What TV Miniseries Stands Out For You?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I, Claudius rocks. I paid an outrageous sum for the DVD set several years ago, but it was worth it. Every time I see derek Jacobi in something I think of Claudius. If we're ging British I enjoyed both the Cracker series with Robbie Coltrane and the Prime Suspect shows with Ms. Mirren.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I finally finished watching "Buffalo Girls." Not nearly as enjoyable as I remember it. I never, ever saw so much crying in a show much less a western. Angelica Huston (Calalmity Jane) and Melanie Griffifth being the two main criers.

The storyline is ok but it seems so episodic getting there. Some poignant dialogue but it's too little. Good scenery and good job by Angelica Huston. I think even Jack Palance cried.

Fair.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I remember "Once an Eagle" from the late 70s. It starred Sam Elliott as a career army officer. He was a good, middle-class, career army guy. His career was paralleled by a more aristocratic guy who was a real jerk. The story started in WWI and then followed their interweaving paths to WWII.

This was the first time I saw Meryl Streep. She had a brief scene as a French woman in love with a doughboy in the WWI episode.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Lonesome Dove was another outstanding mini-series that I thoroughly enjoyed. Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones, they both make mean sun-o-gun cowboys!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
halcarter

Post by halcarter »

I noticed this thread from just a while back...seems like a good one. There are many fine mini-series to mention.

Leave us not forget Sir Alec Guiness as George Smiley in
"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". Not long ago I checked out the DVD from the library and enjoyed it as much as I did when it showed up on PBS originally.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Band Of Brothers my husband insisted I watched it with him. I wasn't disappointed.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

halcarter wrote:I noticed this thread from just a while back...seems like a good one. There are many fine mini-series to mention.

Leave us not forget Sir Alec Guiness as George Smiley in
"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". Not long ago I checked out the DVD from the library and enjoyed it as much as I did when it showed up on PBS originally.
I watched it recently too and thought Guiness was superb.

Another good BBC series is "House of Cards." Ian Richardson may play one of the nastiest characters in a civilized role ever. He's so slick and slimy while being ever so charming.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
halcarter

Post by halcarter »

Movieman1957 wrote:
Another good BBC series is "House of Cards." Ian Richardson may play one of the nastiest characters in a civilized role ever. He's so slick and slimy while being ever so charming.
Perfect description. I think we all could name actors we "love to hate"...the late Mr. Richardson was one I hated to love but couldn't help myself.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

SHOGUN is the only miniseries I've voluntarily re-watched, so I guess it achieves some 'favored status', and I can't disregard my huge crush on Yoko Shimada. Crushes seem to be fairly important in my 'favorites' list. THORN BIRDS contained a then-raging crush-idol of mine, Rachel Ward, and that series effectively killed that crush entirely!

While I wouldn't call it a miniseries, one "TV Only Movie" I have always enjoyed and wish they'd release on DVD is the GODFATHER TV SAGA, where Coppola has reassembled GF 1 and 2 into a time-sequential version and added in 40-odd minutes of deleted scenes.

The biggest problem I have with this is, I believe, it's only been presented in Full TV Screen 4:3 Pan & Puke version. Gag. I'd probably STILL buy the DVDs but I don't know if I'd ever watch it. Why why why... I could SWEAR Coppola's known about widescreen presentations at least ONCE in his life.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good evening all,

As I recall, "Roots" has been the only mini-series (somewhat of a misnomer if you ask me) that I have ever gone out of my way to see in its' entirety. Like everyone else, I got caught up in the pre-broadcast hype, but after the first night's episode I was hooked. Aside from the shows that have aired on PBS over the years, it may just be the most important, and best thing I've ever seen on network television. If I remember correctly, it aired over eight (not all consecutive) nights and ran three or four hours per episode. I wouldn't know where to look for verification, but it has to be among the highest rated television events of all time.

As always,

Hollis
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I wonder if the days of VCR's and DVR's is what pretty much killed the mini series off. I remember planning my week around each episode, no shopping on Tuesday night, and no dentist appointment on Thursday, or the meeting has to be over by 8:30 to get home in time for the 9:00 show, etc. Now we just set a timer.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************