What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: What are you reading?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I finished reading French Women Don't Get Fat which was a better read than I'd expected. Of course a lot of the information is common sense to anyone who likes to make their own food bu there were a few things in it that I've tweeked. I'm drinking lots more water, I've switched to 70% cocoa solid chocolate bars (you don't eat anywhere near as much) I've started making a lot more soups, I've ditched anything low fat and I'm enjoying my food more and there are some good recipes in there plus I've lost a couple of pounds. It was never about weight that could be lost but a healthier lifestyle, it's accessible for any age group, nothing fancy about it and there is no denial of favorite foods.

I'm reading Beatrix Potter by Linda Lear, I'm finding her completely fascinating, the book is well written and researched and brings the society in which Beatrix lived alive for me. I've long been a fan of her books, they were nursery favorites for my children, I could lose myself in the illustrations and she's linked so indelibly with the Lake District which has to be my favorite place on earth.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

charliechaplinfan wrote:The Chaplin book sounds so interesting, one I must buy at some point. I'm a little confused, how did the Chaplin prints find their way outside Chaplin's family? Or were these prints the best available outside the Chaplin vaults and the easiest to obtain?
Because of McCarthy, Chaplin was refused a visa to come back to the USA in 1949. His films stayed in his American vaults. Part of them were recovered by his wife Oona, particularly the UA productions. But the rest was probably stolen by somebody who sold them to Rohauer.
charliechaplinfan

Another crime to chalk up to McCarthy, of course it all makes sense now.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I'm picking up Sizzlin' Sixteen tomorrow! WooHoo
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I finally finished "The Girl Who Walked Home Alone" by Charlotte Chandler - a semi-autobiography by and about Bette Davis. I realize it must be an older book because it sounds like Bette had just died but even at that, it's up to date. Not meaning to be smart aleck or anything, but I enjoyed the layout of this ***ography. It may have a name, but I'm not aware of it. Bette relates some of the stories in her own inimitable style (which cannot be mistaken for the authors), yet others are done by Miss Chandler. I guess I like this style because any praise is given by the author and not Miss Davis. I also enjoyed that as they talked about each movie she made, they printed a short one or two paragraph synopsis about the movies' plot. When you've seen as many BD movies as I have, sometimes they run together, and this helps to keep them straight.

I've read about Bob Mitchum and Ava Gardner both by Lee Server whom I do not care for at all. He seems to look only for the worst stories. I don't recall a single flattering story about either Bob or Ava, and I'm sure they were not total good for nothings. Seemingly Bob rarely sent money home for the care of his kids, nor did Ava try to take care of any family she had (this is the attitude you get from Server). All either one ever did was drink, attend wild drunken parties, and have sexual flings with co-stars.

Lauren Bacall was quite forthright in her story, and I would have liked to learn more about her kids. I know Bogey's son is a producer or something, but very little was said about the others. In any case, this was an autobiography and she chose what to say. It was also actually an extension of the book she wrote around the time Bogey died and how she continued on after him. Slow read (for me) but quite good.

I'm back to a good fiction murder mystery now to clear my head of all the facts I've learned about some of my favorite stars, so off I go to find out who killed the first lady of the U.S.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

I finished reading My Father Charlie Chaplin by his eldest son Charles Chaplin jnr. I took me a while to get into the style of the book, here is a man who idolises his father but can be candid about his father's flaws. At first I wondered how the private Charlie would feel about his son talking about their family life, it was only towards the end of the book that I discovered the true reason that Charles jnr had written the book. After the years of persecution that his father had in the hands of the justice system, paying for a baby who plainly wasn't his, being treated as a criminal and charged with violating the Mann act and finally being denied reentry to the United States, a country he'd lived in for so long and contributed to for so many years. He was unable to go back t ohis home or his studio. This must have taken it's toll on Charlie. Charlie Jnr's book is an attempt to straighten the record about his father, the misreporting, the falsehoods and the gossip from the columnists and the vitriol from Hoover and some politicians and groups.

It's a book about a father, it's has some lovely personal anecedotes, Charlie comes across as a moral man with a sense of the underdog and an independent streak, he would not be told what to do which added to his troubles. Charlie Jnr speaks well of his two stepmothers, Paulette is described in the warmest terms, what a wonderful woman she was, so good for all three men in that house. Oona is also talked about very warmly. It's a lovely book, very different from the usual biographies. For a Chaplin fan like me, it's a must.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Judith - I just found out who's been cast as Morelli and Ranger. I'm wary.

