Morgan Freeman Comment

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Morgan Freeman Comment

Post by moira finnie »

Recently, I caught a few minutes of the Late Night with Conan O'Brien show. O'Brien's guest was Morgan Freeman, and the talk show host was clearly in awe of the actor's talent and gravitas. Stammering and fawning a bit, Conan told Freeman that he thought that he had one of the most remarkable speaking voices and had given some of the greatest performances in movie history.

In his very effective, quietly authoritative way, Freeman paused for a moment, looking slightly irritated and a bit embarrassed. The raucous crowd, sensing that the actor had something to say, tittered nervously while O'Brien seemed a bit deflated and possibly worried about the direction of his interview. Conan hurriedly interjected a quick query about what actors Freeman admires now. Smiling indulgently, Morgan Freeman explained that there were several, but the abilities of two actors, whom he had studied since childhood, continued to astound and teach him about the craft of acting. Freeman said that he had long since given up trying to emulate their masterful skill to make any situation real and to say dialogue as fluently or rapidly as these two, (whom he described with wonder as "dialogue machines"). Freeman mentioned that the two were also remarkable for having done their jobs so well for so very long.
The actors names?

Clark Gable and James Cagney.

Cagney is justifiably still noted for his extraordinary gifts, but when was the last time that you heard a contemporary performer cite Clark Gable as a talent as well as a star?
Last edited by moira finnie on September 29th, 2007, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Re: Morgan Freeman Comment

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:Smiling indulgently, Morgan Freeman explained that there were several, but the abilities of two actors, whom he had studied since childhood, continued to astound and teach him about the craft of acting. Freeman said that he had long since given up trying to emulate their masterful skill to make any situation real and to say dialogue as skillfully or rapidly as these two, (whom he described with wonder as "dialogue machines"). Freeman mentioned that the two were also remarkable for having done their jobs so well for so very long.
The actors names?

Clark Gable and James Cagney.

Cagney is justifiably still noted for his extraordinary gifts, but when was the last time that you heard a contemporary performer cite Clark Gable as a talent as well as a star?
Forgive me, I just had to pick myself up from the floor. I am now Morgan Freeman's SLAVE. Thank heavens, finally someone has something positive to say for Gable's abilities, instead of just his sex appeal or dismissing him totally. You all probably know by now he's second only to Coop in my affection and appreciation. While I don't believe he is a towering actor like Tracy or even Coop, I think he's far, far better than he's ever given credit, especially when he was given decent material and direction. At any rate, like Cary Grant, there never was or will be anyone like him, though they keep trying.

Thanks Moira, for posting this---you made my whole weekend.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I especially like Gable in Command Decision & The Hucksters . Of course the subject matter anti - War & anti - Capitalist have absolutely nothing to do with me liking those films and Gable's performance. Being serious he was an excellent actor. 8)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moira:

I saw a little of that interview and when I saw Conan start to get in over his head I bailed on him. I wished I'd stayed for Freeman's comment.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Good to see someone giving some props to Clark.

I don't really understand this phenomenon where people assume that because Gable is so recognizable as a 'star' that he's not that good of an actor.

Gable won one Oscar, and if GWTW had come out in pretty much any other year besides 1939, he's have won two. I suppose the consolation to that is that Rhett Butler is to this day recognizable to pretty much anyone who has ever turned on a TV set, while Chips is known most often by classic movie fans. Most 'men on the street' don't even know who Robert Donat WAS. But everyone knows who Clark Gable is - largely because of Rhett Butler.

Gable never ceases to impress and amaze me. Yeah, he has a bunch of those roles in romantic comedies where he is always two steps ahead of the woman and manipulates her into exactly the place he wants her. But he also excelled in all sorts of other roles and was great in war movies and dramas. Just about 6 months ago I saw COMMAND DECISION for the first time and was really impressed....as I was when I watched RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP for the first time...or HOMECOMING....or BETRAYED.

In fact, I'd say that if I have a 'comfort actor', it might well be Clark Gable. His pictures are simply easy to watch. I don't have to 'be in the mood' for his pictures like I have to be, for example, with an Errol Flynn big adventure film. And I don't have to watch very closely like I do with most Gary Cooper films because Coop acted so much through his eyes.

Clark Gable? You can just plop down and enjoy. No effort required at all. And I like that about him.

And it is interesting that Morgan Freeman mentioned him and Cagney. Because of all the actors I can think of, with the possible exception of Cary Grant, these two are the ones who always looked like they were having the most FUN, just making the picture.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

>>>I don't really understand this phenomenon where people assume that because Gable is so recognizable as a 'star' that he's not that good of an actor. <<<

Hi Beda---I knew you'd chime in here, too. :D I'm actually going to save Morgan's comments and email them to some folks, I'm so pleased.

As for your above observation, I've always wondered if, at least on the part of the male critics, a little bit of envy wasn't behind it all. It took them a precious long time to come around to appreciating Cary Grant, and I think he is held in such high regard now because, unlike Gable, his image is "non-threatening", whatever that means. Actors of clear, unambivalent masculinity tend to get short shrift from most critics in general.

I've always thought it the highest testament to how capable he was in front of the camera that a talent like Tracy worked double-time to simply stay in the same scene with Gable. If you look closely, Tracy's mannerisms are much more on display in their teamings than in most of his solo efforts.

Clark was so modest about his talents, I honestly believe he'd be moved to tears that someone like Freeman would speak so admiring of him.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I saw "The Misfits" earlier this year, and I was very impressed with Gable's performance there. "Mutiny on the Bounty" is another of his films that I discovered only recently but like a lot.

I read somewhere that a person is either a Gable fan or a Bogart fan. Certainly that was true for me. I actively hunted down Bogie movies or watched them many times. I never really went out of my way, until lately, to see a Gable movie.
benwhowell

"Let's just live."

Post by benwhowell »

I'm a Bogie and Gable fan! I'm glad that you mentioned "The Misfits," Mike. It is a wonderful "swan song" from Gable and probably my fave performance. Actually, all the performances are wonderful-from Marilyn Monroe, Thelma Ritter, Montgomery Clift, Eli Wallach and, even Estelle Winwood in a cameo as a church lady collecting money in a roadhouse. It is really amazing to watch all these "movie stars/sex symbols" and "character actors" work so well together and find such "perfect fits" in their sad, lonely yet optimistic characters. A true "Essential."
Handsome Johnny Eck
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

These comments about Gable have made me think of the comments about Tracy & Hepburn I read in a bio of Elia Kazan I read last summer. Kazan directed the duo in Sea of Grass, and he express contempt for them -- "They aren't actors -- they're movie stars." As if that were a bad thing.

Kazan had great respect for Brando, Clift and various other Method types, and he resented the fact that T&H didn't grunt, sweat or suffer to play their parts. He didn't like that they made it look so easy. I think it's the same with critics of Gable, or Cooper, or any other actor who doesn't appear to be "acting." Gable could speak volumes with the arch of an eyebrow - it's a talent, and for sure not every actor can do it, but Gable was much more than a screen presence. He brought substance to every part he played, and if he could just come in and toss it off, and then go home, I say good for him. It's something that's born into someone, and no amount of training could have given it to him. It was just there.

I've been thinking about a later Gable movie that I like very much - the comedy It Started in Naples, with Sophie Loren. Gable is so laid back in that movie, and yet he dominates or, I should say, he dominates the screen equally with Loren, who was no slouch in the screen domination department. It's a very even match, and many a lesser actor would have been swamped by her, but not The King. They have surprisingly good chemistry together, and it's a lovely movie.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

>>>"They aren't actors -- they're movie stars." As if that were a bad thing.

Kazan had great respect for Brando, Clift and various other Method types, and he resented the fact that T&H didn't grunt, sweat or suffer to play their parts.<<<

Wow, that really surprises me. I never would have thought Kazan was such a snob, and so short-sighted, really. The "guru" of method acting himself, Lee Strasberg, had many faults in my opinion, but he always maintained these actors really did their craft well.

Another proselyte of method acting is Eli Wallach (who co-stars with Gable, Monroe and Clift in The Misfits), and you have to hear him praise Gable's acting, he really admired and respected the man.

By the way, I'm so happy to know someone else is as charmed by It Stated in Naples...I've enjoyed that comedy ever since I saw it as a kid on TV, and now I have the sparkling dvd. I think the narration by Gable, especially when he's picking up on all the cultural differences, is absolutely hilarious. And then there's gorgeous Vittoria De Sica (engaged as Gable's attorney), behaving oh so gallantly Italian machista, switching sides on Gable because he wants to seduce Sophia! :lol: I watched this movie with a friend who is South American and she said that's exactly how they can be in latin countries---a man hasn't a chance against a beautiful woman on the stand. Lol!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Glad to read those good comments on "It Started in Naples", since I bought the DVD last friday :D
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

MissGoddess wrote:>>>I don't really understand this phenomenon where people assume that because Gable is so recognizable as a 'star' that he's not that good of an actor. <<<

Hi Beda---I knew you'd chime in here, too. :D
Yeah, there are certain actors who you can always expect a response from me on - and of course, Clark Gable is one of them.

