Old TV Westerns

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hollis wrote:jdb1,

Thanks for reminding me that I was born in 1953. MUCH OBLIGED! My sunrises and sunsets are dwindling rapidly!

Hollis
Buck up, Buckeroo!

I was born when Harry Truman (whose birthday is today by the way) was in the White House, and look how youthful and gorgeous I am!

Hey Landlord! Yes, it's all coming back to me -- I never "Bolero" on the first date. We thought that was hilarious way back then. (I wonder if Hollis remembers that line? Nah, he's not old enough.)
Hollis

Nope, not quite..

Post by Hollis »

jdb1,

I was an Eisenhour baby, but yes, you're avatar, which I'm certain is a recent picture of yourself does you justice. You're an incredibly beautiful "young woman." How long will it itake you to get to the Gulf Coast? I'm waitin', ma'am...

Fondly,

Hollis

P.s. to JohnM

I thought the pic you included was Chuck Connors from The Rifleman.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I've checked this thread twice and I can't believe that no one has mentioned Wagon Train! :shock:

I remember it was one of the Westerns that we regularly watched in our house. I recall when Ward Bond died and was replaced by John McIntyre.

And Saturday mornings were not complete until we watched Fury, My Friend Flicka and Annie Oakley. And Roy Rogers and Wild Bill Hickok. And pseudo-Western Sky King.

Wanted Dead or Alive, Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson were regulars. Of course, we watched all of the previously mentioned classics, too. It seemed like there was a Western on any time you turned on the TV. Sorta like the various police/investigation shows on today.

Oh, well. As they say, "Time marches on!"
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I love Wagon Train, Roy Rogers, and Sky King!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

Sky King

Post by moira finnie »

I love Wagon Train, Roy Rogers, and Sky King!
Wow, SueSue, I haven't thought about Sky King in years! Not since some evil adolescent pointed out to me that Sky & his "niece" might've had a bit more going on in adventures off-screen. Jeez, I just liked the idea of blending aviation with Western adventures.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

It has always amused me that in 1961, the chairman of the FCC declared TV to be "a vast wasteland." This was when Westerns were on, as well as "Twilight Zone" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents." Do you have shows on basic network TV now that will hold up as well over the decades?
MissGoddess

Re: High Chaparral (1967-1971)

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:Anyone else find this series a sort of "guilty pleasure"?
I love The High Chaparral!!! I'm so glad to find another fan and one that knows so much about it. I havent' seen it since it very briefly aired on The Hallmark Channel, so thank you for posting that link. I think I like its theme music the best of all the western tv shows. As a little girl I used to think Linda Crystal was the most beautiful creature and I found her life on the ranchero with Leif Erickson so romantic.

I want to thank you also for all the insights about The Rifleman, which is my favorite western of all and you guys have really inspired me to either break down and pay extra to get The Encore Western Channel or buy the dvds.

Rounding out my top three favorites, is Gunsmoke, which impresses me consistently with the writing, though I have never seen any of the early episodes, only the late ones that TV land keeps replaying. Why on earth should a show that ran 20 years only have the last few episodes re-run? I will have to rent the dvds one day.

I discoverd The Virginian when it also made a brief reappearance on The Hallmark Channel and I became an instant fan. However, I do prefer the longer, hour-and-half episodes and especially those with Lee J. Cob. I had no idea of all those high profile guest stars.

Bonanza I enjoy only until Pernell Roberts left. I never thought the show was the same without him, like Mayberry without Barney Fife. :wink:

I hate that they don't make good shows like this anymore. Now there is so much profanity, vulgarity and excessively graphic violence which interests me not a bit.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I thought I'd make a list of westerns mentioned here I've never seen and ask if any of you can tell me does the Western Channel air them or are they on dvd?

Sky King
Wagon Train
Have Gun Will Travel
Wanted Dead or Alive
Palladin
Branded

P.S. And didn't Brian Keith have one for a minute? I don't remember the title so I'll have to check imdb.com.....OK I checked I think it was "The Westerner"...
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

MissGoddess wrote:I thought I'd make a list of westerns mentioned here I've never seen and ask if any of you can tell me does the Western Channel air them or are they on dvd?

Sky King
Wagon Train
Have Gun Will Travel
Wanted Dead or Alive
Palladin
Branded

P.S. And didn't Brian Keith have one for a minute? I don't remember the title so I'll have to check imdb.com.....OK I checked I think it was "The Westerner"...
MissG, Brian Keith was in a short-lived series called "The Westerner," and he also did another brief stint in one called "The Quest," which the Western Channel has been running. That one has Kurt Russell, Tim Matheson and Keenan Wynn in it as well. I looked in on it a few times, and I frankly couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be about.

I haven't seen any of the others you mention recently on the Western Channel, but they should be. All the discussion we've been having on the "Special Weapons" thread has whetted my appetite for more Chuck Connors ("The Rifleman" is already being shown on the Western Channel, but I think he's even better in "Branded.")
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Judith. I have a huge "crush" on Brian Keith so I would love to see his other television work. I think he was a good fit for the western genre, it's too bad he didn't have a success with a series.

I never even heard of "Branded" until I read this thread. Chuck Connors was so great as Lucas McCain, and pretty cute, too! :wink:

Miss G
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Chuck Connors - The Rifleman

James Drury - The Virginian

Cast of The High Chaparral

Richard Boone - Have Gun Will Travel

Stars of Sky King

The Cast of The Big Valley

The Cast of Gunsmoke
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

[quote="MissGoddess"]I thought I'd make a list of westerns mentioned here I've never seen and ask if any of you can tell me does the Western Channel air them or are they on dvd?

Sky King
Wagon Train
Have Gun Will Travel
Wanted Dead or Alive
Palladin
Branded

Miss Goddess:

Palladin was the name of character Richard Boone played in "Have Gun Will Travel." This one is on DVD as I've have in my Netflix queue. I'm pretty sure "Wanted Dead or Alive" is on DVD as well. Not so sure about the others.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."