100 Years of Mel.

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

What I really find amusing is reading the credits for any toons made these days and seeing how many differnt voice actors they require. Mel would do the whole dang thing and then come back for more, with each voice feeling fresh and perfectly appropriate to the character.

Mel, you da' man.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

OK, Chi0, you win.....I will tiptoe quietly over to Chris's side, and just load the shotguns. anybody that could assist in mr-rectomies for poor little porkers.....I don't mess with dose guys.....

but Porky does NOT drool....he splatters when he stutters, but that's only because Daffy drives him crazy.......
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Well, then, as your little friend would say: Th-th-th-that's all, folks!

(Does that count as the best last line of a movie?)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

ChiO said: "Pretty soon Dewey's going to come along and claim that Krazy Kat and Little Lulu are better than any of them..."

Hey---Little Lulu (comic book version) was better than any of them!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Just curious, Dewey -- did you read Little Lulu when you were a kid, or did you discover her in college or something? I don't think I ever met a boy who would admit to reading Little Lulu, as deserving as she was of being read, the little devil. Bart Simpson owes a lot to Lulu.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Every year for Christmas, my little friend across the street gave me a subscription to Little Lulu, and I gave him one to The Lone Ranger, or Superman. I grew up with Lulu, but my favorite was poor ole Tubby. Kid never got a break.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

cinemalover wrote:What I really find amusing is reading the credits for any toons made these days and seeing how many differnt voice actors they require. Mel would do the whole dang thing and then come back for more, with each voice feeling fresh and perfectly appropriate to the character.

Mel, you da' man.
Indeed he was the man but there were other talents that did some bit parts but didn't get the credit. It wasn't until the late era of Looney Tunes that you saw the other voice actors getting credit.

Oh and Mel Blanc was indeed DA MAN just for his work with Jack Benny.

Go here and watch this great routine. I literally fell on the floor watching it when I first saw it on youtube

CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

Bogie wrote:
cinemalover wrote:What I really find amusing is reading the credits for any toons made these days and seeing how many differnt voice actors they require. Mel would do the whole dang thing and then come back for more, with each voice feeling fresh and perfectly appropriate to the character.

Mel, you da' man.
Indeed he was the man but there were other talents that did some bit parts but didn't get the credit.
True. Arthur Q. Bryan was always the voice of Elmer Fudd until his death in the early 1960s. June Foray did many female voices. And master writer/comedian Stan Freberg did voices in about 75 Warner Bros. cartoons.

One of the audio commentators on the Looney Tunes DVDs (I think it might have been Freberg himself) relates how Mel Blanc went to Warner Brothers asking for a raise. They politely refused him, saying it just wasn't in the budget at the time. "Well, if you can't do that," Mel replied, "then give me sole voice credit in the cartoons." Since it didn't really cost them anything, they agreed. Not until 1957 did other vocal artists receive credit for their work in the Warners' cartoons.

But that's not to take anything away from Mel Blanc's varied and far-reaching achievements. He's probably the most famous unknown actor from the studio era, and there isn't a place in the free world where you can't hear his voice somewhere. He'll still be alive to anyone who has a television set.