As for your above observation, I've always wondered if, at least on the part of the male critics, a little bit of envy wasn't behind it all. It took them a precious long time to come around to appreciating Cary Grant, and I think he is held in such high regard now because, unlike Gable, his image is "non-threatening", whatever that means. Actors of clear, unambivalent masculinity tend to get short shrift from most critics in general.
Yeah, I sorta wonder about this also. *Especially* if they are guys that women melt over. It's interesting how they don't whine about John Wayne's acting, for example. But when it comes to someone like Clark Gable, they can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that he's both a 'man's man'....and a 'woman's man' - at the same time! :lol:

Sometimes I think the threat comes in the form of him being a guy who could 'handle' just about any woman. I mean, there are very few male actors who would be believable at 'handling' many of Jean Harlow's characters, for example. Or Scarlett O'Hara, for that matter! But Clark? You don't doubt for a moment that he is on top of the situation - WHATEVER it is. Say what you will - Clark Gable's characters KNEW women - and I think that there has be be at least a kernel of that ability within the actor himself in order to be able to portray that as effectively as he did.

Which, IMO, is PRECISELY what makes him so appealing to most women. Sure, Gable was a very nice looking man. But it was more than that - at least it is for me. Gable very clearly projected the impression that he could handle you - or any other woman, for that matter. And that is not something that can be 'acted'. A guy either can or he can't IRL...and only the ones who can do it IRL understand enough about it to be able to project it on screen.

The rest of 'em sit around complaining about how they don't understand us. :lol:

You never saw *Clark Gable's characters* sitting around whining about how they 'just didn't understand women'. (B-O-O H-O-O) Clark Gable's characters just took CHARGE. And further, did it in such a way as you were glad to see them do it! :P

It was great to watch.

Best thing since Valentino dragging 'em off to his tent! :D Indeed, Rhett Butler picking up Scarlett and carrying her up those stairs was really the talkie equivalent. "Enough of this foolishness! You're coming with ME!"

Whee!!!! 8)

Clark was so modest about his talents, I honestly believe he'd be moved to tears that someone like Freeman would speak so admiring of him.
Yeah...you know I often think about the conversation he supposedly had with Carole Lombard on the way to the '39 Oscars - about how he thought it was his last shot at Oscar No. 2.

It kinda makes me sad, because really - if I were able to give out ONE Oscar to someone who didn't get an Oscar for a role they played, it would be to him for GWTW. I mean think about it in it's historical perspective: Rhett Butler is perhaps THE male 'face' on classic film. The only rival Clark has in that department is Bogie with Rick Blaine.

Interesting that neither of them won Oscars for those roles....but when you look at them now, 60+ years later, they ARE the face of classic film.

It sure would be nice if somehow out there, they knew it.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Beautifully expressed, Beda, I really enjoyed reading your comments. It's so true, Gable and Bogie are the faces of classical cinema. And they each in a different way redefined the idea of what a male movie star should be. No one ever for a moment disputed the idea that Gable was the only one called "The King" even if he personally felt silly about it.

Good analogy about the correllation between The Sheik/tent and GWTW/ stairs scenes. I hadn't thought about that before.

And yes, I think Gable should have gotten that statuette for GWTW---it's a much more demanding performance than It Happened One Night was. Moreover, I think it's a TRAVESTY that he was not even nominated for The Misfits. I think he's stupendous as Gay Langland.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:Glad to read those good comments on "It Started in Naples", since I bought the DVD last friday :D

You are in for a treat, Fernando! The picture quality of the dvd is super-sharp and all the wondrous colors of Naples and Capri just JUMP off the screen. It's one of the most colorful movies I've ever seen, in fact. I can't wait to hear what you think of it. :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:
feaito wrote:Glad to read those good comments on "It Started in Naples", since I bought the DVD last friday :D

You are in for a treat, Fernando! The picture quality of the dvd is super-sharp and all the wondrous colors of Naples and Capri just JUMP off the screen. It's one of the most colorful movies I've ever seen, in fact. I can't wait to hear what you think of it. :D
I'm even more thrilled now :o . I'll let you know for sure!