Mystery Magazines

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MikeBSG

Mystery Magazines

Post by MikeBSG »

I was just wondering if anyone here reads either or both of the two mystery magazines: "Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine" and "Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine." They used to be available at the local libraries but aren't anymore.

Which do you read? Why? what do you like about them?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm a great fan of mysteries, but I don't read the magazines. I don't know -- I think it's because I'm not overly fond of short stories generally. I like a book-length story that takes it own time to develop and gives the reader some time to think. I used to read Alfred Hitchcock's magazines (I think there have been more than one of those) when I was younger and more impatient, but now I like a mystery that has lots of character development and red herrings.
stacia

Post by stacia »

I subscribed to AHMM for years, and still would if the magazines hadn't just piled up mostly unread. Seems my life got a bit too busy to keep up with it. What I liked the most about AHMM is that the stories were usually high quality. Only rarely do I recall reading a story that was subpar. I also enjoyed getting familiar with some of the regular authors, although my favorite, Stephen Wasylyk, passed away several years ago.