What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
feaito

Re: What are you reading?

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Fernando it took me two weeks of solid reading to get through the Spencer Tracy book, I thought it was such a well written and researched book, I got mine on kindle though, I haven't actually seen how big it is.
It's big -not as big as a coffee table book- and very heavy...I haven't been able to advance very much. I'm just at the beginning, still...I tend to fall asleep at night very easily or watch some unimportant stuff on TV instead... :?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Nancy, Alan Lemay also wrote The Unforgiven which was the basis for the Burt Lancaster/Audrey Hepburn film. Have you read it, too? I might like to try it and see how many changes happened to that script.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

No, I haven't read that. I am now on a quest! The Unforgiven is a favorite of mine, I will be curious as to what Hollywood treatment was done of his story.

thanks, Charlie!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
feaito

Post by feaito »

Began reading Lawrence J. Quirk's "Child of Fate-Margaret Sullavan", and so far fine. This book was published in 1986, long after the release of Brooke Hayward's "Haywire" (1977).
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

feaito wrote:Began reading Lawrence J. Quirk's "Child of Fate-Margaret Sullavan", and so far fine. This book was published in 1986, long after the release of Brooke Hayward's "Haywire" (1977).
I liked Quirk's book quite a lot, too, Fernando. I thought it gave a better, balanced idea of what a complex person Sullavan may have been. Jan Herman's William Wyler: A Talent For Trouble made her sound very mercurial indeed, which she may have been during that period when they were married. I thought that parts of Haywire were unbearably sad, but was touched by the tacit perception of all the children in the circle of friends among the Haywards, Fondas and Stewarts who understood instinctively that, despite everything, Jimmy Stewart just loved Margaret Sullavan--even though they never spoke of it or pursued one another off-screen.

After recently seeing That Hamilton Woman (1941) again and finding Vivien Leigh's performance even richer than I remembered, I am currently re-reading the fine biography Vivien: The Life of Vivien Leigh by Alexander Walker. Without stinting on the passionate care with which she worked as an actress and the anguish that she experienced as a person due to what we now know was probably bipolar disorder, Walker conveys why so many people still loved her work and her individuality--even when, as Olivier knew, living with her was a daunting experience (though his artistry seems to have emerged from her belief in his greatness as well as an escape from her). I am almost near the end of the book, and wish she could have lived a longer life.

I am also midway through Nobody Said Not to Go by Ken Cutherbertson, the fascinating biography of Emily Hahn, a globetrotting writer who lived an international, bohemian life of enormous scope (she knew everyone, from D.H. Lawrence to Chiang Kai-Shek).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote: I liked Quirk's book quite a lot, too, Fernando. I thought it gave a better, balanced idea of what a complex person Sullavan may have been. Jan Herman's William Wyler: A Talent For Trouble made her sound very mercurial indeed, which she may have been during that period when they were married. I thought that parts of Haywire were unbearably sad, but was touched by the tacit perception of all the children in the circle of friends among the Haywards, Fondas and Stewarts who understood instinctively that, despite everything, Jimmy Stewart just loved Margaret Sullavan--even though they never spoke of it or pursued one another off-screen.

After recently seeing That Hamilton Woman (1941) again and finding Vivien Leigh's performance even richer than I remembered, I am currently re-reading the fine biography Vivien: The Life of Vivien Leigh by Alexander Walker. Without stinting on the passionate care with which she worked as an actress and the anguish that she experienced as a person due to what we now know was probably bipolar disorder, Walker conveys why so many people still loved her work and her individuality--even when, as Olivier knew, living with her was a daunting experience (though his artistry seems to have emerged from her belief in his greatness as well as an escape from her). I am almost near the end of the book, and wish she could have lived a longer life.
Thanks for your feedback Moira. I recall I read "Haywire" half-way through and I abandoned it; too depressing for the moment I was living back when I was reading it. I also read Herman's book on Wyler and Walker's book on Vivien Leigh and enjoyed both of them very much. We have similar tastes my friend :wink:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

From your description Fernando I'm glad I got the book on kindle, I'd still opt for most of my movie books in book form but the Tracy book on kindle was half the price and no weight issues. Glad you're enjoying it although I have to agree, it's not a book to be picked up at night, it to be read when one isn't feeling sleepy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I read Haywire many years ago--back when I didn't really know who Margaret Sullavan was. We had a paperback copy of it around the house, so I read it. I remember being intensely interested in the book. It's one that I would like to re-read now that I have a better idea of who the Haywards are, and have more life experience myself.

