What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

This sounds great, Professional Tourist!
I also would love to read the Tranberg book, too.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Chio, travelling inspires one to shop a little harder, purchase more liberally. It's part of the experience. I found my copy of THE BLACK PATH OF FEAR in the heart of Chicago. At The Armadillo's Pillow! (Not kidding!)
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for that info PT. I'll look up that new book. I've found some typos and mistakes in the book I'm reading.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is what I said a few weeks ago.

I got my first science fiction book in years and years. A collection of four great novels (at least, according to the editor) from the 1950's

Just finished the collection. I liked it. Some better than others. But all interesting and other worldly. One is by Frederick Pohl. Futuristic adventure, really. Reads like a spy novel. There's an apocalyptic story by Leigh Brackett, a screenwriter we know. Theodore Sturgeon's contribution is too weird for me. I didn't finish it.

It comes as no surprise that the best selection is Richard Matheson's sadly inspirational THE SHRINKING MAN. Yes, this is the basis for my favorite fantasy film, the exquisite B feature whose title added the word "Incredible." That it is. Matheson's story is exciting, terrifying, spritual and human. Not only does the hero face the dangers of surviving in a world so much bigger than himself. He must accept the loss of family, security, life as any human has ever known it. The story is spellbinding and heartfelt.

I'm not a big sci-fi fan. But I think I'll read at least one more. Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. If only Sugar was aware of this!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I just started something called DOUBLE STAR, by Heinlein. Pretty good, so far. But like the Frederick Pohl work, it's basically a spy novel. It just happens, the enemy agents are from Mars, not Russia!
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Finished reading The Unforgiven by Alan LeMay. I enjoyed it very much. Several plot differences from the Lancaster/Hepburn movie, but the overall story and tone were there. If you liked the movie or just Westerns in general, I recommend this book.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Charlie, I am halfway thru The Unforgiven,thank you for mentioning it. Just finished Mary Astor's My Story. From reading this, I think she never got over her love of John Barrymore, yet, oddly, she only mentions working with Claudette Colbert in Midnight. The book itself was atrociously edited, with glaring typos scattered throughout. Purchased the kindle version on Amazon, thankfully it wasn't too expensive. She certainly had a very challenging life.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Kindle versions, I've noticed, have terrible typos, especially if it's an older book - it's like the copyists have no idea what they are typing.
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Kindle versions, I've noticed, have terrible typos, especially if it's an older book - it's like the copyists have no idea what they are typing.
Good piece of info. WEN. Thanks!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's worth reading the review on Amazon of kindle books, especially of the classic books which might have been released by a few companies. Avoid the ones which mentioned the spelling mistakes and the grammar unless it looks like it's been updated. At least we can sample the books before buying or return them within 7 days but it is annoying, one or two I can put up with but after that it takes away from the enjoyment of the story.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Too cool! I'm reading a "grocery store thriller." The latest edge of the seat suspense novel, strategically positioned on the shelf at the local grocer's. Doesn't matter what it is. I'll tell you more after I've finished it. I just like the way these things are thrust into my awareness! Good marketing. Everybody goes to the grocery!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Nicholas Ray: The Glorious Failure of an American Director (McGilligan, P., 2011) is a fascinating look at the life of...uh...what gave it away? When writing about such an interesting character, it may make it somewhat easier that the subject lived a colorful life. From LaCrosse, Wisconsin to left-wing theater to Frank Lloyd Wright to Howard Hughes to Gloria Grahame/James Dean/Natalie Wood/Marilyn Monroe/Elia Kazan/Joseph Losey/Philip Yordan and on and on, Nicholas Ray is cinema (right, Jean-Luc?). McGilligan's gift is to weave the biography with the story of how the films came about (and, in many instances, didn't come about) and include the warts without being salacious. He accomplished the same in his biography of Fritz Lang (the only other book of his that I've read), so he deserves credit.

One of the more interesting tidbits was that, in the '60s, he spoke of using a split-screen to tell multiple stories simultaneously using 35mm, 16mm & Super8. That was realized in We Can't Go Home Again, in embryonic form in 1973 while teaching college. When I saw it, it seemed to be quite the paradigm shift; it still is, but now I see how thoughtful that shift was.

Two nits: (1) For some reason, he gives short shrift to the making of Party Girl (1958), the film that served as my Rosetta Stone for viewing Ray movies. Most of the references to the movie are related to how the auteurists worshipped it in the '60s and beyond, not to how the movie came to be. (2) I didn't notice this in the Lang biography, but here there is an annoying tendency to repeat tangential information. That can be helpful on occasion as a reminder, but how many times within a chapter must one be reminded that Kazan's nickname was Gadge? I finally let out an audible scream when, on page 357, appeared:

"Budd and his younger brother Stuart....[3 more sentences].

[2 sentence paragraph]

"Stuart Schulberg's older brother, Budd...."

Arrgghhh! Editing by committee? Still, a glorious glimpse of a marvel whose demons devoured him, but who in the meantime gave us They Live by Night, In a Lonely Place, On Dangerous Ground, The Lusty Men, Johnny Guitar, Rebel Without a Cause, Bigger Than Life, Bitter Victory, Party Girl, and We Can't Go Home Again -- one of the best batting averages in the movies.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, ChiO. I had this on my Wish List at Amazon, but I will have to budget this one in to read more now that you have whetted my appetite for this bio of Nicholas Ray.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm reading Dana Andrews biography, what a guy, I like him even more than I did and it's the ideal opportunity to go back and watch his movies again. Thank you Fernando :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm glad you have been enjoying it Alison :D When I have finished Agnes´Bio I think I am going to read my copy.