ENOUGH!!!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

ENOUGH!!!

Post by mrsl »

Enough!

If you didn't sit up and take notice at the vehement pronouncement of that word, as you watched Barrack Obama's acceptance speech on Thursday night, then you were sleeping. This is the third time I've listened intently to a speech from Mr. Obama, and his use of words is amazing. He does with words what a conductor does with a great orchestra, or what a good arranger can do with a new arrangement of Twinkle, twinkle Little Star, making it sound like something you never heard before.

I've often wondered how Hitler was able to mesmerize a whole nation into following him, and I imagine he had the gift Obama has, and JFK had. The only difference is, most of us are intelligent enough to come back to earth after the speech is over. But I do recall the 'Ask not what your country can do for you . . . ' speech from JFK, and the 'I have a dream' from MLK, and I believe Obama is right up there with them, if not at the top.

In case you didn't get it, I thought it was a brilliant piece of work, but I'm wondering what the rest of you think? It might make a great climax to a movie some day.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

I marveled at Tony Blair. Before the Iraq war he was more or less regarded as the best Prime Minister since Churchill, yet even when the war turned sour and his popularity suffered as a result, he would destroy the leader of the oppisition during PMs questions, such was his skill with words. He also won a third election, when things were going badly wrong. I can't think of another polititian who could have pulled that off.

I think current PM Gordon Brown is as formitable a polititian as Blair, but he doesn't have the Blair charm and partly as a result is struggling in the polls, though the world ecomemy is about to hit a slump and that won't help his cause.

One question is that should a polititian's screen persona be vital to his career. It was said John Kerry's biggest fault was his lack of personality. Does that mean someone with a dour persona, despite having the ability to do the job, can't be either a President or Prime Minister
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

They need some sort of personality but after 8 years of listening to Bush who can't even finish a sentence without some sort of goof up, it's such a pleasure to hear a person speak about important things and actually make sense with what he says. Several years ago there was a 'clownish' governor in the film The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas who never answered a question. That was Bush, he never answered a question, he talked around it, but that made him look stupid rather than sly because he used words like maybe, I guess, and I hope, or similar phrases which led the listener to think he was just killing time until he could get off stage.

I used Hitler as an example of mesmerizing a crowd. He managed to get a whole country to follow him. A crazy lunatic like him had to have something to be able to do that. That is the only thing I worry about with Obama. He is so engaging, and the American people are looking so hard for someone to obliterate the past 8 years with Bush, I hope we're not pinning our ribbons to a charming sleaze. I don't think so because I've watched him for a few years now, and he seems really on the level, but we never know, do we? As they said on Mahers' show last night, Obama spent most of his time in office at functions for blue collar workers and gathering their trust instead of going for the CEO's, and COO's. I believe he really does want to improve the saga of the American working family.

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I agree with you 100% on Obama's historic speech Thursday evening. On the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, I watched with pride and tears as an African American became the presidential nominee of the Democratic party.

It was something I never thought I would see in my life time and I thought back to all those men and women who had endured so much under Jim Crow legislation. How they had risked their lives to register to vote, how their children were willing to go to jail to break segregation and Rosa Parks. Of picking cotton for twelve hours a day for $3 a day, of the potential and promise that this country holds for all of us.

Barack reminded us of the "better angels of our nature" and asked us to come on the journey with him to make the country and our futures better.

It will be an amazing march to Nov. 4th and I haven't been this excited about the presidency since 1992.

That all said, as a big fan of The West Wing did you feel like you were watching Jed Bartlett come to life? A lot of Obama's speech reminded me of Aaron Sorkin's writing and the speeches that Bartlett gave. It also reminded me in a few places of Sorkin's script for "The American President" with Michael Douglas.

Here's hoping.......
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

During my previous life, I had the pleasure of having some work related contact with Obama when he was a State Senator. My impression was:

1. Very smart.
2. Very charming.
3. Has an agenda.
4. But not an ideologue.

About #4, it may have been because he was in the minority party in the State Senate at the time and I was working on behalf of a Governor in the other party, but Obama would say what he wanted and work hard on compromise to get part of it rather than go down in flames with nothing. I respected that and, as a result, one would be more open the next time he wanted something and we'd be more accomodating than with those making non-negotiable demands. I am convinced that he has vision and will be a strong leader, but that he also has a firm grasp of the possible.

There are some Chicago connections that give me pause, but every politician in Illinois has something that would give one pause. I've supported him from the day he announced; MrsChiO was supporting another candidate, but she came around a few months ago, and is a founding member of "HOWL for Obama" http://mybarackobama.com/page/group/Hip ... WLforObama. She's third from the left and informs me she was able to join even though she's not yet 50 (yeah, right).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
bryce

Post by bryce »

It takes more than rhetoric to govern. I will lose friends if I engage this topic (politics and politicians disgust me - fitting for an autarchist), so that's my only say on the matter. It's a cop-out, but since when has one opinion against the masses ever made any difference?
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

...but since when has one opinion against the masses ever made any difference?

Or one vote. I quit voting after 2004, Bryce, and have no intention of ever returning to the booth. While I'm not an autarchist, I'm an idealist that believes government should be run by honest people. I can't find any, and I don't foresee any great rebirth of the American spirit, no matter who's in office.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Mr. O'Brady wrote:...but since when has one opinion against the masses ever made any difference?