I'm a little bit of a biography/memoir junkie. I read lots of them.

Sandy K
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

sandykaypax wrote:I read Haywire many years ago--back when I didn't really know who Margaret Sullavan was. We had a paperback copy of it around the house, so I read it. I remember being intensely interested in the book. It's one that I would like to re-read now that I have a better idea of who the Haywards are, and have more life experience myself.

I'm a little bit of a biography/memoir junkie. I read lots of them.

Sandy K
I should re-read Haywire too, Sandy. I think that when I first read it I had only seen a few Margaret Sullavan movies and had no idea about the tragedies that lay ahead for her children and her.

I prefer biography/memoir/history to anything else, though an occasional novel sneaks into the vast pile of books in my house! I just gave away four boxes of books last week and of course could have easily sent more on their way, but I do like to re-read things after a time. I think that is one reason I loved the Walker bio of Vivien Leigh mentioned earlier that I have just finished. I have seen many more Leigh movies now than when I first read the book and can appreciate the background a great deal more now.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I liked that Walker biography of Vivien Leigh.

A first for me, my house is crowded out with crochet books, it's one thing ordering a movie book or novel but I thought to myself there was no point ordering books online if there was nothing in them I'd want to make.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Lawrence Quirk's short Bio on Maggie Sullavan has truly been an enlightening read and very interesting and absorbing as well. As Moira wrote, it depicts the complexities of Sullavan's iconoclastic, unconventional, and sometimes even contradictory personality. One can say of her that she was a true original and a very frank person; a no non-sense woman. The feedback provided by people who knew her and whom the author interviewed is most telling and illuminating. She comes across as a unique human being.

Her relationships with her husbands, friends, peers, directors, etc. are profusely detailed. I did not know that she and Hepburn, in spite of sharing some personality traits, did not get along and that Hepburn was somewhat jealous of her. I also did not know that Jimmy Stewart was deeply in love with her for years and that he apparently carried a torch for her for a looong time. The author states that due to this Stewart achieved a chemistry with her that did not repeat with any other actress. Sullavan did not care for Crawford (she made several films for MGM in between 1937-1940), but held Norma Shearer in high esteem.

Recommended reading also for fans of Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Jed Harris and Frank Borzage, because they are widely mentioned in the book.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Finished reading Sullavan's Bio; in my opinion the perfect blend between personal life with -with documented sources- and career depiction. Absolutely recommended; one of the best, more concise books I've read lately.

Today I began reading Charles Tranberg's Bio on Agnes Moorehead "I Love the Illusion" (2nd, revised edition). I've kept thinking of Professional Tourist while reading it. :wink:
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

feaito wrote:Finished reading Sullavan's Bio; in my opinion the perfect blend between personal life with -with documented sources- and career depiction. Absolutely recommended; one of the best, more concise books I've read lately.

Today I began reading Charles Tranberg's Bio on Agnes Moorehead "I Love the Illusion" (2nd, revised edition). I've kept thinking of Professional Tourist while reading it. :wink:
These both sound like books I would enjoy.

Since all the finals are graded and I am finished for this semester, let my summer reading begin!

When I was out in LA, I went to the mecca of all film lover's, Larry Edmunds' Bookstore. It's the book nook that I could not tear myself away from.

And, Moira, like you, I delve mostly into biographies, histories, and the occaissional novel. I found Brian Aherne's A Dreadful Man, and I've been wanting to read that for ages since I heard about it here at the SSO. George Sanders and Benita Hume's letters were lovely, and there were several times I just laughed out loud. But, he obviously was a dreadful man in some ways.

