What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Why, thank you. :D

Uh... nevermind, mine's not new. :oops:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

But CharlieT, your avatar always makes me smile. It isn't the holidays if I don't get to watch Alistair Sim discover Christmas! And every time I see your picture of him, it's Christmas again. :)
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Of course!

To quote the Spirit of Christmas Present:

"We Spirits don't live just one day of the year, but all 365."

And, therefore...."God bless us, everyone!" :D

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Finished the last of the Alan Clayson Beatle biographies. Overall, the history of British rock during the 60's revolves around the Beatles and several other groups - some well known to Americans and others we may have never heard of. All in all, a fair look at the subject and the era.

Now I can concentrate on Duma Key.

klondike

Post by klondike »

Just finishing "West With The Night" (man that title just rules!), the anecdotal autobio by aviatrix/writer/horse trainer Beryl Markham, and it's been one amazing book, as she captures, in chapter-length memory sketches, stirring images of her young adulthood in "that Africa", as it teetered in the late 20's/early 30's between adventurous colonialism & industrial development.
Highly readable, and easily recommendable!
Small wonder that Ernest Hemingway, who knew Markham as an adolescent in British East Africa, congratulated her publication of this seminal work with the fond admonition: "Thanks for making me look like an amateur!"
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Just finished Duma Key today. It read like Stephen King in his prime - an intense look at the psychological state of his protagonist with a little plain old horror thrown in for good measure. Possibly his best since his "retirement."

Now I'm starting The Devil's Code by John Sandford. :twisted:

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Finished The Devil's Code and am currently reading Overload by Arthur Hailey. It's a llittle dated, but very enjoyable. Not quite as good as Hotel or Airport.

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You guys have me so fouled up, I'll be months climbing out. I'm in the middle of Dude, Where's My Country, by Michael Moore, the first quarter of Duke, We're Glad We Knew You, anecdotes by friends of John Wayne, and also one quarter through Baby, I Don't Care, Lee Server's take on Robert Mitchum.

I found the Michael Moore one at the Dollar Tree and had to buy it. He is such a funny writer, although his subjects are always so serious. Then the same day I stopped at Barnes & Noble and found the John Wayne one, and couldn't pass it up, the a friend knew I wanted the R. MMMMMM one so he ordered it for me from E-Bay, and naturally, the day he gave it to me, I started to read it.

Finally, I have a ghostly murder mystery I was almost through with when these three came to me.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
halcarter

Post by halcarter »

Not directly related to films, a book I recently read by Timothy Egan, The Worst Hard Time might be enjoyed by others, who, like myself, have always been fascinated by our country's dust bowl history. A time that spurred so much good writing and thus movies based on the theme.
Obviously, Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath and later meanderings in the pastures of heaven (also a title but used here as text).

This book tells the story of people who did NOT leave the southern plains, people who did (and did not) survive the dust bowl.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I finished Overload and am currently about a quarter way through The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. I hope to get to watch the movie after I've finished it.

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I just finished re-reading Simon Louvish's bio of Mae West, It Ain't No Sin. Very detailed and interesting, but, as in my recent re-reading of Louvish's double bio of Laurel & Hardy, I noticed quite a few factual errors.

It's so annoying - why aren't these caught by the editor and/or fact checkers?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Not reading it yet, but I learned today that early next month the University of Chicago Press will issue A Power Stronger Than Itself: The AACM and American Experimental Music by George Lewis.

If you have an interest in Jazz history, especially post-Coltrane, free, creative, avant-garde or whatever-other-label-one-might-put-on-it Jazz, then this should be a must-read. The Association for the Advancement of Creative Music (AACM), based in Chicago, has been pushing the boundaries of creative music since it was founded in 1965.

For those with open ears, some major contributors to the AACM will be posted at DEWEY'S RECORD PARTY! later today.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Mrsl,

I am so glad to hear that you finally have the Mitchum bio in hand. Fantastic!

Let me hear how you like it, and send more praises to your kind-hearted friend!

Christy
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Finished reading The Andromeda Strain and am currently into Wheels by Arthur Hailey. I guess I finally got the time to read all of those books from the library sale.