Or one vote. I quit voting after 2004, Bryce, and have no intention of ever returning to the booth. While I'm not an autarchist, I'm an idealist that believes government should be run by honest people. I can't find any, and I don't foresee any great rebirth of the American spirit, no matter who's in office.
How depressing!
Every vote makes a difference, and no one vote makes more difference than the next.
Few people I've met, or even conversed with, have been more critical of the last eight years of American government than have I, but I vote, in every election, so I earn the right to criticize my current government.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Bryce and O'Brady:

Your opinions are always welcome here as you know. You're perfectly right in saying rhetoric does not govern. I agree. However, Mr. Obama listed the things that needed correction, and proceeded to give minor examples of what he planned to do. His speech was timed after all, and he could only touch lightly on each point. I noticed the only things he didn't cover were:

1. abortion - which he doesn't believe belongs in a presidential campaign, as he has stated previously.
2. global warming - which he has given great thanks and applauded Mr. Gore often for his fight in acknowledging. Hopefully we will have a decent government agency, headed by Mr. Gore to examine a world wide attempt at halting, or at the least slowing down of the ruination of our global resources.

Perhaps its just the pleasure of hearing a nominee speak with authority and eloquence without making himself sound like an idiot, or on the few times he does complete something correctly, he doesn't look over at his entourage for a thumbs up like a kindergardener looks at the teacher when he completes the ABC's.

Anne
Anne

Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Anne, I live in Texas, so a vote for anyone not affiliated with the Republican party is wasted, from sheriff to DA to mayor to governor to president. I'm middle of the road on most issues, but far left on some, and even far right on a few. About the only politicians here that come close to representing my views have less than $5000 in their campaign chests, and have to resort to posting letters on the editorial pages to get their views heard.

And with our fabulous electoral college, my vote for president is meaningless. When Feingold dropped out early, and Bloomberg indicated he wouldn't run, I lost interest altogether. Both upfront, tell-it-like-it-is guys, not promising $1000 relief like one side, or gas tax holidays like the other. Just once I'd like to hear someone say "I will raise everyone's taxes to pay off the national debt." Or "I'm voting against this project in my district because it is ridiculously wasteful." Just once. Then maybe my skepticism would diminish a tad...
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Al Gore looks out for Al Gore, just like most any politician. There are surely things to be done but do we really need one more new government department involved in anything? Besides, he couldn't afford the pay cut.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Al Gore looks out for Al Gore, just like most any politician.

Yeah, that's what makes politicians different from everyone else. Why, everybody I know (other than politicians) is totally selfless and looking out only for the betterment of others.

I live in Texas, so a vote for anyone not affiliated with the Republican party is wasted

That's not an issue in Chicago. What's a Republican? I've heard legends about their existence, but I've never actually seen one (or at least one who'll admit it on garbage pick-up day).

Or "I'm voting against this project in my district because it is ridiculously wasteful." Just once.

Illinois, believe it or not, actually had one of those as a U.S. Senator. Of course, he got squeezed out of his party and didn't run for reelection, throwing his party's primary up for grabs, the eventual winner then dropping out due to what was perceived to be a (ahem) sex scandal and the party tapping an out-of-stater as his replacement (that would be Alan Keyes). In the other party's primary, the winner was a young, relatively inexperienced man who defeated a political establishment candidate and a very wealthy man. He resoundingly defeated Alan Keyes. And now he's running against John McCain.

Who says politics ain't fun.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

One last thing:

O'Brady:

The Electoral College kept me from voting for many years, but when I thought Bush might get in again I went running to my Illinois office to be sure my registration was still in effect since I had lived in a different state.

O'Brady and ChiO:

Maybe you didn't see the speech, if not, try to get a copy or find it on the internet. Obama clearly stated he did not believe in raising the average Americans' taxes to clear up the mess that high income has gotten us into, but he does intend to work out some way for those high income people to be taxed sufficiently to make some progress. As posted earlier, he only had a 45 minute slot and he used 44 minutes, but in those 44 minutes, he commented on nearly everything that was debated, or that he has been questioned on (including personal things).

Chris:

Gore is sitting very pretty with not only making his movie, but the residuals from sales and rentals, and TV showings. He admitted (on The Tonight Show), he made more from the movie than he ever earned in congress.

Anne :lol:
Anne

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's nice to see a political discussion that is just that a discussion without it collapsing into disagreement.

I believe in voting, even when my party has no chance of winning. It's my right and it's my time to have my say.

I partially disagree with Stuart, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown are the worst thing ever to happen to our country but Blair could make speeches, I never believed in him and never thought him to have any ideaology at all but he convinced many. I prefer my politicians to be open and honest and work for the good of the country they have been elected to govern none of the last sentence I can attribute to the Labour party, the party is so far away from it's original routes it's frightening. Next election it's looking very likely a change will come.

I'm fascinated by your election, from what I gather from our media they pretty much have Obama sown up as the next President. They will have so much egg on their faces if McCain wins.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ChiO wrote:Al Gore looks out for Al Gore, just like most any politician.

Yeah, that's what makes politicians different from everyone else. Why, everybody I know (other than politicians) is totally selfless and looking out only for the betterment of others.
True enough but not everyone is so public about it.

O'Brady:

Come to Maryland where the Republicans don't matter. 21 predominantly Republican counties couldn't overcome 1 city and 2 Democrat counties. One Republican governor since Agnew went to Washington.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."