What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
norfious

Re: What are you reading?

Post by norfious »

Ah, my copy must be similar to the one you purchased, knitwit45! I found a rather old copy at a second hand store, and I have been unable to take it to work with me to read, for fear of the pages coming out. As it is, the cover sleeve is so worn that is barely stays on. D:
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

After rereading The Great Gatbsy I thought I'd give some more classics a go, I've started on Therese Raquin, I had toyed with James Joyce but there are just too many interuptions in this house for him to make sense.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I saw a PBS production on television many many, too many years ago with the great KATE NELLIGAN of "TERESE RAQUIN" that I thoroughly enjoyed. I miss Kate. ( Liked her in "EYE OF THE NEEDLE" too. )
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

At least, I've read EYE OF THE NEEDLE! I don't read a lot of classics.
charliechaplinfan

Classics is such a huge and varied category, some I love but others I can't get a feel for at all, I would say I like the easier end of the classic scale. My father reads anything that is classic and he doesn't enjoy some of them, a book has to reach out and grab me, if it can't, classic or no, I find that I move on with the good intention of getting back to it one day, of course that never happens.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4040BF]MOIRA FINNIE[/color][/u] wrote:So, what's on your bedtable? Are you reading a good mystery, history, classic, biography, philosophical tome, poetry collection, self-help book, graphic or romance novel? Here's a thread to share your interests in the world of books.
Do magazines count?

I just bought the movie magazine “FILMS OF THE GOLDEN AGE” (SUMMER 2012 # 69 ISSUE) for its article on “THE MAKING OF GREGORY LA CAVA’S STAGE DOOR”

The paragraph below leads the article:
The 1936 Broadway play on which the film ‘Stage Door’ was based was touted by the critics, and it was considered one of the hits of the season. However, when it was transferred to film, the likelihood of it becoming an enduring classic might have seemed slim. The director of the film version brought to the set an unorthodox working style and a proclivity for drinking. The cast included an aloof actress whose recent, sputtering career carried the odor of decline; a workaholic actress regarded as the lightweight half of a popular team; and a talented Texas teen, just arrived in Hollywood, whose dark secret, if revealed, could land the studio’s top brass in hot water. Sounds like some sort of disaster-in-the-making.

It wasn’t. Although, financially “Stage Door” ( RKO, 1937 ) didn’t lose money for the studio, it also wasn’t a huge hit either, despite a very good reception from film reviewers and being nominated for multiple Academy Awards, including Best Director and Best Picture of the Year. Over time, however, this comedy-drama’s reputation has only improved. Today, it stands as one of the best-loved ensemble films of the 1930s, a true gem of Hollywood’s Golden Age. How it came to be is a story worth telling...”
The article was interesting, informative and gave me insight to Hollywood's pecking order...and how to make a classic.

charliechaplinfan

I love Stagedoor, one could imagine it being remade today without any of the charm of the players.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Tell me about the secret!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wasn't it that Ann Miller was only fourteen or so when she started as an "adult" in movies?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks knitty!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The LaCava article that CineMaven referred to above can be seen in its entirety here:

http://www.classicimages.com/films_of_t ... 963f4.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Today, it stands as one of the best-loved ensemble films of the 1930's

And how! As a play, STAGE DOOR is a little more dramatic. The story more intricate. It's good, but complex. The wonderful film tightens it up. Right to the point. No excess. And that cast! They play as if they've really been living together, in that adorable old house. If there's a Hollywood comedy with a better ensemble, I can't think of one.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh thanks for mentioning that great article, Maven and to Moira for posting it. It took me awhile to get to it, but it was worth the wait.

LaCava is a really interesting subject, I like his style and his characters are never cut and dried.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4000BF]moirafinnie[/color][/u] wrote:The LaCava article that CineMaven referred to above can be seen in its entirety here: http://www.classicimages.com/films_of_t ... 963f4.html
THAT'S IT! Thanx Moira.
[u][color=#4000BF]charliechaplinfan[/color][/u] wrote:I love Stagedoor, one could imagine it being remade today without any of the charm of the players.
"Without any of the charm of the players"?? I hear ya. I think all involved ( today's producers ) would be too self-aware, and pick the roles for star value rather than who'd fit what character. ( Think of the recent "The Women." Ugh! Now I need a mental white-out! )
[u][color=#4000BF]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:And how! ...If there's a Hollywood comedy with a better ensemble, I can't think of one."
One, I think, that is the cream of the crop, is "THE WOMEN" ( 1939 ) - now there's an ensemble!!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oy, I need mental white out too.

One other thing Stage Door has going for it which the article hinted at but didn't come right out and say. In the film there are women of all types, but not one is really stupid. They make fun of each other alright, but each is a highly defined individual with flaws and foibles of her own, and of no less real importance in the scheme of things than any of the others. That is the genius part, these are real women, based perhaps on the real life actresses, with dynamics within the group that feel right. You could bring the camera in obliquely from any angle, view it from any of the character's points of view and see an interesting story.... it would still work the same way, a sort of theatre in the round of the mind.