PBS "You Must Remember This"

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MikeBSG

PBS "You Must Remember This"

Post by MikeBSG »

Apparently on September 23, 24, and 25th, PBS is airing "You Must Remember This" a documentary about Warner Brothers made by Richard Schickel, who made "The Men Who Made the Movies," which TCM shows now and then.

I heard Schickel interviewed on the radio yesterday. There is also a new book by him about Warner Brothers that will be released soon.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Mike!
Thanks so much for bringing this upcoming program to our attention. Here's a link to the American Masters site with a great deal more info about this PBS program's content:
Warner Bros.-You Must Remember This
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I heard about this too. Very exciting! Warner Brothers made some tough, hard hitting films in it's hey day! Also had some great stars, and they seem to have taken care of their library. It will be interesting to watch!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched part one last night, which covered the era 1923-1949.

Initially, I thought it moved too fast, but by the end of the two hours I was very happy. They didn't talk about "Angels With Dirty Faces," but that was the only important omission as far as I could tell. They struck a nice balance between film clips and commentators, and I think most of the commentators were just right. (Nobody had an obvious axe to grind, for example.)

I look forward to tonight and tomorrow night.
inglis

Warner

Post by inglis »

I watched part 2 last night part one was on Tuesday here.I enjoyed it very much .My daughter kept saying Mom why do you always watch this stuff so much and my reply was its my escape :lol: :lol: .Really good footage of old movies and some great old interviews with great directors.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Well, I watched parts 2 and 3 under unusual circumstances.

I have a choice of two PBS stations, one from Virginia and one from Tennessee. I looked at the Virginia one, and it was having technical problems. the color was cartoonish and there were black horizontal lines on the left side of the screen. So I switched to the Tennessee station, which bleeped out a lot of dialogue and put little black squares and rectangles over the screen whenever naked flesh appeared. So it was a bit irritating.

My thoughts on part two were that they gave too much time to "Blazing Saddles" and "Empire of the Sun," and too little time to "The Wild Bunch."

As for part three, I realized that after "L. A. Confidential" from 1997, I hadn't really seen or liked many of the films.

Thinking about the last two nights as a whole, I realized how little comedy there was. The Looney Tunes gang and "Blazing Saddles," and that was basically it. funny peculiar, not funny ha-ha.

Also, it seemed as if Tim Burton was slighted. He got a brief mention for the 1989 Batman, but only brief. No mention of "Beetlejuice," "Batman Returns" or "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," all films that mean more to me than the entire oueve of George Clooney.

Still, it made for an enjoyable three nights.