of same as well.