What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: What are you reading?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Ah, it's not on kindle yet. Seeing as practically every other Pearl Buck novel is I'll take a chance that it'll get translated soon. Hopefully.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

We are having some major home remodeling done -- translation: relocating for 6 months. Further translation: My dear, ChiO. I do love you, but...will you please throw out all that junk you're hoarding. For the record, I am not a hoarder; I am a collector. So, as I pull out a stack of saved newspapers (9/11; Cubs in play-offs; Bulls win another title; etc.), there it is...the reason for saving for a re-read.

The Village Voice (July 9-15, 1980) -- cover story: Sarris vs. Kael, The Queen Bee of Film Criticism, by Andrew Sarris. I know that's the reason I saved it, but on page 39 is an article by J. Hoberman: Sam Fuller: Gate Crasher at the Auteur Limits. Fuller was in NYC for a publicity tour for THE BIG RED ONE and, as it so happened, the Public Theater was presenting a 12-day retrospective of his films.

Some reading is truly better the second time around.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

feaito wrote:Started reading Paul Von Ward's "We've Never Been Alone" (2011), first published in 2004 as "Gods, Genes and Consciousness". So far I have read the introduction and it's going to be a superb read, I am sure.
In one phrase: "One the most thought-provoking books on a pivotal subject."
feaito

Post by feaito »

I finished reading the very entertaining autobiography "No Bed of Roses" by Joan Fonatine. I liked Ms. Fontaine's frank approach (from her point of view obviously) to the depiction of her life. I would have liked that she'd analyzed more deeply her film experiences (she barely mentioned one of my favorite films: "Letter from an Unknown Woman" (1948) and did not mention her co-star in that film Louis Jourdan), but to have this first-hand account is invaluable. Ms. Fontaine's greatest love in life and her biggest influence and idol? Without a doubt. Ms. Lilian Rusé Fontaine, a larger-than-life character. Her favorite leading man?: -Alison, you are going to like this- Charles Boyer. From what I read I can conclude that "The Constant Nymph" (1943) was her fave film at the time whe wrote this book.

Now I began "A Rose for Mrs. Miniver - The Life of Greer Garson" by Michael Troyan, and so far good!
charliechaplinfan

Well Miss Fontaine had very good taste, that's all I can say. I wonder if at the time of writing that Letter From An Unknown Woman had had a resurgance with movie fans. I don't know how big it was when it was first released but it has a good reputation amongst movie buffs now and when the book was written films weren't as available as they are today. Not to mention Louis Jourdan, that's quite an oversight but I can forgive her due to her high regard for Charles Boyer.

It was half term recently so my reading and film watching went out of the window but I did reread Persuasion by Jane Austen, it's been a while since I read one of Jane's books and whilst she's widely regarded as the classic female author I still prefer my Brontes. Jane Austen was more consistent though, I'll admit that and highly readable, if Charlotte hadn't written Jane Eyre and if Emily hadn't have written Wuthering Heights then I'd be in agreement with the majority view.

I've also been reading Alison Weir, firstly her books about the Princes in the Tower and now I'm reading about Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Uhhh, Chio, I can understand your expectations for saving certain front pages and the plan to re-read them. The only thing I have is; the day after Sweetness - Walter Payton died, The Chicago Sun Times devoted a filler to his life, and career. As it happened, the filler was thicker than the newspaper itself that day. The whole city and its suburbs was in mourning that day as it will be again when Iron Mike leaves us. I'm a collector of figurines of Angels, and lighthouses, but although I save a certain front pages from time to time, I generally toss it after a couple of years. If I had the money I would encase in plastic the Sweetness paper because I've already been offered a few hundred dollars for it from a collector friend who has a store with items of sports figures. I'm considering leaving it to him in my will, unless my daughter wants it to sell some day. But I couldn't be that mercenary with it - He was the hero of this (at the time) 55 year old grandmother.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I started tossing a few newspapers. Saw one -- Tribune with a headline about a big crash at O'Hare with 200+ dead. Odd, thinks I. I didn't save disasters, just big political events, obits, & sports events of note. As I put it in the "discard" pile, I noticed the date -- June 21, 1979. Oops! The day my first daughter was born. And that is why I collect...not hoard.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

Garson's Bio is an excellent read, I thoroughly recommend it.

Now, while riding the subway from and back home, I'm reading Rudy Behlmer's intriguing "Inside Warner Bros. (1935-1951)". The book is comprised of the transcriptions of letters and memos regarding some of the most important WB films that were made during those years. Super interesting for any film buff.

At nights I'm reading Spencer Tracy's Bio. by James Curtis, a huge and heavy book that cannot be carried easily, so it's better to read it only at home :wink: Haven't advance much though...
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I really enjoyed the balanced approach Curtis made to Spencer Tracy's life, but it is monumental in it's scope and weight. :lol:
Can't wait to read Garson's biography. She was quite revered here in Texas.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I just finished an exceptional legal thriller called DEFENDING JACOB. A DA is putting together a murder case when his fourteen year-old son becomes the prime suspect. The story, by William Landay, is thoughtful enough to be taken seriously; light enough to provide plenty of thrills. More PRESUMED INNOCENT than John Grisham, this will not dissapoint fans of the genre. Good story. Good characters. And on the stands at your local grocery. That, in the long run, is an important feature!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I got my first science fiction book in years and years. It's not my genre. I prefer realism. But this anthology caught my eye. A collection of four great novels (at least, according to the editor) from the 1950's. Pivotal examples, I suspect. Maybe it's not my usual choice. But I appreciate the pulp angle; the sensational approach. This might be fun!
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I just finished reading The Searchers by Alan Lemay - the novel the movie is based upon. It was a very enjoyable read, and had the same basic plot with minor character changes and some plot changes, but that happens in every adaptation. The version I read had a preface by Harry Carey, Jr. in which he relates stories about the making of the movie. Fun read to compare and contrast.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Charlie, I read that also. What an interesting change from the movie (or rather, the movie was changed). After years of watching the movie, it was like reading a vaguely remembered book, with unexpected twists...
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Fernando it took me two weeks of solid reading to get through the Spencer Tracy book, I thought it was such a well written and researched book, I got mine on kindle though, I haven't actually seen how big it is.