Currently, I am reading Preston Neal Jones marvelous book about the making of Night of the Hunter. Shannon Clute, one of our dear Guest Stars and a wonderful fellow in his own right, introduced NOTH at the TCMFF 2013, and it was the most complete, detailed, thorough introduction of any film at the festival. After the screening of the film, Preston Neal Jones was waiting in the lobby to answer questions about the film, the actors, and any other questions passholders might have. He didn't have any copies of his book, but said that there were a few at Larry Edmunds' Bookstore. Well, two days later, I went with a friend, and Jones arrived while I was there, and signed my copy of the book I had just bought! Lucky me. He is a dear man, and the book is thoroughly researched. Jones was in a serious bus accident, and is in a wheelchair and just lives a few blocks from the bookstore.

Fascinating stories he told about the research, and how lucky he was to finally chat with Lillian Gish about her participation in the film. In Gish's own autobiography, she just contributes one line about NOTH and nothing about what happened or her experiences, but Jones elicited some wonderful comments from her. More later.

I just can't put it down, but today is my son's 22nd birthday, and his Chocolate Cake with boiled chocolate icing must be made! More later!

I may not post much on this fascinating thread, but I do read it with relish. :D
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I love Chicago, but it always seems that other cities have the books that tickle my fancy and scratch my itch.

Sitting in the dark at night in San Francisco, I wind my way around the city during the day as an excuse to go to bookstores. And, as with every tour of duty here, my suitcase will be heavier, this time with: Nicholas Ray: The Glorious Failure of an American Director (Patrick McGilligan 2011 -- 70+ pages into it & it's fabulous) from City Lights (North Beach); I Wake Up Screaming (Steve Fisher) from Moe's Books (Berkeley); Mildred Pierce & Double Indemnity (James M. Cain -- got the latter read quickly) from Dog-Eared Books (The Mission); The Hunter (Richard Stark -- the basis for POINT BLANK) from Christopher's Books (Potrero Hill); Black Path of Fear (Cornell Woolrich),Odds Against Tomorrow & Shield for Murder (Wm McGivern), and Of Missing Persons (David Goodis) from KAYO Books (border of Union Square & the Tenderloin).

Also finished the book I brought with me: Black Lace Drag aka The Killer in Drag. Written by a fellow named Ed Wood, Jr. There's this contract killer for the Mob, see? His name is Glen. He gets close to his hits by disguising himself. As Glenda, see? A hit goes sour, so he takes it on the lam, see? She and he have many adventures, including Glen's purchase of a run-down carnival in Hicksville, trouble with the local cops, and falling for the local Lady of the Evening who will indulge Glenda. But we end with a man in drag walking into the NYC bar that Glenda used to frequent to get his contracts. This guy in drag meets a man who gives him a contract. He asks, Who do I do the job on? And the response is, One of your own kind, doll -- one of your own kind.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

feaito wrote:Today I began reading Charles Tranberg's Bio on Agnes Moorehead "I Love the Illusion" (2nd, revised edition). I've kept thinking of Professional Tourist while reading it. :wink:
It's worth reading for sure, much research went into it, but I certainly have my issues with it -- not the least of which is the errors and/or contradictions of fact.

Fyi, a new AM biography is scheduled to be released in July, by Norwegian author Axel Nissen. Titled The Films of Agnes Moorehead the book is focused mostly on her work in cinema, but is supposed to include other aspects of her career and of her personal life.

https://rowman.com/ISBN/978-0-8108-9136-4
http://www.amazon.com/Films-Agnes-Moore ... 0810891360
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-fil ... 1114929308

Mr. Nissen is a professor of American literature at the University of Oslo, Norway. He had been researching AM for quite some time, but I didn't know if/when a book would be published.

Mr. Nissen has written before about AM briefly. She has a chapter in his book Actresses of a Certain Character; also her photo is on the cover. From the overall "tone" of that chapter I received the impression that he didn't really like AM, so I'm particularly curious to see how this full volume will be presented.

I found out about this new book in April. I'm too fond of the springtime to wish July would come along quickly, but this is a difficult wait! :D