Per IMDB:
Ranger - Daniel Sunjata. Billed before Morelli. This doesn't seem right.
Very handsome and dark; African-American/Irish/ German. Voted one of People Magazine's Most Beautiful People in 2003; nominated for a Tony; known for his role as Tony Rivera in Rescue Me.

Morelli - Jason O'Mara - born in Dublin. 6'1", handsome, but sooooo Irish. And I don't even mean black Irish. Guess I'll have to wait till I see him in action, but I'm pretty worried because I'm a Morelli gal and Morelli's as Italian as they get.

Ms. Evanovich sold the rights in 1993 and has no control over script or casting. Wonder if she's kicking herself now? She certainly is bigger stuff now than she was 17 years ago!

So what's with all the Irish?
(And, by the way, I just mean in these roles.)
I'm waiting for the important info: Grandma Mazur
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I don't really know either of these young men, although I know Sunjata's name. He was on Broadway in a play about baseball players or something -maybe that's the Tony nomination. I have to admit, sheepishly, that I have yet to see an episode of "Rescue Me." Something else always comes up. I've seen only bits and pieces of it.

I don't know the other name at all. I hope this doesn't turn into a "Devil Wears Prada" or "Confessions of a Shopaholic" pretty boys and girls, but otherwise empty, showcase.

I am reading "Fifteen" now -- I saw it in the bookstore and realized I hadn't read it yet. What's the matter with me -- I'm so behind the times here!

Anyway, I had a thought -- Allyson Hannigan as Stephanie, or for that matter, even Sarah Michelle Gellar in the role. They are the right age now, they can do comedy very well, they are both in great shape, and they can both do sexy. I've been watching Buffy reruns lately, and Hannigan's alternate-universe depraved vampire girl in leather is pretty darn impressive.
charliechaplinfan

I'm reading Silent Idol His Life in Photographs by our very own Rudyfan. First impressions, I'm very impressed by the layout and the quality of the book and the speed of delivery. It's the first book I've ordered from blurb.com. I've managed to have quick flick through and read of some of the text, there are some rare and personal pictures of Rudy, something Donna has tried to portray with this book and I think she's managed. You won't buy this book for a tell all about his life, it's rewards instead come in the 400 plus photographs that are held within it's pages, showing the life of one of the most photographed men of the twentieth century. From what I've seen so far it's a book to cherish.

I can't wait to get back to peruse it's pages.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Okay ccfan, now you've messed me up. :D I just checked out blurb.com and I think I've found a dangerous new outlet for my classic movie obsession. Are you saying this Rudy book was created by rudyfan who used this software? It's not from a regular publisher?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

I see you've found the thread about Rudyfan's book but for anyone who hasn't here's the link

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =16&t=4394

I've had a quick look and can't see any other film books in the offing, which is probably a good thing, some women collect shoes, others handbags, with me it's books.

I highly recommend the book and buying off blurb.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Katherine Heigl is cast as Stephanie. She dyed her hair brown and I think she can pull it off; she can do physical comedy and seems like an actress who doesn't mind poking fun at herself. But I'm so upset over Morelli I just can't stand it. If he's not as handsome onscreen as he is in my head I'll be really disappointed. After 20 books you feel like you know the characters, you know?

Birdy
Jonesing for a true Italian in Illinois.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Birdy wrote:Katherine Heigl is cast as Stephanie. She dyed her hair brown and I think she can pull it off; she can do physical comedy and seems like an actress who doesn't mind poking fun at herself. But I'm so upset over Morelli I just can't stand it. If he's not as handsome onscreen as he is in my head I'll be really disappointed. After 20 books you feel like you know the characters, you know?

Birdy
Jonesing for a true Italian in Illinois.
MissB, I finished "Finger Lickin' Fifteen" last night and it was hilarious. Any one of these Plum books would make a great movie comedy, but I have nothing but trepidation about what's coming up. I find most of today's comedies so very unfunny. (And if Stephanie is not using Ranger any more, I'll take him gladly. He is one of literature's great creations, and there isn't a bodice-ripper book I've ever read that describes a more erotic, mysterious, or dreamy man. Every time this strong, silent type utters that one word to Stephanie -- "Babe" -- she's not the only one who goes all to pieces.)

By the way, I've heard rumors that there may be a few Italians in Chicago, but I'm not sure :)
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Ah, so you're a Ranger Gal. "Babe." There are many.

Everyone I met who reads Plum, that's the question: Ranger or Morelli.

B
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I'm reading Jeffrey Vance's terrific biography of Doug, Sr. It's filled with great stories and some great photos.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese