What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: What are you reading?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Well said Kingrat. Not as much was known about mental illness in Sylvia's time and there wasn't the medication available. Ted Hughes was put in an intolerable situation after Sylvia's death because no doubt his leaving her for someone else triggered her final suicide attempt, it's a tragedy for all concerned, especially her children. I'm not sure an unbiased biography has been written yet, the one I read by Janet Malcolm was really showing how difficult it can be when writing a biography especially when so many people are left who knew that person or who could be hurt. The biography that had the most help from the Hughes's was slated by the Observer reviewer because he had been a friend of Sylvia's. One thing was apparent, that Ted Hughes had a hard time after Sylvia's death yet the letters I read in the book, he was all too aware of this and of the impact on his children with Plath. The fact that someone, the same Observer reviewer who was a friend published details of Plath's suicide when the childen were 9 and 11 and had not been told themselves, it just makes the whole world of biographies a whole lot murkier. I hope someone will tackle a biography of two of them and restore a more balanced view to history.

I'm reading The Bell Jar again, I'm quite liking it for the writing style, it's very immediate, it hit's between the eyes and makes an impact.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I remember being floored by it, but I was young at the time and it was during college. I'm almost afraid to read it again right now, the weather is grey and cold.... maybe I'll give it a go come March or April. :D
charliechaplinfan

I'll let you know how I get on, I'll have to line something lighter up to read next.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Sylvia Plath - interesting poetess whose tragic suicide was misinterpreted as romantic by the college girl mentality."
charliechaplinfan

I was looking her up on wikipedia only to see that her son with Hughes committed suicide too and then to see that there was a book or an article called 'How Sylvia Plath murdered her own son' it's disgraceful really that people can tread so vicariously on people who are still alive. Sylvia was adopted by college girls and feminists but I'm not sure she would have wanted to have caused the protracted grief that the 'debate' over her life and legacy has caused to her children. I'm finding The Bell Jar quite real and chilling so far, she writes as a girl going over the edge but that edge doesn't look so far away to me, I've been blue once or twice, I haven't felt anything nearly as distorted or out of it as what's in The Bell Jar but what is startling to reread as I'm older is that it's the same tree, she was just a lot further along and had veered onto an branch of mental anguish, one that wasn't completely understood. I've known and am related to people who have had mental breakdowns. It's kind of eye opening and at the same time, startling.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Just finished A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. Lots of differences from the movie, but understandable. I also recently read Cloud Atlas, then went and saw the movie. Sure glad I read the book first. Would've been lost otherwise. Much the same as seeing 2001: A Space Odessey back in '71. Without the story insight of the book, the movies leaves one asking himself, "What?" I do recommend both books.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey Charlie! Nice to see you here. That's funny, I've been toying with reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but didn't get it for my kindle because it was too much money.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I've got a Nook reader, Wendy, but sometimes I prefer to open a good old hardback or paperback. You might be able to find it in one of those formats at a more reasonable price.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

And there's always the library! Jacks, get thee to the stacks!!!! This is definitely one to read.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sure my old fashioned library will have it, they have a treasure trove of books from the 40's and before.
charliechaplinfan

I have Cloud Atlas, I haven't read it yet, I didn't know they were making it into a movie.

Despite not loving the movie I might read the book, I like older books and as we know films frequently have to leave out lots of details to fit into screen time.

I'm reading a book about the hostess clubs in Japan called Glass Geishas. I needed light relief, I enjoyed the Bell Jar if that is the right word but reading her end words about the Bell Jar (ie the depression/madness) descending again at anytime and realisng what happened when it did left a strange taste in my mouth. I might have another look at Ted Hughes Birthday Letters that are mostly written to Sylvia but they are a bit expensive for kindle at the moment.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What book would you take with you to the desert island? Or if you don't like this question, what book best fits your personality, describes you, so to speak?

My number one, the book I love most and which describes me best is Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray. It's got everything, it's funny and horrific, satirical and brutally honest. Dorothy Parker read it once a year, she admired it so, and I can see how the tone of it really reflects in her work. It's supremely ironic, and irony is something I enjoy more than anything. But that irony is backed by some real truths and emotions, and this is what makes the book great.

my runners up would be

2. Joe Gould's Secret

3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My favorite novel is GRAPES OF WRATH. Followed, I believe, by TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. But I wouldn't be likely to read any novel over and over on an island. I might take a collection of short stories. Twain maybe? That would work!
charliechaplinfan

Libby asked me something similar the other night. She waned to know my 5 favourite authors, which is really tricky because my favourite books aren't written by people who wrote a lot of books or I only like the one book they did. My books for a treasure island

Anna Karenina

Jane Eyre

Wuthering Heights

Madame Bovary

Pride and Prejudice.

(I know you said 3 but Libby asked for 5 authors and for 4 of them there is nothing else that inspires me that I've read yet)

honourable mentions To Kill A Mockingbird, the Great Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath.

I'm reading a biography of Pearl Buck now, from Sylvia Plath to Pearl Buck, it follows no logic. I think I'm going to have to succumb to The Good Earth and no doubt other books by her too.

And on Sylvia Plath I was surprised to find out she's buried quite near to where I live. I'm amazed, she died in London and had lived in Devon. I need to do some reading to find out why it is her resting place. An excuse for a Saturday or Sunday out.

As for Vanity Fair I'd read it as a teen but found it so so, I probably wasn't old enough to appreciate the wit. It should be free on the kindle these days too.